3.0 Ghia - Problems

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: 3.0 Ghia - Problems

Post by Not_Anumber »

Can you borrow another38/38 carb from someone else who has a 3 litre ? It would take no more than half an hour to swap over and you would pretty much know within the next hour whether it made the difference. Offer a couple of bottles of wine, Capri owners are generally happy to help another owner especially if they are fairly technical.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've got one that could be borrowed - my 3litre will be laid up for a while but the engine starts and runs fine and had no issues at all and I last started it, depends where in the world you are haha

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
caprikid61
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 20l laser getting her back after 5 years away

Post by caprikid61 »

Just a thought but make sure your online fuel filter is sitting across the way not up and down the way . I had the same problem with my pinto it would take a few turns to start her up because the fuel was draining out of the filter back to the pum . I got a longer petrol hose so now the filter sits accross the way so the fuel stays in the filter she now starts first time every time .
PDanher
Car(s): Ford Capri MK3 3.0 Ghia

Post by PDanher »

I think it's definitely the carb at this point. I've no issues running the car for the first 10 minutes, as soon as it hits operating temperature (presumably when choke comes off?) it just loses power; it lacks pull, it sometimes chokes when you press the accelerator to go - and when you turn it off and try to turn it back on it takes a few seconds for it to fire back up.

The only thing that baffles me is that before we had the electric pump fitted, the fuel would just drain out of the system until we slackened off the pump and mauled around with it a bit. With the electric pump, this isn't the case anymore - but it's still losing power and showing similar symptoms after around 10 minutes of running.

I've been in contact with a garage who restore cars, so hopefully they're going to book me in and have a look. I haven't got a clue.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Just a wild thought, isn't there a vacuum pipe connected to the brake servo that if perished or has a hole in it, can not only give braking performance issues but also could bugger up the mixture side of things ?

Apologies if this has been mentioned before earlier in this thread, having connection issues at work at the mo.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

For £ 250 for a new genuine Weber 38/38 (or £ 75 for a Chinese copy) it may just be worth replacing rather than laying out on labour to a garage.

As said, if in doubt try it with a borrowed carb and you will know straight away.
PDanher

Post by PDanher »

Figured it out - carb float was set too low.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Glad it's sorted and thanks for posting the outcome - I wish more would do the same.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

good result and its good to see you have reported back the solution. :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Another thanks here for taking the time to post the answer :)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:34 pm Glad it's sorted and thanks for posting the outcome - I wish more would do the same.
Not_Anumber wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 2:56 pm good result and its good to see you have reported back the solution. :)
pbar wrote: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:25 pm Another thanks here for taking the time to post the answer :)
:agree:
When asking a question etc, it just seems right to reply with the outcome :cheers:
PDanher

Post by PDanher »

Figured I'd reply just in case there's anybody else out there who, like me, isn't as mechanically inclined - and has a similar problem.

And if anyone's curious, I did take it to a garage to look at the fuel problems - all they ended up doing was running a compression test which came back at 170 on 4 cylinders, then 110 and 130 on my 4th and 5th cylinder. Charged me £50 for a compression test. Lucky for me, we were changing the heads for an unleaded set anyway - so that's another problem sorted. :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Thanks for the update you got there in the end ....... :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:23 pm Thanks for the update you got there in the end ....... :beer:
:agree:
Always nice to hear the outcome.