Master cylinder

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Capriscott
Car(s): Ford Capri Laser 2.0 9 (almost complete restoration)

Master cylinder

Post by Capriscott »

Just need the internals of a 22.2mm bore master cylinder. If not I am willing to buy a 2nd hand complete unit.
Rumble
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Master cylinder

Post by Peter-S »

Capriscott wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:33 pm Just need the internals of a 22.2mm bore master cylinder. If not I am willing to buy a 2nd hand complete unit.
Changing to a 2.8 cylinder is not necessarily an upgrade You might find you end up with a harder pedal but no improvement in braking. If you have an issue with the 2.8 cylinder you might be better sourcing a replacement standard cylinder.
This point aside, what bits are damaged?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Thanks for the reply. I assumed that a bigger bore meant a stronger braking capacity. It's the second set of seals and spring at the bottom of the cylinder. Some of the metal has corroded away, the seals are fine.
Rumble
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

My understanding is if you change the master cylinder for a 2.8 one you would need to change the servo also.

Probably best to just see if Martin / Tickover / CCI etc have a good 2nd hand master cylinder that will be a straight swap. If you want a slight upgrade in braking performance for not much cost its always worth swapping the flexible hoses for braided ones which prevents the ballooning that standard rubber hoses suffer over time.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Not_Anumber wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:38 pm My understanding is if you change the master cylinder for a 2.8 one you would need to change the servo also.
Indeed you do, the bolt patterns for the cylinders is completely different
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Just had to check if had a 2.8 servo and I do. There's plenty on eBay but some cost a fortune which I'm sure they don't need to be. Just wondering if someone had any spare parts. Weber's need setting up end of next week so hopefully someone might have the bits I need in time.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.
Rumble
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Capriscott wrote: Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:50 pm Just had to check if had a 2.8 servo and I do. There's plenty on eBay but some cost a fortune which I'm sure they don't need to be. Just wondering if someone had any spare parts. Weber's need setting up end of next week so hopefully someone might have the bits I need in time.

Thanks everyone for your help so far.
Post a pic of the damaged bits and I might be able to help. Be quick though as I am off travelling Wednesday.

You sure the cylinder bore is OK if it has had corroded bits in it?
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

wpc6e6e897_06.png
Hopefully the picture works okay. But it's the bottom part of this picture. This should be at the bottom of the cylinder
Rumble
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Capriscott wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:56 am wpc6e6e897_06.png

Hopefully the picture works okay. But it's the bottom part of this picture. This should be at the bottom of the cylinder
Can you pm me an address
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

If the pistons etc are corroded it`s 99.99% certain that the bore will be pitted, the bore usually goes long before there`s any damage to pistons in my experience. I really wouldn`t chance it. Best solution would be a known good unit from Martin, CCI etc, or if you DID find pistons, you can get the cylinder bored and lined with brass, but will cost.
Capriscott

Post by Capriscott »

Thank you very much to Peter Smith who donated me a replacement. It's all up and running. So nice to have a place to go to for help and experience. Thanks everyone involved
Rumble