why?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: why?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:30 pm Imageupload images
Is that Friar Tuck on the scooter? :)

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 pm I remember a situation many years ago when, whilst driving along with my Mother in the passenger seat,
God, I thought it was a new thing!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

There IS actually a monastery near the Trafford Centre so could be :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:25 pm
stevemarl wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:53 pm round here every other bike has his hands either dangling down
Not really on the original topic, but that's never stopped me before….
I remember a situation many years ago when, whilst driving along with my Mother in the passenger seat, we encountered a youth cycling in the said manner. As I drove alongside, my Mother shouted "Put your hands on those handlebars" to the cyclist in an authoritative voice, and gave him one of those disapproving scowls that only Mothers can perfect. He promptly complied with her command!
My belief is, it's not the Police that should be dictating law and order to disobedient youths, it's the Mothers....

Andrew.
Good on your mum Andrew ,but we have been brought up to respect our mums and the people around us . My wife always tells the kids manners are free so use them . What is from her NaN and very true .
It’s things like this they should teach children .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Completely off-topic but equally depressing, just heard the first SCS advert guaranteeing delivery by Christmas. :roll:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I guess I'm of similar age group to most on here, and I love this forum I get a lot from it and it is fun and enjoyable, but reading the grown ups complaining and moaning about this and that and how bad this or that is really brings me down.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 pm Completely off-topic but equally depressing, just heard the first SCS advert guaranteeing delivery by Christmas. :roll:
Just saw the SCS ad, followed by one from Morrisons the good old 2 for £7 for Celebrations, Roses and Quality Street etc. Not saying Xmas but we know what they are upto :)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

"You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here" Where else can we go?
I do think, however much they need the money, the first week in September is still a little early to start flogging Christmas. Sorry.
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:23 am "You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here" Where else can we go?
I do think, however much they need the money, the first week in September is still a little early to start flogging Christmas. Sorry.
September is way too early Steve, but as always it's about the money.
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:53 pm But if a bike misjudges a gap when he`s squeezing between 2 cars and gouges your paintwork, there is no comeback, no way of identifying them, and no insurance. And I can assure you they NEVER stop, Mirrors, paintwork I`ve seen it many times . This is what annoys people. I don`t know what it`s like where you live but here they have absolutely NO respect for the highway code, traffic lights, even riding on the left. (I`ve sat at a roundabout looking to right waiting for a gap; gap appears; just at the last minute I spot the bike coming from my left on the wrong side and anti-clockwise) Can`t you see why this gets people`s backs up? I used to ride a bike, my dad never had a car, biked everywhere but we did it actually within the law (My dad even made us do the cycling proficiency test) , - but the feral cyclists round here are just like a sub-species. Do you ride down a main road, no hands, rolling a spliff or texting? No I bet you don`t - but round here every other bike has his hands either dangling down or even (really cool) in their pockets! That`s what it`s like here and a lot of other cities. The baby under the arm was the limit.

In the interests of balance, I stopped cycling because, coming back at night I`d hear cars coming up behind me and kept thinking `they could be paralytic, take my leg off and leave me dying in the gutter`. Some were VERY close too, so that was that. I do understand cyclist`s worries too. ;)
I can't disagree with most of that, or defend those involved. But, in the interests of equality. 99% of drivers break the speed limit. Many jump red lights. Too many use mobile phones/drink coffee/eat lunch whilst driving. A number no doubt bump/scratch etc others cars and don't stop.
Just because they are a minority group, most think cyclists are fair game. All of this gets MY back up, as a driver AND as a cyclist. Perhaps those in glass houses should keep their stones in their pockets...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:11 am I guess I'm of similar age group to most on here, and I love this forum I get a lot from it and it is fun and enjoyable, but reading the grown ups complaining and moaning about this and that and how bad this or that is really brings me down.
It's human nature Paul. Most of us can't help it.
I'm out for a couple of beers tonight with friends. We'll doubtless talk some good stuff - Dunton for me last week, my mate's recent holiday in Cornwall two of us going away shortly, a 25th wedding anniversary party coming up. Of course I might miss the party as BA are on strike when I come home so then we will get in to the moans. It can't be helped. It is a topic of conversation if something doesn't happen as it should where as if everything runs normally its largely not worth a mention. And if we are not out for a beer we can come on here and compare notes. Keeps us sane. Possibly (excluding Jason of course) :D
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
andyd

