Front crossmember

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Front crossmember

Post by Mr B »

Evening all,

Just about to paint my front crossmember, obviously needs to be tough paint to with stand the battering it will receive, any suggestions guy's?

Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Front crossmember

Post by Mc Tool »

If you want it to stay lookin good I'd go for powder baking , or Hammerite , or that stone chip stuff if you can handle the texture (it ain't smooth )
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Thanks MC, Won't have the time to get it powder coated, but Hammerite looks like a good option, I was thinking of black stone chip protector mainly for how quick it covers, I've wire brushed the crossmember - took ages to get all the shit off it :deadhorse:
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

When I painted mine I dropped it out of the car, cleaned it all up and hammerited the shit out if it.
Although I'd suggest giving it a good few coats as mine has worn away slightly from jacking it up off of it
Ratty as fuck
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I put a few coats of truck bed liner paint on my rear axle and brake drums before fitting . Its not a smooth finish but its definitely very tough and isnt prone to chipping..
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi guy's,

Thanks for all the replies, in the end I went with MC's Hammerite suggestion, I had to be quick as the GXL is currently at Tickovers having a power steering conversion done, it's my other halfs car and she has never been able to drive her since buying her in 2009 simply because the steering is too heavy.

Wayne
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thats interesting, what type of power steering conversion do Tickover use and whats the approx cost if you dont mind me asking ?
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Not_Anumber wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:10 pm Thats interesting, what type of power steering conversion do Tickover use and whats the approx cost if you dont mind me asking ?
Hi mate,

The conversion is reasonably easy to do, I supplied Ticks with all the necessary part's, the parts came from a Capri MK 2 3 litre Ghia, the parts I supplied were the power steering rack, crossmember, engine mounts, associated piping, pump, pulleys and ATF reservoir, the cost is a bit hard to estimate as the car was having exhaust work done as well but I reckon a couple of hours labour to do the job as long as you are supplying the parts for the conversion which works out to around £140 as long as all the old part's come off the car without a major struggle, power steering makes a spectacular difference to the car - for example a 3 point would be nigh on impossible for my partner to do hence why she has been to frightened to drive the car for 10 year's.

Hope this helps

Wayne
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its great that you are using V6 parts for this and doing it the traditional way.
I got talking to someone at the Dunton show the other day who had installed electric power steering which mounts on the column and top of the pedal box but uses the original non PAS rack. It was a neat job but struck me as quite expensive.

Ive been looking into it as i was looking into ways of adding power steering on my non Capri project but suspect that only electric steering will do for that as there weren't any variants of that car ever made with power steering.