Dans Capri II project.

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Danthecapriman
Car(s): 1974 Ford Capri mk2 1.6L restoration project.

Re: Dans Capri II project.

Post by Danthecapriman »

Losing that headlight was very annoying. But, I’m just thankful it wasn’t the much rarer door mirror that was in the same parcel that got damaged. The headlight is bad but you can still get them reasonably easy but the mirror is much more difficult to get.
All wasn’t lost however as the seller managed to claim against the courier and I got a full refund. I’ll just keep an eye out for another headlight.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

This weekends progress.

Time to get the dashboard shell back in. This should make it easier to get the cabin wiring loom organised properly and route things where they’re going to be going.
My cars original dash is unfortunately in a bad way. It had a split in it when I bought the car all those years ago, but it’s gotten much worse since. It’s got a few splits now and the perforated speaker bit on top has pretty much rotted and disintegrated in the years of sun light. It’s far to far gone to be of much use.
Options for a replacement aren’t ideal either. There are no new ones, so that’s out. There are fibreglass casings available but I’m not 100% convinced by them tbh plus, they’re in grey. I could paint one in the required black but how well that’d last I don’t know.
The last option is find a good used part. This was my best bet so I kept an eye out for one in black. Eventually one turned up on eBay so I decided to bag it.
It’s a 100% improvement over the original, but even so it’s still got its problems.
First, although the top is just about perfect, there’s a couple of small cuts in the front face on the vinyl. It’s not really bad and I can use some glue to make it better but it’ll never be invisible. There’s also a slight scratch to the vinyl under the top, where the binnacle facia fits in, it looks like the facia has been taken out a bit carelessly at some point and scratched the vinyl on the way out. It’s barely visible though unless you really look hard.
The last issue is that this dash is from a Ghia, so it’s got that little grab handle on the passenger side whereas an L spec car shouldn’t have it. It does bug me a little bit but it’s the best I can get so I’ll just live with it!

Here’s the old and new comparison.

Image1FEE5BF4-6762-47C4-B3ED-4C0D94879C4A by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Image78789040-544D-461D-A136-5830B3A8F46A by Dan Clark, on Flickr

I had to transfer over the two fresh air vents from the old dash, these went in a bath of warm soapy water first as they were very dusty on the back. The dash light dimmer was also swapped over and I pinched a few of the clips and fittings too.

Next was to carefully get the dash shell into the car without scratching anything.
I was expecting a bit of a fight with this job tbh but I needn’t have worried! I placed it roughly where it needed to go, gave it a tap on one end and it fell straight into place first try! That’s how I like things!!
Screwing it in went easy and it seems to fit really well.

Image8F37A831-6CEC-43FF-9BDA-8F4B35CF8BB5 by Dan Clark, on Flickr

Image6105A460-F165-4A71-ACA9-FFEE2872E93F by Dan Clark, on Flickr

The towels over the windscreen were a necessity! It was a sunny and hot day on Saturday and the hot sun was shining straight through the windscreen on me while I was laying on the cars floor doing various things under the dash.

I’ve got the two windscreen interior surround trims back on, one is a bit bent so I’ll have to remove it and straighten it out a bit. The wiring has also been tidied up much better and run where it should be. And I’ve also reinstalled the two air vents that blow onto the screen since they’re easy to get access to at the moment.

The next job was to double check the front wiper mechanism was all ok.
This had been installed loosely to get the alignment right for the repairs to the cars scuttle panel, then after paint it was just put back in again loose.
I’ve dropped it down, checked all was ok then put it back in place. I decided I’d best double check it as access is good at the moment and it won’t be for long once the dash starts going back together.
After a bit of confusion about how the washers, seal and spacer fit back on (I’d completely forgotten how it went after over three years - I should have taken more photos before really...), and some assistance from a member on here, I’ve got it all back on and fitting well.
Luckily I’ve got two sets of all the fittings for the wipers so I’ve taken my original ones and rubbed them down, primed and sprayed them in black.
This means while they were drying I could use the scabby spare set to fit and do a dry run with before doing it all permanently with the good bits.
Once the paint is dry I’ll swap them over one at a time so everything stays where it is now. Then I can carry on getting the dash fully built up and finish the wiring in it.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sounds like you have been busy and what a hot weekend to carry out such a job . Take my hat of to you as this is not a job I would fancy tackling but there again nor would my back :lol:
Thanks for update and look forward to more :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Jasonmarie wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:06 pm Sounds like you have been busy and what a hot weekend to carry out such a job . Take my hat of to you as this is not a job I would fancy tackling but there again nor would my back :lol:
Thanks for update and look forward to more :beer:
Cheers!
It was hot, I was sweating my nads off in the car. You could feel the heat coming down from the roof. I’m not going to complain though, I love the sun!
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

I’ve not been on here much lately, but have another update from the last month or so.

