Breakdown Cover

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by pbar »

One thing many people may not realise is that your bank may offer breakdown cover. Mine does, for £12 a month, and it's personal cover so doesn't matter what car you are in. Bizarrely, I think it includes other things too such as losing your mobile phone.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:11 am One thing many people may not realise is that your bank may offer breakdown cover. Mine does, for £12 a month, and it's personal cover so doesn't matter what car you are in. Bizarrely, I think it includes other things too such as losing your mobile phone.
If you have a premium account or razz like that I think it's quite common - had a mate break down once and luckily someone in the car had it so used it, pretty handy and for £144 quid a year is cheaper than most traditional breakdown cover!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

pbar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:28 am
tejb1 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:02 am I had a moment a while ago when I realised that I hadn't got all the 'modifications' listed. Although for me this is simply a K&N filter and a Sportex exhaust (and a 34ICH carb instead of a VV), I did a bit of reading up and discovered that even if wholly unrelated to the accident, it's possible to have the insurers refuse to pay out if you haven't declared such things. It put my premium up by £15 but at least I'm fully insured.
That's very interesting, I bet many on here have done modifications much greater that those and haven't thought they where important enough to warrant declaring them.

It doesn't surprise me that insurance companies do all they can to wiggle out of paying when you need them to. Insurance is supposed to give you total peace of mind, it's anything but that.The system needs a complete overhaul.
Exactly. I didn't think I'd have to declare them as modifications on the grounds that they are not giving a huge increase in performance and, for example, replacing a VV with a 34ICH is pretty much an equivalent carb. It's not like it has a new engine or something in it. However, having done a bit of research online and speaking to them on the phone, they said anything that wasn't original fit needed to be declared.

Unfortunately, as you say, insurers are notorious for avoiding paying out. If someone, say, put an upgraded interior in, didn't declare it, then went into a ditch, they'd struggle to show that the interior caused them to have the accident, but would cause difficulty in getting the payout no doubt.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 am Blimey, is that renewal just for breakdown cover or actual car insurance ??
The breakdown cover is more than I'm paying for insurance on both cars!
That renewal price is for personal cover, so I'm covered whatever I'm driving or am a passenger in. That's with home start, relay and stay mobile.

Andrew.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:48 pm
Lord Flasheart wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:58 am Blimey, is that renewal just for breakdown cover or actual car insurance ??
The breakdown cover is more than I'm paying for insurance on both cars!
That renewal price is for personal cover, so I'm covered whatever I'm driving or am a passenger in. That's with home start, relay and stay mobile.

Andrew.
Ouch :banghead: :banghead:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Just had my renewal for the Capri from Start Rescue £47.49!

Not had to use them yet so not sure what the service is like as/when required.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm Just had my renewal for the Capri from Start Rescue £47.49!

Hmm, a big difference between the two quotes. What cover is included for £47.49?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:19 pm
andyd wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2019 12:47 pm Just had my renewal for the Capri from Start Rescue £47.49!

Hmm, a big difference between the two quotes. What cover is included for £47.49?

Andrew.
Hi Andrew,
It's the 3 star option https://www.startrescue.co.uk/breakdown ... gLto_D_BwE
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Well, I finally got around to doing the dance with the nice man from the AA.
He did say that as I've only been with them for 3 consecutive years, I wouldn't be entitled to the same sort of loyalty discount that long-term members would get. However, a 16.66% discount was definitely worth five minutes of my time. :)

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm Well, I finally got around to doing the dance with the nice man from the AA.
He did say that as I've only been with them for 3 consecutive years, I wouldn't be entitled to the same sort of loyalty discount that long-term members would get. However, a 16.66% discount was definitely worth five minutes of my time. :)

Andrew.
It's better to have any amount of money in your pocket than theirs Andrew :)

Paid for mine last week along with car insurance so all sorted for another year :cheers:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Every penny counts . Always pays to ring
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:08 pm Every penny counts . Always pays to ring
:agree: I've saved enough money to have my wheels powdercoated. Mrs Jasonmarie told me that she knows somewhere that can do it for £10 a wheel.... :lol:
andyd wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:21 pm Paid for mine last week along with car insurance so all sorted for another year :cheers:
My Insurance renewal is due next month. That's something to look forward to!

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

:lol: she had a new cooker this year :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:11 pm Well, I finally got around to doing the dance with the nice man from the AA.

Andrew.
So, he was a nice man, but not a very very nice man!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

tejb1 wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 11:07 am So, he was a nice man, but not a very very nice man!
:lol:
You're showing your age there Tom!

Andrew.