Post by andyd »

Cosmicbike wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:58 am
stevemarl wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:53 pm But if a bike misjudges a gap when he`s squeezing between 2 cars and gouges your paintwork, there is no comeback, no way of identifying them, and no insurance. And I can assure you they NEVER stop, Mirrors, paintwork I`ve seen it many times . This is what annoys people. I don`t know what it`s like where you live but here they have absolutely NO respect for the highway code, traffic lights, even riding on the left. (I`ve sat at a roundabout looking to right waiting for a gap; gap appears; just at the last minute I spot the bike coming from my left on the wrong side and anti-clockwise) Can`t you see why this gets people`s backs up? I used to ride a bike, my dad never had a car, biked everywhere but we did it actually within the law (My dad even made us do the cycling proficiency test) , - but the feral cyclists round here are just like a sub-species. Do you ride down a main road, no hands, rolling a spliff or texting? No I bet you don`t - but round here every other bike has his hands either dangling down or even (really cool) in their pockets! That`s what it`s like here and a lot of other cities. The baby under the arm was the limit.

In the interests of balance, I stopped cycling because, coming back at night I`d hear cars coming up behind me and kept thinking `they could be paralytic, take my leg off and leave me dying in the gutter`. Some were VERY close too, so that was that. I do understand cyclist`s worries too. ;)
I can't disagree with most of that, or defend those involved. But, in the interests of equality. 99% of drivers break the speed limit. Many jump red lights. Too many use mobile phones/drink coffee/eat lunch whilst driving. A number no doubt bump/scratch etc others cars and don't stop.
Just because they are a minority group, most think cyclists are fair game. All of this gets MY back up, as a driver AND as a cyclist. Perhaps those in glass houses should keep their stones in their pockets...
:agree:
Many drivers are terrible, often the car is their office/kitchen and driving is the last thing on their minds!
Too many think the laws don't apply to them, so why indicate or say thankyou for giving way to them. Ignorance and lack of basic manners :doh:

There are also good and bad motorcyclists, cyclists and pedestrians.

We all need to get along by obeying the laws giving others a little respect and being aware of what's going on around us.

:cheers:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Peter-S wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:16 am
pbar wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:11 am I guess I'm of similar age group to most on here, and I love this forum I get a lot from it and it is fun and enjoyable, but reading the grown ups complaining and moaning about this and that and how bad this or that is really brings me down.
It's human nature Paul. Most of us can't help it.
I'm out for a couple of beers tonight with friends. We'll doubtless talk some good stuff - Dunton for me last week, my mate's recent holiday in Cornwall two of us going away shortly, a 25th wedding anniversary party coming up. Of course I might miss the party as BA are on strike when I come home so then we will get in to the moans. It can't be helped. It is a topic of conversation if something doesn't happen as it should where as if everything runs normally its largely not worth a mention. And if we are not out for a beer we can come on here and compare notes. Keeps us sane. Possibly (excluding Jason of course) :D
We are becoming very pessimistic, people are fed up with the state of the government, general lack of respect, people doing as they want when they want, lack of authority and the justice system is a joke.

The older we get the more we take notice of certain things and get annoyed by them, although there probably isn't a damn thing we can do about most of it :?

Older and wiser maybe....?

Thankfully we still have some have 70s/80s T/V, music and Capris to keep us sane :cheers: Oh, pbars 'Who Remembers' thread too :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:23 pm Completely off-topic but equally depressing, just heard the first SCS advert guaranteeing delivery by Christmas. :roll:
I take it you won't be adding these to your shopping basket just yet? :)
https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/p ... &gclsrc=ds

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Ooh you're making me hungry Andrew, I love mince pies.