The instrument cluster etc has gone back into the car along with the dash facia and radio.
0E4DA32D-DFDD-41B0-A838-4CA16A4C07B0.jpeg
I still need to fit the aerial to the wing and drill a little hole in the A post/kick panel area for the wire.

I also refitted the washer bottle. My original one was absolutely minging though and the cap was split so I got a new old stock replacement off eBay. It looks much much better than the scum encrusted old one!
While doing this I encountered a bit of a problem. These early cars use a different bottle and pump to later cars, and I can’t find any replacement new washer pumps. They’re a funny type with a tiny inlet tube. Luckily I’ve managed to clean up the original one and it works ok. Looks a bit rough but you can’t see it easily so I’ll leave it.
59A273AA-B8C0-448F-A6FE-BDF165720424.jpeg
6A30309F-D667-4F3E-BE95-BA401C2865F3.jpeg
Also refitted the refurbished fuse box. All cleaned up, contacts all cleaned and new proper ceramic fuses fitted (yes they are in the wrong order! ;) ) it’s also got new screws, spacers and foam gasket.
A963ED53-D043-4603-BE57-6394A9D77351.jpeg
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Here’s the dash facia etc back in place. I decided to stick with the wood effect facia! I like that authentic faux 70’s tree effect!
3D7A7870-9E9C-43EA-B18C-4DBFB8D1882E.jpeg
E6986164-E00B-4361-BA68-2FBAD68DB278.jpeg
The radio is an aftermarket Radiomobile item. This car is such a low spec one it didn’t have any radio originally but someone fitted this one at some point. It’s been in the car longer than not so I’ll be retaining a radio...
However, it’s looking a bit ropey and not working too well so I had a look around and bought this,
8A1D2753-FC40-4C48-A02F-5678F37947D4.jpeg
It’s still a classic Radiomobile but it’s a better one, it’s also been completely refurbished and cleaned up. But, it’s also got the ability to connect to an iPod/mp3 player and play from that through the radio and cars speaker which will do me just well. Means I can play my favourite metal music now! :twisted:

I also took the opportunity to replace the brake servo pipe. My car has always been missing it’s metal pipe. Instead having just a length of vacuum hose the whole length. It looked crap though so I bagged a good used metal part off eBay. I rubbed it down and sprayed it with etch primer. I was going to paint it black, but these are usually that anodised gold/silver colour from new. I can’t replicate that at home so instead I sprayed it in this cars previous body colour - Roman Bronze! A nice little nod to my cars past!
7C99191D-1FC8-45B9-ACE3-4F579E3F8828.jpeg
Looks much better with this instead of that rubber hose.
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

Coming along nicely.
A notice you've fitted Silentcoat (or similar), did you strip the original stuff or just go over the top?
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Cosmicbike wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:46 pm Coming along nicely.
A notice you've fitted Silentcoat (or similar), did you strip the original stuff or just go over the top?
It is SilentCoat. Seems to be good stuff. The old stuff was stripped off first, the blasting took that off when the shell got stripped back.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Next bits were the clutch, choke, throttle and bonnet cables.
The clutch cable was no bother, the old one was a Ford part and the new non oe one matched well and fitted fine. Adjusted it up and now I’ve got a fully functional clutch again for the first time in years.
The throttle cable however was different to the new one I already had! The new one is much longer than the original and the end is different too. I checked the original over and it is all ok for reuse so I’ve cleaned it, oiled it up and reused it. I’ll just need to paint the bracket as it’s a bit grubby.

