Hand clutch

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Hand clutch

Post by Mc Tool »

D day has arrived ,19th Nov, gettin my whole right leg chopped off.
Been planning for a while to convert crapi to auto so as to only need 1 pedal ...and went some way down that track, all the time lamenting the loss of coolness that a 3.9lv8 and w56 5 speed would have had. Then last night after a bit much of everything at the neibours I was offered a blast up the road in a go cart thing powered by a KX500 motor (berserk doesn't begin to describe it)....but this thing had the clutch lever on the gear stick, ah la motorbike ,
Wadda ya reckon :P
Probly have to use an in line booster. This way I have a left foot accelerator , brake stays where it is ,use left (only :xd: ) foot and the clutch on the gear lever. What could go wrong :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: Hand clutch

Post by Major_Tom »

These modern fashions..... tattoos, beards, subdermal piercings and now dominant limb removal.... these young folks will do anything identify as an individual.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yep , the ultimate fashion statement. Nah I ploughed a Toyota starlet with my 900ss at about 80mph ( silly old cnut was reversing back up a humpty back hill on my side of the road an I came flying over the crest.) And after 27 opps I have run out of options as my femur is still not "uniting".
Hit a snag already ....most motorcycle master cylinders are 10 -12mm , I need more like 20mm . Mmmmm.
Oh yeah , thanks for the "young" bit , at 56 I'll take that :xd:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

The best of luck to you. hope all goes as well as can be.
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

Can you not have a steering wheel mounted clutch? F1 have been using them for years and pretty sure they are a more standard fit in the mobility world than one mounted on the gear stick (though that does seem a far more logical place to put it).
Failing that, a V8 coupled to a slightly more modern semi-auto 'box, no clutch required.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sorry to here the news about your leg have you thought about converting to a auto ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

I guess the biggest issue is that I gotta pay for this myself . I got offered an Audi something with a 4.2 l V8 and tiptronic ( it's air suspension was clagged ) but passed it up as at the time I just couldn't be arsed with all the electronics.....probly wouldn't fit anyhow ...all them camshafts make for a big motor.
Been thinkin that normally you'd left hand the gear lever about the gate, then I thought about how I never fell off of or lost control of my motor bike coz I had a handful of clutch as well as hanging on ,braking and steering an all that. Sooooo the only real issue is to hydraulic up something that gives the required travel at the slave cyl whilst keeping lever effort /travel in the range where the Mrs can also use it, a booster is going to be a must, and I leaning towards a concentric slave cyl/release bearing. :D
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

I did consider an auto , got me a ZF 4hp22 and all the nessessary crap, but then ,as I alluded to in my 1st post a 5 speed is way cooler , specially with a fast road cam,and the ally flywheel and twin plate 7 1/2" clutch I drooling over, I don't wanna be poncing about with balancing glasses of water on the bonnet , my car will shatter the glass :whistle: :burnout:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Wow mental way to lose a leg... thought you were going to say too many sugary drinks or something like that, but you went th old skool route!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Yep good luck with everything fella both your own well being and your plans for your Capri. Hope you can get it rigged up so you can still drive it.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

NOT driving it is not an option :twisted: . My Toyota car has been converted to left side accelerator ,. It has a pedal on each side that are connected together by cable and when you put one pedal down the other flips up out of the way.........cnut of a thing :swear: ,nearly killed myself 50 times in the 1st 5 mins :x , but I figure that once I only have one foot there can't be any more "confusion" ....ha ha , them 2 German tourists leaping for their lives over the lakefront wall in Queenstown ...... as I powered up over the footpath.....because it's not a clutch ,........fuck that was funny ....shoulda seen Their faces, then I had 3 of them ( Mrs took their side ) screamin at me . Any how ,if that's what it takes to drive my Capri then that's it .....but I'm going to try for the manual 1st
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

:lol: :lol: :lol: Brilliant !!!! Love it !!!!

Yep anything can be modified these days. See it all the time on Fantom Works ! :lol: Its just finding the right option that works for you and keeps you from scaring everyone else. But they will hear you coming first :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cant wait to see updates mate. All the best

Nick
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

What about a lever above the gas pedal, microswitch, and an electric clutch actuator (a la Smart semi). I`m thinking: come off the gas, flick up to disengage clutch, change gear, lever springs back down to re-engage and back on the gas? Just an idea.
B.T.W. very best wishes with the leg, hope all goes well.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hopefully you can pick this video up as one of the chaps on capri World on fb had his Dad engineer a legs free 'manual' hand controls for his Capri to give him the real driving experience. It's amazing.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/538524806 ... 7738811600

If you want I can try to put him in contact with you mate. He was happy to offer any advice to anyone wanting similar. This was a few months ago but I can try to get hold of him and pass on your email if you pm me? Just a thought as his dad is an engineer and designed these controls himself. Maybe he can give you some ideas??

Or better still if you are on fb you can contact him yourself.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:18 pm What about a lever above the gas pedal
I dont think my Capri has one of those.. :whistle: