My wheels

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

My wheels

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I think you all know but after using a new product on the wheels it stripped the paint and made them look pants . Also thanks to all I got the new Center cap badges as well .
But I have dropped the car of today and the wheels are being made good again .
I will keep you all posted how they come out ...

I did asked the girls in the office if the radio could be put on classic FM plus if they could say good night to her every day .

Jason

Plenty of colours to choose from so I have gone with pink :lol: thought it would match my eyes also some member won a award at Dunton with a pink t shirt but peach did not work at Brooklands .

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: My wheels

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 pm So I think you all know but after using a new product on the wheels it stripped the paint and made them look pants .
I didn't know that :shock:

What product did you use? Did you complain about it?

Hope they come back to your liking :cheers:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 pm so I have gone with pink
Bad planning Jason. A bit of forethought and you could have done the fog lights the same colour :)
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

So yes what did I use I read in a car magazine about this purple iron remover and the review was good bringing old wheels back to there brightness but OMG it removed the paint and ripped the clear coat off . I was taking with Danny’s dad at The Ace and we could remove the paint on the wheels with our fingers . Really strange . I am guess they may have just been painted as After talking with Andrew the only way forward is getting done professional.
Peter I was hoping mick would do them for me :lol: who I think is still looking for a Capri ...

Here’s the stuff I used but don’t buy any .... :lol:

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:17 pm I was hoping mick would do them for me :lol: who I think is still looking for a Capri ...
Yes he is. The one that he knows about is missing a few bits and he kept reeling off items that he might need.
Have you got a bumper .... yes
Have you got a grill ....yes
Windscreen .... yes
Mirrors .... yes
He rolled his eyes when he said he would probably ditch the 1.6 in the car he is after and put a 2.0 in it and I said I had a spare one of those as well :lol:

Might not come off of course.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s so funny I have this image in my head that your garden has two big hangers right at the back one full of aircraft memorabilia And the other capris :lol:

So mick has seen the light to join the pinto :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:17 pm So yes what did I use I read in a car magazine about this purple iron remover and the review was good bringing old wheels back to there brightness but OMG it removed the paint and ripped the clear coat off . I was taking with Danny’s dad at The Ace and we could remove the paint on the wheels with our fingers . Really strange . I am guess they may have just been painted as After talking with Andrew the only way forward is getting done professional.
Peter I was hoping mick would do them for me :lol: who I think is still looking for a Capri ...

Here’s the stuff I used but don’t buy any .... :lol:

I have seen this sort of thing in action. My son who was a valeter used a different make on my Sierra and our Focus alloys, the crap it removes is incredible, it turns red and smells of sulphur.

Good job you didn't use it on your paintwork :doh:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I think a lot of these wheel cleaners are basically a mild acid. They are good at removing built-up brake dust but use them at your peril.
As said, it's best to get your wheels stripped and powdercoated, and then make sure you protect them with a few coats of the Poorboys (inside and outside faces) before you put the wheels back on.
Another tip I have picked up is to inspect the wheels regularly. If you spot any chips in the lacquer, treat them immediately to ensure that the damage doesn't spread.

It's a shame you didn't have your pink wheels at Brooklands, they would have matched that dress you wore.... :D
I look forward to reading an update of this thread with some photos.

Andrew.
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

Jasonmarie wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Plenty of colours to choose from so I have gone with pink :lol: thought it would match my eyes also some member won a award at Dunton with a pink t shirt but peach did not work at Brooklands .

Easy Jason, that little wheel shop in Gillingham did my wheel, your starting to copy me :xd:

Next you will be asking where I get the shirts. Clearly peach wasn’t bright enough for Brooklands!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

:lol: I did try wearing the pink number at Brooklands but andrew 2.8i could not do me up at the back as his lens cap fell of on to the floor . But wait till nextyear it will be pink t shirt every show :lol:
Got to keep up with the neighbours andrew :beer: will post up how it goes
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Post by Arnoldhar »

I probably needed to add a bit of Lycra to take the prize
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Arnoldhar wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:39 pm I probably needed to add a bit of Lycra to take the prize
I am sure I saw you was wearing Lycra M&S pants in trap 3 :lol: just spoke to the parish council and they said it’s fine to have two in the village :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

It was good that you could take the whole car in rather than removing the wheels and having to put it on axle stands etc.

How long do they take to refurb the alloys?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny they said 3-4 days but phoned today to say my falken tyres are still in good condition but I am swapping rubber I might keep the tyres as I think John and a few of you still have falken tyres so they might come in handy for somebody .

Andy with my back swapping wheels over has had its day :lol:

Will post up as soon as I get my little girl back , almost like your leg missing :lol:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:24 pm Funny they said 3-4 days but phoned today to say my falken tyres are still in good condition but I am swapping rubber I might keep the tyres as I think John and a few of you still have falken tyres so they might come in handy for somebody .

Andy with my back swapping wheels over has had its day :lol:

Will post up as soon as I get my little girl back , almost like your leg missing :lol:
If your tyres are over 5 years old then worth changing them regardless of tread depth etc.

The ones that came off my Pepperpots the other week were dated 1995 :o

What brand are your new tyres?

:agree: swapping my wheels the other day made me ache in a few strange places :? Manual labour is overrated :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

OMG 1995 think you had your money out of them :lol: yes I always change tyres early at 3mm on our car But they quoted me Nankang Tyres at £59 a corner I asked one of the Kent Capri club what he had and they were Nankang I wanted to go for the Dunlop but £140 a corner I thought perhaps not . I don’t drive fast like a black Capri I followed the other week threw the Dartford tunnel :lol: these youngsters must think they are in a fighter jet or something :lol: mention know names but Mr Nigel was behind me doing the right speed .
Joking about I think your Capri in the pictures looks better with the pepperpots like Andrews just looks stunning .
Let’s hope I get to see it in the flesh nextyear :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:19 pm OMG 1995 think you had your money out of them :lol: yes I always change tyres early at 3mm on our car But they quoted me Nankang Tyres at £59 a corner I asked one of the Kent Capri club what he had and they were Nankang I wanted to go for the Dunlop but £140 a corner I thought perhaps not . I don’t drive fast like a black Capri I followed the other week threw the Dartford tunnel :lol: these youngsters must think they are in a fighter jet or something :lol: mention know names but Mr Nigel was behind me doing the right speed .
Joking about I think your Capri in the pictures looks better with the pepperpots like Andrews just looks stunning .
Let’s hope I get to see it in the flesh nextyear :beer:
I have found Nankang fine in the past and got mine from Ebay and had them fitted locally for a total of £226.

Yes I have always liked Pepperpots and they will be stayiing on the car now, or for the life of the tyres at least :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Hoping i get the phone call today to say she’s ready , not much choice of tyre to get really if she’s back today I might give her a blast to bed the wheels in fir winter :lol:

I will keep you posted :beer:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am Hoping i get the phone call today to say she’s ready , not much choice of tyre to get really if she’s back today I might give her a blast to bed the wheels in fir winter :lol:

That's part of the reason I went for 15's more tyre choice and cheaper.

:goodluck:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 10:26 am
Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 8:55 am Hoping i get the phone call today to say she’s ready , not much choice of tyre to get really if she’s back today I might give her a blast to bed the wheels in fir winter :lol:

That's part of the reason I went for 15's more tyre choice and cheaper.

:goodluck:
I might have to do that soon, Falkens are OK and but I've found the Nankangs Econex better personally - was looking at these the other day to save me doing all the tyre writing, but cost a fortune!! :shock:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/382976446125?c ... m8EALw_wcB
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.