Is there supposed to be a clip of some sort for the throttle cable where it connects to the pedal? I’m sure there is but I can’t find one anywhere or remember what it’s supposed to look like!? At the moment the cable keeps jumping out of the slot in the pedal!
7A13F844-B8E0-40F9-9ACD-547FA5BA8608.jpeg
1F9C0DF2-8C61-4783-819A-0796B5A04AF9.jpeg
The bonnet cable is also now fitted, just needs the hook and spring fitting to the bonnet and that’s done. Choke cable is also back on and working ok.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

I got bored of doing stuff around the dash and front end so next I made some progress in/on the boot.

First job was fit the gas struts for the tailgate. Believe it or not they’ve never worked on this car as long as I’ve had it :oops: I don’t know why but I’ve just never bothered to fix it!
Now though things are different so I got a reconditioned pair from Capri club, they’re the bolt on type on my car.
Fitting the first one was easy, the second proved to be a right pain. The brackets that bolt to the shell and hold the end of the gas strut are supposed to be held by a bolt into a captive nut inside the top of the rear quarter panel... of course one of the captive nuts had fallen out on my car and you can not get access to the back of this place to put a nut back. I’ve temporarily sorted it by tapping a thread into the hole in the shell and using a bigger bolt to hold the bracket. Works ok and you won’t see it as it’s covered by the interior trims but I’m not convinced it’ll last very well once the tailgate starts opening and closing. Someone on another forum suggested using a rivnut which I’d not thought of, so I’ve bought a rivnut tool and will try it. Fingers crossed.
Anyway, it’s ok for now and the result is that my tailgate now opens and stays up too, which is a first for me!
Next task was routing the rear section of the wiring loom into place, I’ve got it held down in the original little metal tangs Ford used and I’ve even managed to retain all the little plastic sleeves to stop it chafing the loom too.
The wire for the heated rear screen is in place and all the earths are also connected up. I’ve had to grind paint away for these so I can get a good earth contact and I’ve used a thin smear of conductive silver grease to stop corrosion too.
8146BD61-4F02-4781-A504-F28C450A5AEB.jpeg
8F09D41A-764B-4A8D-B428-70ACE5D8605D.jpeg
231EB0A2-EED1-40D7-9C32-78386F03F504.jpeg
I’ve also fitted some of the Silent Coat sound deadening pads into the rear quarters, tailgate and boot floor area. I didn’t go overboard with them here as it’s pointless covering everything in it here, and in the case of the boot floor I don’t want to lose too much of the blue paintwork! Just enough in a few places should do the job.
After that, I went wild with the Dynax S50 cavity wax! Both rear quarters are covered inside, paying particular attention to around the wheel arches. Then the tailgate itself was treated the same, all around the frame (around the glass) and plenty in the lower edge. Then the rear panel behind the number plate area. Loads in there then I left it to drip dry in the sun so the wax soaks well into all the seems and joins.
I’ve also done all the chassis rails, sills etc etc the same way. While I was at it I used some Dynax UB clear wax under the boot floor/wheel wells. This stuff is thicker underbody wax but being clear when dry means you keep the body colour intact underneath. I did the boot floor now as the fuel tank etc is currently out of the car.
That should help keep rust at bay for a while.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Quite a bit done over the last months worth of weekends and odd hours here and there.

Firstly, the starter motor is back in the car after a clean. It’s an old inertia type showing the cars age a bit! This actually needed nothing apart from a clean up. Then I dug out the old battery cable, which came up pretty well after a good clean with degreaser. The terminals have had a good scrub up with a scouring pad too just to get a good contact, then they went back on along with a new battery. I’ve taken the time to fit one of those acid neutralising mats under it first just in case. And yes, I do have a pair of round battery post converters!
D6F64EB6-7FCF-4F57-9B16-81784FCAE416.jpeg
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Next job, lighting.

First to go back on was the rear end lights. The number plate lamps are my original ones but cleaned up and the electrical connectors all cleaned to bright metal with a fibreglass pen then new bulbs. They fitted back in perfectly apart from me getting my fingers covered in cavity wax from poking the wires back through the rear panel (which I’d filled with wax!). I’ve put a very thin smear of sealer around the holes in the body just to stop moisture getting in.
Then the brand spanking new rear lights. These are new old stock Ford complete light units, still in their original Ford boxes which I got from France. Not cheap but I couldn’t reuse the battered originals! They didn’t come with any gaskets for the light - body join though so I had to make a pair.
Last little job here was to fit the old rear number plate. I got a new fitting kit for this with the screws, seals and those weird little nuts. The plate itself is an old ally one with the raised plastic numbers/letters riveted on.
3DE355C2-CFD7-410D-A0AE-9F689A2B5C98.jpeg
BB423B90-D1FE-42A3-92D8-41208552AA26.jpeg
28C4B7F1-E1C3-4FEE-8C2D-216FA1B6C4E9.jpeg
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Front lights next!

These took a bit more effort to fit as I’ve had a complete new front end on this car so none of the original bolt/screw holes were there anymore. First job was to give both the headlamp bowls a good coat of clear Dynax UB wax to prevent corrosion, then to drill a tiny hole for the lights earth connectors in the back of the headlamp bowls. Then clean a little patch back to bare metal and give it a dab of contact grease.
With the earths screwed on it’s a case of lining up the headlight and indicator units, marking the body underneath and drilling the fixing holes.
The lights themselves - the passenger side headlight was a NOS item I fitted a few years before the car came off the road so that being in superb condition still went straight back on. The drivers side one though was an original part and was by now absolutely trashed! The silvering inside was poor, the body of the light was rusty and filthy and the glass lense had fallen off! I got a NOS replacement off eBay to replace this. The indicators are also both NOS too as the originals were very faded and cracking.
80184E9A-EED6-44E2-9483-FA2095E5FC90.jpeg
7076341F-E767-4FD6-85A1-0ABF0BE805C1.jpeg
7C7A5119-0F46-4D85-918A-B64F8A60BB2C.jpeg
CA65B4F3-D67B-4281-BA4A-C7C7565EDDE8.jpeg
1EE07A77-96CC-4F29-A759-846508AA1100.jpeg
Looks great in my opinion! Starting to look much more like a car again!
One thing I did notice doing this was how difficult it is to get the indicators to fit well against the front wings. The shape of each don’t match that well and you can’t push the indicator outwards much to fill the gap as you create a big gap between the headlight and/or grill.
Seemingly, this is a common issue with these cars and the quality of the fit seems to vary car to car! 70’s build quality I suppose! Either way, there’s pretty much nothing I can do about it so it is what it is.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

Coming along very very nicely there Dan. I can imagine that the headlight/indicators would need a bit of jiggling. Definitely a prudent move with the wax treatment in the recesses.
Nige Image
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

A bit more inside the car now.

Interior lights refitted.
These were a bit of a pig! I had to cut slits in the headlining and open out a hole for the lights to fit which I wasn’t particularly keen to do as it only takes a slip or mistake to make a right mess of the new headlining. The lights are also non genuine replacement items and as such don’t fit fit as well as the original ones. They’re very slightly bigger so getting them to fit into the metal brackets inside the roof wasn’t exactly easy! Managed in the end though.
B2BF2E59-F2C3-4EA2-A80A-6278544F6576.jpeg
C2E83BA6-A935-4D5E-9EE1-AE71871880E6.jpeg
F5E8A399-6133-4EAE-9D25-B2F38E3F838D.jpeg
Then I refitted the radio aerial. This needed a hole drilling through the A post panel behind the glovebox. While I was at it I took the opportunity to remove the front inner wing splash shields and give the entire inner wings/arches a going over with Dynax clear UB wax. Paying particular attention to the bulkhead/sill end areas and the rear of the headlight bowls and front valance.
With that done the aerial wire was poked through the new hole and aerial reinstalled on the wing then the splash shield reinstalled.
With that done and connected up the glovebox and ash tray went back in. Then I refitted the lower dash properly and fitted the steering column trims and the cars indicator stalk.
This car being an early one and very low spec means it has only one stalk. Indicators, full beam and horn from the same stalk. Everything else is dash switch controlled.
F998B55B-DA8E-4A24-B089-4459FA885A17.jpeg
9714446B-E156-44B6-B337-499A6C1DA3AC.jpeg
DA218ECB-CAC2-4BE6-AEA0-48275619CA69.jpeg
And yes I will be getting that steering wheel repaired at some stage!

Then I dug out my new carpet set and flung that into the car loosely just to see what it looked like and to let it sit flat for a while to get rid of the creases from where it’d been folded up into a bag.
0F09C0A8-DB18-4179-AEC2-7ED557D090C5.jpeg
38C7A039-7EEE-4A24-8F24-14DA64FA402B.jpeg
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Brooksy wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:18 am Coming along very very nicely there Dan. I can imagine that the headlight/indicators would need a bit of jiggling. Definitely a prudent move with the wax treatment in the recesses.
Cheers!

Yeah the waxing is something I’ve been really on the ball with tbh! I’ve used it everywhere I can get away with and everything has been getting the treatment as I go so access has been as good as it can be. I’ve even been making every effort to direct the spray down panel seems, joints etc etc rather than just giving it a quick over spray.
It’s well worth doing I think given how rust seems to effect these cars!
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

To bring things up to date then,

All the bulkhead sound proofing mats have been reinstalled properly and tightly with the little metal tangs and then the underfelt for the carpet has been put in.
The new green underfelt was pre cut in the carpet set but does need a bit of adjustment as you go. I’ve most likely gone overboard with this and it is much more comprehensive than how Ford did the job! It should however make the car much more civilised with so much additional sound and heat proofing.
From new this stuff was just loosely thrown in but this new green material doesn’t sit and retain shape the same so gluing it down is a must. Starting with the front transmission tunnel piece, then working outwards covering the front floors then the rear transmission tunnel followed by rear floors. It went down incredibly well I think. You just need to glue it and smooth it down to follow the floors shape and push out any air pockets and raised bits.

So it was goodbye to the blue paint and silver pads of the floor and hello green fluff!
EAC2CE1C-DEAD-49A6-8731-36249C720DBA.jpeg
37C97D14-7100-4166-8BF1-B7CD84607C40.jpeg
4250D6F9-6373-4060-B016-8709B855FC41.jpeg
Various other little jobs have been done too like filling up gearbox oil, painting nut and bolt heads under the car etc etc... all in the details!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Coming along a treat! Looks great :cool:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

Testament to your perseverance. A great resto job coming along very well. :cheers:
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

Greetings everyone. Hope your all well given the current circumstances!
I’ve been quiet over winter with this project. Unfortunately this winters 6 months of almost unbroken rain meant getting much done on the car just wasn’t happening but now the grim misery of winter is over its time to get my backside in gear and get this done!

So, to ease myself into things I’m going to start with finishing the front and rear ends with the bumpers.
Mk2’s use chrome bumpers, which are mostly either rusty or bent or both nowadays. Mine were no exception and had ok chrome but had taken some ‘parking by touch’ style damage. I’ve also got a pair of bumpers from a Ghia I found in a scrap yard years ago which are very straight but suffer a bit from dull chrome with a few rusty bits. Plus, the rubber strips are all coming off as their fixings have rusted away. My plan was to get the best two bumpers rechromed but luckily a really nice pair of bumpers came up on eBay, I bid and became the new owner!
First task was to give them a good scrub up, then wax the backs to stop future rust issues then polish the chrome up. There are few small marks still but for such old chrome it’s really really good, certainly good enough for me anyway.
At the same time I stripped all the mounting brackets etc and left them soaking in rust remover overnight. Once they were as rust free as possible they were primed and painted.
1DBFFCC2-D608-48BD-BB08-A5A8478A9E03.jpeg
EA249EB6-7D94-4C51-9317-191C9CF1B7AC.jpeg
DA74C695-72B9-47E4-8FB6-9F7F1F368CC2.jpeg
02B28F43-EABA-489F-8D0A-EC4E7E83E78A.jpeg
32462797-8B81-4094-A350-096CDA272840.jpeg
7DC89761-E0DE-4AD8-8A19-0D782E084CC4.jpeg
3CCA85FB-42F8-464F-A63E-7BA5B320A8A0.jpeg
74638693-73B2-4187-95AA-85D81502EE39.jpeg
0C202D4E-FCD0-41C6-91A6-C8EC9935BF40.jpeg
97C28E17-7599-4AE6-BF68-3766C3FD32E6.jpeg
Everything came up really well. It was lucky I’ve got spare bumpers in the end as I needed to rob good bolts and fixings from them. The new bumpers from eBay were intended for fitting to a mk3 by the seller, and were missing a few bits as a result.