1.6 fuel tank size?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Synn
Car(s): Ford Capri LS MK3

1.6 fuel tank size?

Post by Synn »

I've just noticed something really strange that i've never noticed before, this could be linked to my dodgy temp gauge.

But after recently throwing £30 worth of fuel in I've randomly noticed I have almost a full tank, luckily I took note of how many litres I put in (was about 25) it jumped out at me cause I was almost totally empty, does anyone know what the actual tank size should be? for some reason in my head i have about 56/57L.

Normally If i fill up around 30ish I get roughly half a tank (obviously depending on if the fuel gods are being nice with their prices) so for it to almost jump to a full tank seemed really weird to me
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Re: 1.6 fuel tank size?

Post by tejb1 »

12.5 gallons or 57 litres
Synn

Post by Synn »

awesome thank you thats what i thought, definitely seems weird to have jumped as much as it did then
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

I had that recently in my 2.8 and it's had new tank and new sender unit.

Gauge showed just over 1/4 tank, put £30 (24 litres) in and it went above the full mark :? Did 135 miles (inc some urban driving) and it was back to just over 1/4 tank.

From there I put in 26 litres for our last Haynes meet, and it went up to 3/4. Did 115 miles and got back with it reading just under 1/2, which I would say is right.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:05 am Gauge showed just over 1/4 tank, put £30 (24 litres) in and it went above the full mark :? Did 135 miles (inc some urban driving) and it was back to just over 1/4 tank.
From there I put in 26 litres for our last Haynes meet, and it went up to 3/4. Did 115 miles and got back with it reading just under 1/2, which I would say is right.
That`s like a question from the old `11 plus`!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:51 am
andyd wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:05 am Gauge showed just over 1/4 tank, put £30 (24 litres) in and it went above the full mark :? Did 135 miles (inc some urban driving) and it was back to just over 1/4 tank.
That`s like a question from the old `11 plus`!
:wave:
I don't know the answer either :lol:
Synn

Post by Synn »

andyd wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:05 am I had that recently in my 2.8 and it's had new tank and new sender unit.

Gauge showed just over 1/4 tank, put £30 (24 litres) in and it went above the full mark :? Did 135 miles (inc some urban driving) and it was back to just over 1/4 tank.

It's really weird I've almost always got about 1/2 a tank after filling up so this random shoot up has been strange. I know I have an issue with my temperature gauge so i'm keeping an eye on it so i know exactly how far i've gone/how much fuel i've used. I usually top it up after around 100 miles just to be safe.. I'll definitely keep an eye on it hopefully what ever the issue is will sort itself when i finally get around to sorting/figuring out the temp gauge
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Both have mine have always been the same - brim the tank and it will stay saying full for about 150-200 miles at least when it drops to halfway, then after another 20-50 odd drops down to around 1/4

I've just accepted the gauge is shit :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Might be worth disconnecting the wire from the temp sender (as it`s easy) and check the voltage on the wire, as this will be the Voltage Regulator`s output. Should be 4.95 - 5.05; if out of that range it could explaiin why your having a problem with gauges. (Both use same regulator)
(Wire must be disconnected otherwise V will be divided twixt sender & gauge)

If that`s OK, the fuel sender will be at fault, very unlikely to be the gauge itself as it`s too simple, it will be wear/internal shorts in the actual fuel sender. I believe someone had hese re-manufactured?
Synn

Post by Synn »

D366Y wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:50 am Both have mine have always been the same - brim the tank and it will stay saying full for about 150-200 miles at least when it drops to halfway, then after another 20-50 odd drops down to around 1/4

I've just accepted the gauge is shit :lol:
Oh i totally accept that it's a shit gauge haha but in the 5years I've had it this is the first time its ever done it, it just seemed really weird to fill up when it was on red and end up with almost a full tank on £30 haha
stevemarl wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:51 am Might be worth disconnecting the wire from the temp sender (as it`s easy) and check the voltage on the wire, as this will be the Voltage Regulator`s output. Should be 4.95 - 5.05; if out of that range it could explaiin why your having a problem with gauges. (Both use same regulator)
(Wire must be disconnected otherwise V will be divided twixt sender & gauge)

If that`s OK, the fuel sender will be at fault, very unlikely to be the gauge itself as it`s too simple, it will be wear/internal shorts in the actual fuel sender. I believe someone had hese re-manufactured?
I will be sure to check that out, I need an excuse to buy a new volt meter