MOT Exemption

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

MOT Exemption

Post by Mr B »

Hi guys,

Can someone please enlighten me on this MOT exemption rule, I have a couple of Mark 1 GXL's from 1972, both of the car's are already tax exempt but do I actually need to apply for MOT exemption or does DVLA automatically exempt the car's on their database, only asking as to be honest I can't make head or tail of the rule and their seems to be a lot of conflicting views on this subject :banghead:

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: MOT Exemption

Post by stevemarl »

7. To get exemption from the MoT you’ll need to register as a Vehicle of Historic Interest (VHI)

When taxing your car, you’ll need to declare that it is exempt from the MoT process, and confirm that it has not been substantially changed in the past 30 years.

You’ll also need to have registered it as a VHI – which you can do at a Post Office by completing a V112 declaration form.

If it’s not registered as a VHI or has been substantially changed, you’ll still need an MoT to keep driving it.

Full article here: https://www.classicandsportscar.com/fea ... -need-know
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

For the first time you need to apply for (free) road tax for a car which is MOT exempt:

Download the V112 MOT exemption form. Fill it out with the reg number and your name. Sign it.

Take the completed V112 form along to the Post Office together with your
V5 document
Insurance Certificate.

The V5 will be reissued as a historic vehicle.

The next year you can do the road tax application on line.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

In a day an age where everything seems to be done online whether you like it or not, the government never cease to amaze me with their inability to keep up :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Select your post office wisely. Some don't deal with it, you'd need to find a crown office not a sub office, and another one I went to didn't know what vehicle excise duty was!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Not_Anumber wrote: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:25 am For the first time you need to apply for (free) road tax for a car which is MOT exempt:

Download the V112 MOT exemption form. Fill it out with the reg number and your name. Sign it.

Take the completed V112 form along to the Post Office together with your
V5 document
Insurance Certificate.

The V5 will be reissued as a historic vehicle.

The next year you can do the road tax application on line.
Helpful info, thanks for posting.
Knowing my luck the goalposts will probably be moved before my car becomes tax exempt.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:40 pm
Knowing my luck the goalposts will probably be moved before my car becomes tax exempt.

Andrew.
Very likely. A bit like pensions.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi all,

Thanks for all your replies, as it turned out when I went online to tax both car's this week there is a question in the form that asks if the car has been substantially modified in the last 30 year's, once I ticked the box to declare they hadn't the process could not have been more simpler, so job done

Thanks again everyone for your help.

P.S Still going to take the car's for their yearly MOT's though!

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest