Adjustable Car Ramps

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Adjustable Car Ramps

Post by pbar »

Anyone had any experience with these? At around £120 for the cheapest pair on Amazon they seem good value and would make life much easier with the extra height.

stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Adjustable Car Ramps

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
personally I hate ramps, the power needed to get up and then the fear you could overshoot - especially as I don`t have much space in garage lengthwise - so I`d demolish the wall if I got it wrong :shock: . Soluble problem of course and I can see how the height would be a terrific advantage. Bert did get some ramps which (either hydraulic or screwthread) fold completely flat and could be raised when the car was positioned., they were quite good, anything that raises from under the wheels is always going to give you extra height. These do look very interesting. Thanks for posting, it`s something to consider.
(in fact drive onto this, with a set of Bert`s type located under rear wheels and you`ve got a mini 4 post! Very tempting.)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

pbar wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:05 am Anyone had any experience with these? At around £120 for the cheapest pair on Amazon they seem good value and would make life much easier with the extra height.

Paul, I have always been interested in these mate but never bought them. They do look great value don't they. Are they longer than standard ramps... Can't remember now?? I agree the extra bit of height they give would make a big difference. Suppose you would not need axle stands too as these ramps do lock don't they but would a standard pair of axles have the height if you wanted extra security? As said though at this price they offer great value Paul
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the replies guys.

Yes I think these are around 100mm or so longer than the traditional blue ones that's all.

As regards to driving up them, with the normal ones I use a wooden lead-in ramp which works very well (think you might have seen them at some point Steve), nice gradual slope then. Also, you can of course jack the car up and place the ramps under the wheels, done that before, gives much greater height than axle stands, and with these ramps there is extra height to be had also of course.

I know those ramps you mention Steve, they are made in Oldham I think by CJ Autos. I have been wanting those for some time, but they are quite pricey when compared to these ones.

Footnote - with the low profile Clarke jack which myself/Nick/Steve has, you can place the front wheels on ramps and still get the jack under the diff to raise the car to place further ramps/wooden blocks, whatever under the rear wheels, to get the '4 post lift' emulation. I know, I tried it. Great jack that is.
Last edited by pbar on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:47 am would a standard pair of axles have the height if you wanted extra security?
Nick, you wouldn`t need any other support as it does have built in stands. Having said that, I was just looking on Amazon and as far as I can see
"due to the integrated hydraulic jack there can be reached a height of 30 cm between base and subsurface. Normally, you can reach a height difference of 21 cm"
So I`m taking that as a max height of 30 cm / 12". IIRC the trolley jacks that you, I and Paul have will lift to nearly 50cm, and I have stands that will also do that so it wouldn`t be a problem, even with the extra height needed to axle or body (lifting under tyres gives you an immediate 6" advantage). I know it`s stupid, but it looks in the picture like it`s much higher than it is .
pbar

Post by pbar »

I wouldn't take too much notice of the measurements stated, they seem to be all over the place! From the limited research I have done, 375mm approx. seems to be the max height of these.
Last edited by pbar on Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
yes I remember the lead in board, a really good idea, as I also used to get the ramps `running away` as I tried to get up them!! Not sure really about these, they potentially are a great idea but I was surprised the max height was only 12", I know that`s below the wheels so better than under axle etc but would still be better with more height - ideally on the hydraulic part, maybe a scissor affair and an angled cylinder?

EDIT: It`s always like that on Amazon, conflicting info, ofetn in same ad. I just looked at a couple that looked the same. It also says `the solid steel is stainless` which I very much doubt. In this case Stainless -= cleanable.
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:31 am these, they potentially are a great idea but I was surprised the max height was only 12",
From what I can gather, it's more than that, closer to 15" which is quite massive under the wheels, I cope quite easily with the standard 200mm ones. Specification here states 375mm (15") -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SwitZer-Vehicl ... 655&sr=8-4

The CJ Autos ones you mentioned Steve (if they are the screw-up type) are 400mm so not much difference.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
that was based on just a quick look and that one said "due to the integrated hydraulic jack there can be reached a height of 30 cm between base and subsurface. Normally, you can reach a height difference of 21 cm"
They do all look suspiciously similar don`t they? Probably the most accurate figures would be in the Q &A where people have actually bought and will measure the actual dimensions?
pbar

Post by pbar »

Yes just like yourself Steve, I've noticed all sorts of measurements thrown together! As you rightly say, the reviews are a good place to look, I have noted a few where the heights seem more accurate as well as on other sites. They do appear to be higher even when unjacked than the standard ramps, and obviously greater again when jacked up with the extra.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Its good that they dont ramp up the price too much.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Major_Tom wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:23 pm Its good that they dont ramp up the price too much.

Tell you what Tom, stay there, I'll fetch your coat for you! :doh:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Bug wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:43 pm
Major_Tom wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:23 pm Its good that they dont ramp up the price too much.

Yes perhaps you're right, I'll jack it in.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Major_Tom wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:08 pm

Yes perhaps you're right, I'll jack it in.
Thats a let down
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Tom doesn't have a coat he only has a Jack-et
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

Last Sunday at the NEC there was a nice yellow mk1 facelift, supported on a portable type ramp; where it is lifted up from the sills, and you change the angle at both ends...anyone see it?
Are they any good, I think they were £400 or so?

Sorry no pics!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Was it one made by this company -

https://www.cjautos.org.uk/
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

£ 400. Id have to go up in the world to buy one of those.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Not_Anumber wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 am £ 400. Id have to go up in the world to buy one of those.
Spend the money on getting high, but be prepared for the come down.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Not_Anumber wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:36 am £ 400. Id have to go up in the world to buy one of those.
No, the adjustable (non hydraulic) ones from CJ Autos are £275 ex vat.

The ones in my first post (as in the pic) you can get for around £100 a pair.