Cassette player

Capri Parts For Sale and Wanted
Caprigirl
Car(s): Radically modified 2.8i TT

Cassette player

Post by Caprigirl »

Hi everyone

Can someone point me in the right direction for a cassette player?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Cassette player

Post by andyd »

The ESRT 32 PS is most common in later Capris.

Try Martin 01507343148 (Caprigear on here) or Colin White 07799693555.

Otherwise try Ebay.

:goodluck:
Caprigirl

Post by Caprigirl »

Thank you very much!
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Be prepared to part with a good few pounds if you can find a decent ERST, they tend to go for good money these days.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

As your car is already modified a great deal you may wish to add a modern stereo? There are various options to achieve this, as a modern stereo is larger than the cavity for the original one, mounting one in the glove box is a common method.

Depends what you want, are you after a direct replacement for one which is not working? If you can give more info then you will get lots of help I'm sure.
Caprigirl

Post by Caprigirl »

Hi. Yes she’s been modified a great deal but I want the retro way of listening to my music?

I’ve found a couple of decent cassettes on eBay which I have asked questions about.

Hopefully something will come up :D
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

There’s a guy selling one on the Sierra page on Facebook at the moment. Dont specifically look for Capri one as the price seems to treble!
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Stish704 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:54 am There’s a guy selling one on the Sierra page on Facebook at the moment. Dont specifically look for Capri one as the price seems to treble!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1640449 ... 13&sfns=mo
pbar

Post by pbar »

Caprigirl wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:36 pm Hi. Yes she’s been modified a great deal but I want the retro way of listening to my music?
Nothing wrong with that :)

A good place to find older car stereos are car shows which have autojumbles and also charity shops of all places, seen quite a few. I bought one for £8 in a charity shop for another vehicle, an old car stereo with cassette player and as it is older it is the older size so slotted straight in. Had to do a minimal amount of wiring and works great.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
If you have an uncut original fascia, a stereo out of another car won't fit unless you cut it. If that's the case, it might be an idea to buy another fascia that's already been cut to avoid having to butcher your original one. Just a thought as uncut fascias seem to be getting very scarce now.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Caprigirl

Post by Caprigirl »

Thanks for your help guys that’s fab 😎
Caprigirl

Post by Caprigirl »

Nothing wrong with that :)

That’s nice to read 🥰
pbar

Post by pbar »

Caprigirl wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 am Nothing wrong with that :)

That’s nice to read 🥰
:D
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Has the dash fascia in your car already been modified ? Probably the vast majority have been

Originally the dash fascia would have had a central rectangular cut out with spindle holes to left and right,to suit the way most stereos were made at the time. If the stereo ever went wrong and had to be mended this would mean removing the lower dash panels and steering column cowling to get to the screws to remove the fascia before the stereo could be taken out for repair. :shock: You can see why this idea died out.

As time moved on many owners went for later replacement stereos. As these no longer had spindles and had a control panel the full width of the unit this meant having to widen the slot in the Capri's fascia into a larger rectangular slot so the new stereo could be fitted into.

To put an older style stereo in to a Capri that has had the dash fascia cut would either need a new dash fascia or a cover plate made up to try to disguise the cut fascia. Original uncut dash fascias do come up from time to time.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

This sort of thing might help.

Measure the size of the cutout in the dash fascia and see if this would cover it: https://www.retromanufacturing.com/prod ... 9357328643

Retrosound make some brilliant reproduction old style stereos but with modern components and functions inc bluetooth, mp3 etc. They are good but fairly expensive.

ive since spotted some very close looking copies of their stuff on Ebay at a fraction of the price. Not sure how they compare for quality though.
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Post by STEVEW »

When I bought our Capri it came with massive MAC speakers mounted in a home-made timber frame instead of the parcel shelf with which it was designed, plus matching door mounted “chrome bezelled” speakers fed by an ultra modern blue-green flashing disco unit hanging out of a large hacksawed-chiselled aperture in the dash.

A standard Ford period blender and radio housing, with all the up-to-date internal bells & whistles, was mounted by making an adaptor plate from aluminium plate and painted satin black.

It’s definitely not “concours” but, even though I say myself, is a huge improvement and after five beers – looks original.