Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:58 am
pbar wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:09 am
Jasonmarie wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:58 pm Yes i think I had a few of them at school , good old days I Know I had the boat one with trips on the ferry with a Toblerone :lol:
Great :) Thank Jason, they really were mesmerising weren't they.
Funny I mention to my wife , Marie last night if she remembers and she recalled having a horse one for school . Funny how really small objects can send you back in time with fond memories.....
Very true that is Jason. Some things just stick in your mind. I have loads of things like this which bring up great memories.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 2:15 pm I know someone called Pauline who`s got a massive collection..
"Not me pen's, Ross.........." *sobs :crying: :lol:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

79p in Aldi :D
snapshotimagehandler_763039917.jpeg
pbar

Post by pbar »

I've has some of those fish n chips :) Exellent nod to the past and very nice indeed I must say.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:12 pm I've has some of those fish n chips :) Exellent nod to the past and very nice indeed I must say.
Hi Paul,
Tbh I had forgotton all about them, but spotted them last week as we were on the way out the door, so today they were in the basket straight away!

I bag isn't enough though :D
pbar

Post by pbar »

The music centre used to be a major part of living room furniture. Of course we have it all miniaturised now in the digital world. But it was a far more fun and rewarding experience like this.

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:12 am The music centre used to be a major part of living room furniture. Of course we have it all miniaturised now in the digital world. But it was a far more fun and rewarding experience like this.

Love it Paul :D

Throughout the 70's and into early 80's I played all my records on one similar to this. It was my Dads that he had when he was 21 iirc.

We then had a music centre about 1981, and I had a twin cassette radio for bedroom use. Dad kept the radiogram until 2010 when cleared out his house! Takes up room so was not practical to keep :(
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy :) The music centre - was that one of those with the perspex lift up lids? They were space age!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:28 pm Thanks Andy :) The music centre - was that one of those with the perspex lift up lids? They were space age!
That's the one Paul, with built in tapebeck and twin speakers :) Just right for blasting Heavy Metal :guitar: :D

Got a top loading VHS video recorder around that time too, just right for watching Heavy Metal :lol:

Happy Days!!!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Superb Andy, made me smile that did. Those were truly outstanding times for technology, we all became wizards!
pbar

Post by pbar »

Goodness me yes, a first and second post, who remembers that?!

andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:50 am Goodness me yes, a first and second post, who remembers that?!

I remember it Paul.
Now our post comes anywhere between 7am and 4pm :?

On the news this week it said that the milkman is becoming popular again partly due to people wanting to cut back on plastic bottles.

I also remember the baker bringing bread and cakes to my Grans house in the 70's and early 80's too :)

Great thread this and over 3 years old, first post ( :lol: ) was November 18th 2016.

Long may it continue before we run out of things that were worth remembering :?

:cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks Andy, three years?! It really does fly, but there is an abundance of fine things yet so don't worry :)

Delivery guys back then were more like mobile corner shops, I helped out on a milk round at one time, yogurt, bacon, eggs, we delivered all sorts.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:23 pm Thanks Andy, three years?! It really does fly, but there is an abundance of fine things yet so don't worry :)

Delivery guys back then were more like mobile corner shops, I helped out on a milk round at one time, yogurt, bacon, eggs, we delivered all sorts.
Liquorice all sorts ?? Never keen on those :D

Yes it was always good to have delivery men especially if you couldn't get out to the shops.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I was a postman and did two deliveries a day back in the 80s :beer: postman use to deliver xmas day as well before the war ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mk3 Mags
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Post by Mk3 Mags »

I remember it well – two posts a day, the butcher, the fishmonger and even further back the rag and bone man and the man who sold firelighters from his pony-drawn cart. And I never gave up on the milkman. He still delivers milk to us three days a week, and lots of other goodies too if we want them. He provides an excellent service.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Mk3 Mags wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:25 pm I remember it well – two posts a day, the butcher, the fishmonger and even further back the rag and bone man and the man who sold firelighters from his pony-drawn cart. And I never gave up on the milkman. He still delivers milk to us three days a week, and lots of other goodies too if we want them. He provides an excellent service.
Well done Mags :)

Were the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's better or were people just happier in general :headscratch:

Growing up in the 70's/80's I think we were more content with what we had and seemed happier, or was it being younger without too many cares at that age :?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Total agree with you both ....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Mk3 Mags
Car(s): 2.0 Laser (semi-retired)

Post by Mk3 Mags »

andyd wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:38 pm
Well done Mags :)

Were the 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's better or were people just happier in general :headscratch:

Growing up in the 70's/80's I think we were more content with what we had and seemed happier, or was it being younger without too many cares at that age :?
I’m sure there was an element of not yet having acquired the responsibilities of adulthood but if that were the case why are so many youngsters these days suffering from mental health problems?

I’d say life was generally less stressful because it was simpler and our expectations were lower. It certainly wasn’t easier. My family had no car, no TV, no central heating, etc. and for entertainment we were happy to roar up and down the pavement on a pair of metal roller skates adjusted by wing nuts or a cart made out of an old orange box with pram wheels and a rope for steering (Health and Safety would have a fit!).

Nothing cost a lot and we reused or recycled everything we could – milk bottles rinsed and returned; soft drink bottles taken back to the shop where you got a few pence back for them; silver paper and milk bottle tops collected for Guide Dogs for the Blind. I can even remember my parents telling us to remove the wrapping from Christmas presents very carefully so that it could be smoothed out and used again the next year. The useable pieces got smaller and smaller as the years went by.

Sounds sad, doesn’t it? But we worked hard at life in those days and were very grateful for whatever we had.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Mk3 Mags wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Sounds sad, doesn’t it? But we worked hard at life in those days and were very grateful for whatever we had.
That's the reply I was expecting :)
I remember it but wouldn't say it sounds sad, as you say it was the make do and mend policy for many and making your own fun.

Some people will always have more than others, but I'm glad I grew up without social media, it's pretty much what is wrong with youngsters today imo, many have so much but they aren't as happy as we were with a bike and some other toys etc.