Rear No plate

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Rear No plate

Post by stevemarl »

Hi,
does anyone know what exactly the 2 screws holding the rear number plate actually screw into? I thought I`d take mine out & clean them up a bit, but neither will come out, they just turn as though in some kind of plastic lug which has stripped. Don`t seem able to get at the other side of the panel (box section?). If anyone knows what they`re going into I`d appreciate it.
(It does feel like it`s rotating smoothly, not got the `crunchy`, `grindy` feel of a corroded thread/nut. Have tried pulling whilst twisting with mole wrench to no avail)
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Rear No plate

Post by andyd »

Hi Steve,
Maybe/probably wrong, but I always assumed there are captive nuts welded to the inside of the rear panel to locate the screws.

Edit; A quick search https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRI-M ... 0012.m1985

:goodluck:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

That`s brilliant Andy, thanks! I kind of guessed it was something like that, only problem now is how to stop it turning as I can`t get at the other side :?
Wonder if I can prise the plastic lug out... or maybe just have a night of deoxy-gel and a dab of yellow paint.

(The seller of those fixings has the best address I`ve ever seen: `7 high street, WHITE TERRACED HOUSE NEAR TRAFFIC
LIGHTS NORMANBY NOT A BUNGALOW `)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Steve,
If you wreck your nuts (so to speak) trying to get the plate off, I have a good second hand set you can have. That's if you don't fancy spending a tenner on NOS ones.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Plastic lugs were such a ball ache - mine where ruined on all three cars :lol:

I eventually cut the bolts holding the plate in place off with a trusty angle grinder and just double-sided-taped the plate back in place again, much easier
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

These really are a hateful design. The clips push into the panel then as the screw is tightened the rivenut type thing in the plastic pulls up and "spreads the legs" of the clip, securing it in the panel. Unfortunately the screw then rusts into the rivenut and will not come undone.

I struggled for ages with mine and in the end had to break the number plate to remove it. I then sawed the remains of the screw off and centre punched the rivenut down the clip until it came out.

Refitting I was too tight to buy the new ones and just drilled the plate to go on with self tappers, having put a square of duct tape over each of the original holes to stop water getting in.

:turd: of a job, took quite a while to do.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul G wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:32 pm These really are a hateful design.
You`re not kidding!!! I eventually managed to twist and pull hard enough with a mole wrench to pull the metal part through the plastic outer - this of course happened like an explosion - nearly broke my elbow on the bench behind, and OF COURSE, snapped the f****g number plate at the other fixing/. I got the screw & shite nut things out and even after I`d cut the `nut` with a splitter, even then, this piece was STILL stuck to the bolt (which is not even that rusty) :
Unbelievable! The crappiest design, with the poorest materials ever.
Andrew, very kind of you to offer, but of course I`ve already bought some off eBay, just the `nuts` for £6. So, instead of just putting a bit of yellow paint to disguise the slightly rusty bolt head, I now have to buy a new plate, new fittings, and have a really sore elbow. What`s the saying `if it ain`t broke...`
Just as a final moan, why oh why did they make a lug like that round? I `ve seen similar on other cars, but they`re square so they won`t turn, and nylon so they won`t corrode. Unbelievably poor.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:32 pm These really are a hateful design.
:turd: of a job, took quite a while to do.
At least they could prevent theft of a Capri number plate, even if it's not an intentional design feature! :lol:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew,
I actually wonder if it was some kind of security design, as it would make changing plates very difficult. Why else would you put a round `nut` in a round hole? (Assuming they hadn`t invented double sided tape back in the `70s :) )
I notice the original is some kind of Al alloy, the ones on ebay look like brass, maybe a better idea.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Don't forget though, that no one expected people to be wanting to undo these 35 years after they were fitted! It seems poor now as obviously it is troublesome after so many years.

Steve, I assume that was your original plate that you will now have to change?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Aw come on ... They had to do something to ballance out the poxy rust-easy screws on the bonnet trim :drive:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have the new fittings in stock.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Yes Paul, thanks for reminding me :cry: :cry: :cry:
Why, oh why, oh why can`t I just leave things alone? You`d think I`d have learned by now. But no, I`ll still try to fix a stone-chip and make it bigger and bigger till I have to respray the whole wing! I need protection from myself!!!
I have repaired the plate as much as possible till I get a new one, as you say, it`s the original from the dealer & has some sentimental value. Will try to make it a bit less visible over the winter, but it`ll possibly get me one more run out before It`s SORNed at end of the month. Gutted though, just gutted.
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:43 am Yes Paul, thanks for reminding me :cry: :cry: :cry:
Why, oh why, oh why can`t I just leave things alone?
Shame that, but still just think you can have that displayed up on the garage wall now so the sentiment is still there :)

I know what you mean - the amount of times I've started something then wished I'd left it, we all do that I think. But it will all be done, shiny and new and you will be better off in the end.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Caprigear wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:39 am I have the new fittings in stock.
I`m sorry Martin, I was in a rush yesterday and just didn`t think to ask, got a couple from ebay. I should`ve checked you first.
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

Noticed when I took mine off they had the plastic lugs inserted into pre-drilled holes allowing for plastic screws. Unfortunately one had come out so someone just drilled the plates on with self tappers. You can get the plastic sets of lugs and screws from eBay.

Just a piece of advice when ordering new plates, wouldn’t recommend to use tippers. You don’t wanna get crap euro / metric style lettering and not the proper 3 1/8” British style font. Always check your original size font first, you may also have 3 1/2” which I also had dealer plates on my XR4x4, either look good.
I ended up getting metal raised ones in correct 3 1/8” off polar plates, online.
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

80s-new-man wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:16 am You don’t wanna get crap euro / metric style lettering and not the proper 3 1/8” British style font.
Thanks, yep, really don`t like the new font, the old one looks so much better, and was legal when the car was current so that`s what`s going on. I found this place in Ireland which give you a choice of 3 very slightly different styles of legal pre 2001 fonts, I just chose the one nearset to the original.
https://www.fancyplates.com/buy-plates/uk-show-plates/

They`ll even put the dealer text along the bottom:
pbar

Post by pbar »

If you can wait til the season begins again Steve, those number plate stalls at the shows do these, while you wait, choices of all fonts/styles to suit any car/era that you wish. You can see just what you're getting too.

It's another option anyway.
80s-new-man
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.9 Cosworth Dec 1984, reg. Feb 1985
Ford Sierra XR4x4 2.9 1992
Jaguar XJR SC 4.0 2001

Post by 80s-new-man »

Even better! Yes I cannot see the point in sticking hideous looking plates on a classic that weren’t even around when the car was in its prime. Well done!
Cheers
:cheers:
Capri 2.9i Special 1984 Cossie 24v BOB heart transplant
Sierra XR4x4 2.9i 1992
Jaguar XJR 4.0 SC 2001
Jaguar F-Type 3.0S sc 380
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
it`s already in the post now, I`m quite happy with that as it`s an exact match, and TBH I don`t like putting things aside for later (unlike someone you know who`s insurance runs out Tuesday. £850 or £300: mmm need to think about that.)
Last edited by stevemarl on Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.