Tell me about: Mk1 Ford Capri

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Lyari
Car(s): 2004 Ford F150

Tell me about: Mk1 Ford Capri

Post by Lyari »

ame across a '74 2.0L 4-speed Capri in great shape, and was just wondering how foolish it'd be to get it. How are they do drive? Reliable? Durable? Practical in any way? Impossible to find parts for? Learn me!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Tell me about: Mk1 Ford Capri

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Lyari wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:03 am ame across a '74 2.0L 4-speed Capri in great shape, and was just wondering how foolish it'd be to get it. How are they do drive? Reliable? Durable? Practical in any way? Impossible to find parts for? Learn me!
Hi,
:welcome: to the forum!
To find the answers you seek, I would suggest getting in contact with the mark 1 owner's club.
http://www.caprimk1ownersclub.com/

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Mk1 Capris are pretty strong on the whole and they are generally easy to work on and no harder to live with than a Mk2 Capri. If you are comparing it with other classic coupes of the same age I can say from experience it would compare quite favorably with say an MGB GT though the parts may be slightly more expensive.

How practical this particular example will be to buy and own depends very much on the condition of the vehicle. Can you trust the seller's description of the car; has any repair work been carried out to an adequate standard etc.

Find out which 2 litre engine it has. The single overhead cam pinto engine would have been the most likely for that age but there's a possibility it could have an Essex V4 or perhaps the small version of the Cologne V6.

Tell us more about it. Has the owner sent detailed photos ?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I`m assuming NJ is New Jersey, so parts locally will be a little thin on the ground. I`m sure it will be interesting compared to what you`re used to. Is it a Mercury Capri or an import?