Cover or storage?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Calovera
Car(s): Capri 1.6l calypso 1981

Cover or storage?

Post by Calovera »

Hello all!

Just about to invest in my first capri, a 1981 calypso.

I live in london, and parking can be a massive pain for me. I've done my research, and I can either park on the road in a council parking space for about 50 squids a month, just around the corner from my flat.

Or, I pay 150 squids for a garage that's about a 15 minute walk away. I plan to use the capri as a near daily / weekly driver.

Would you reckon it's more economical to save the 100 quid a month towards body work from inevitable rust from keeping it outside, or it's better for prevention by keeping it in a concrete garage that's a bit of a trek away?

I'll get an agreed price on it if someone decides to pinch it. Probably an alarm system too would be ideal, any recommendations?

Cheers!
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Re: Cover or storage?

Post by tejb1 »

Which council area are you in? I rent a garage which is expensive, but luckily 2 minutes from my flat. It's quite fancy as it's an underground parking area with garages off it, so a decent space, with heating from the flats above.
But a 15 minute walk will probably be annoying after aa while and tempt you to leave it on the street with possible insurance repercussions.
Calovera

Post by Calovera »

Only the royal borough of K&c. (Not the posh bit)

In the same breath, I'm waiting to hear back from my housing association about the underground garage that I live on top of, but they won't get back to be until the new year.

Yeah I agree with you on the walk time. Suppose I'm just questioning the general rust rate and how much that will be slowed down by having it garaged, or if it'll pay for itself by saving the money leaving it on the road.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Congratulations of the imminent purchase of a fine car!
If I was in your situation I would rent the garage. You can always keep looking for a garage closer to home, and in the meantime your Capri will be kept dry and secure.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:36 pm Hi,
Congratulations of the imminent purchase of a fine car!
If I was in your situation I would rent the garage. You can always keep looking for a garage closer to home, and in the meantime your Capri will be kept dry and secure.

Andrew.
:agree:
Maybe get a cheap bicycle to get to and from the garage cutting down your walking time, and fit a small disklok to the steering wheel too.

:cheers:
T.M.
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection (1984)

Post by T.M. »

Hi,
I vote definitely for garage.
Capri doesn't have unbreakable locks and of course rust is issue too.

Tom
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Calovera wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:09 pm Only the royal borough of K&c. (Not the posh bit)

In the same breath, I'm waiting to hear back from my housing association about the underground garage that I live on top of, but they won't get back to be until the new year.

Yeah I agree with you on the walk time. Suppose I'm just questioning the general rust rate and how much that will be slowed down by having it garaged, or if it'll pay for itself by saving the money leaving it on the road.
Yes, if you get a HA garage that'll probably be ideal! I work in the unfortunately posh bit of K&C... Live in Islington tho.

I'd suggest with the others, garage if you can plus disk lock it even if locked away.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

A 15 minute walk isn't much so I too would vote for the garage, although it is pricey isn't it.

One thing to be conscious of - most classic car (assuming you will be putting it on classic car insurance) insurance has restrictions, such as a late night curfew. It is very common for your insurer to stipulate that your car must be in the insured place you have specified after 10.00pm for example, unless it is 'in use', i.e. away on holiday, etc. or over a mile from home.

So if you decide one night that you will give the garage a miss and leave it closer to home, you may not be insured. And some insurers do not like the car being located away from the home address, so definitely ring around. I find Lancaster very accommodating and will even insure at more than one location.

Good luck :)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I've just renewed my insurance and they stipulated that if I left my car within 'X' radius of my home address but not on the driveway they wouldn't insure it so if you do go down the garage route make sure you check this in case you can't be bothered one day and park in the street!

I'm going to break convention though and say that if it's looked after well then I wouldn't worry about leaving it outside... I have no choice and both of my daily capris are kept outside, one under cover when not in use (it doesn't make much difference and still gets wet) and have done for around 4/5 years and the only rust that is getting worse is the rear arches because I've made no effort to save them as they need doing anyway.

Underseal and making sure that if there is rust you react has seen me get by just fine
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Well said Danny, and thinking about it I know of several Capri's which live outside, including two close to where I live, and they both seem to live quite happily and have been frequently used (one is a daily) for years.
pbar

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:03 am I've just renewed my insurance and they stipulated that if I left my car within 'X' radius of my home address but not on the driveway they wouldn't insure it
Yes Danny that's pretty much what I stated, I think it is a mile usually. It is to stop people not bothering to leave it where they have told the insurance it will be or to lower the premiums (e.g. in the garage), and leave the car outside for instance. Whereas if it is left over a mile then it is usually deemed to be 'in use'.
Calovera

Post by Calovera »

I'm probably going to end up going with the garage at the mo. I'll see if I can get one a bit closer to home later on.

Just drove her back from Yorkshire today, 200 miles odd and no issues. I hope that keeps it up, I'm notoriously unlucky with vehicle purchases.

Also, insurance wise, got it insured at both my flat and garage. Didn't affect the premium, I'll have a look through the policy wording with curfew. I'm with footman James, amazingly cheap for a 24 year old with no NCB. 400 quid fully comp with a capri club membership.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Calovera wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:39 pm I'm probably going to end up going with the garage at the mo. I'll see if I can get one a bit closer to home later on.
If I were you I would park it on rhe road until a garry rage comes up closer.

Welcome to the camp. For you, ze war is over.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Calovera wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:39 pm
Also, insurance wise, got it insured at both my flat and garage. Didn't affect the premium, I'll have a look through the policy wording with curfew. I'm with footman James, amazingly cheap for a 24 year old with no NCB. 400 quid fully comp with a capri club membership.
Spot on. Enjoy :)