Diff carrier bearings

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Diff carrier bearings

Post by Mr B »

Evening all,

Can anyone tell me how to differentiate between the noise of outer wheel bearings and the differential Carrier bearings?

Mr B
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Diff carrier bearings

Post by Mc Tool »

:xd: carrier bearings don't leak oil when they are knackered :lol:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Mc Tool wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:38 am :xd: carrier bearings don't leak oil when they are knackered :lol:
You been drinking again MC? :lol:
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

If it`s the Diff carriers the noise will just be speed related. If it`s the outer wheel bearings they will hum or whine when the load increase, such as when going around a bend, roundabout etc. So if you go round a RH bend (weight thrown onto LH wheel ) and the hum worsens it`s that wheel, if on a LH bend it will be the RH bearing. If it hums going round a roundabout it`s the LH wheel, exiting a roundabout it`s the RH wheel.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Oh ,I had a much better answer than that :poke: :xd: , but when I tried to submit it poxy website want me to log in (I had already ) ,told me the same password was wrong twice and right once and deleted my dissertation .....so I thought fuck this , where's the gin. :P
Went something like this :burnout:
Unlikely that both wheel bearings would wear out at the same time , thusly any wheel bearing noise would tend to come from one side only, then I said that an assistant with a good ear in the back seat may be beneficial. I also said that I'd be surprised if you could hear carrier bearings ( unless they are really firetrucked ) being as how they are wrapped up in cast iron and oil dampened, where as the wheel bearing was out there in the breeze and attached to the (resonant ) spring so probly louder. And finally I said that it ain't so hard to yank out the axle ( wheel off , drum off , undo the 4 bolts and pull it out , don't have to touch the brakes ) and check the bearing . Usually a wining diff is the pinion bearing /gear meshing when the pinion gets a bit loose in its tapered bearings :D
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Apologies guys I should have been a bit more specific, the noise I'm getting starts at around 40mph and it doesn't matter if it's light acceleration or I'm gunning it but if I take my foot off the gas then the noise disappears, I wouldn't describe the noise as a whine - more of a humming sound

Wayne
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

As said, that sounds like the pinion /crownwheel adjustment is bad, suggesting the pinion bearings have worn. (May be worth checking the nut on the pinion flange has not come loose as apparently that can happen. There`s a crushable spacer behind it, but if it`s obviously loose can`t do any harm to tighten up?) The carriers aren`t really loaded by power on/off, nor is the gearbox shaft bearing.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Thanks for replying Steve, I will check the tightness of the pinion nut as advised, as it's an LSD Axle any repairs that need to be done by a pro will be worth it judging by the crazy prices these axles are commanding now days

Wayne
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Yep Def sounds like a loose pinion . What happens is under load the pinion get pushed toward the front of the diff which allows the c/wheel and pinion mesh to go wild. When you lift off the throttle the pinion is then dragged towards the rear of the diff . If the pinion nut gets loose enough the pinion can start hitting the diff carrier on over run and if it gets bad enough it will fire the pinion out thru the diff housing and onto the road ( CNR Herbert and Kelvin st's )
I heard my (MK4 Tina ) diff clunking on over run ,figured what it was and being automatic I was able to keep the diff loaded by keeping one toe on the accelerator when braking......untill I got my feet mixed up and ......kafucken boom,we had to tow it backwards much to the amusement of the towing driver ( Rodger Kyle )who immediately floored it draggin me backwards at about 50kmh .....thru residential streets. Beats the shit out a me how I never hit nothing,swinging round on the end of the tow rope, just about the wildest ride I ever had :lol: