Late starting heater

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Late starting heater

Post by 80s-new-man »

Hi,
Wonder if anyone else had experience of this..I thought my heater had packed up , but I noticed that she only kicks in after about 5 mins or so. Before that she’s dead and nothing coming out not even cold.
It’s weird as when she’s running warm the heater is perfect, dash and footwell.
She seems to be stuck “on” no matter what the setting. There’s no difference to low or high or “off” ( middle)..
So it’s a bit strange.
Has anyone ever had such issues?
I’m having the dash out next year so I’m curious as to if I can rectify it at the same time!
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Re: Late starting heater

Post by D366Y »

Are you sure it's actually working? As in when you turn it on it makes a noise and comes on? If it does I'd be surprised as this sounds like the common issue of the fan not working at all, and when you start moving the air is pushed through the car so will work when you're moving but not when you're stationary?

I have this issue in two of my three cars and is a bit of a pain to say the least, need to take the heater matrix apart and check what is damaged and needs repairing

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I've never known a heater motor to be stuck on, I tend to agree with the previous reply.Whenever I build a car now I always strip out the heater box and fit new matrix, resistor and motor.
I have the parts in stock, if you don't fancy tackling the stripdown and replacing the parts just send me your heater box and I'll strip it down, clean the box and refit with new matrix, resistor and motor and bench test it before sending it back.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I had a similar odd issue last year after the garage changed my clutch, heater motor would start up when the car war warmed up. Couldn't make head nor tail of it, then noticed an earth strap disconnected. May be worth checking these.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Caprigear wrote: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:34 am I've never known a heater motor to be stuck on, I tend to agree with the previous reply.Whenever I build a car now I always strip out the heater box and fit new matrix, resistor and motor.
I have the parts in stock, if you don't fancy tackling the stripdown and replacing the parts just send me your heater box and I'll strip it down, clean the box and refit with new matrix, resistor and motor and bench test it before sending it back.
Hi Martin,

Does this apply to the Mk 1 facelift heater box as well?

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

No, only the later BEHR units. They were fitted to later MK2 and all MK3 models. Your car will have the earlier Smiths heater. You can fit the BEHR unit into your car.
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

Thanks guys, and will bear that in mind Martin, appreciate that. I’ll do another check...
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380