Breakdown Cover

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Breakdown Cover

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I think and hope you don’t think I have gone mad ( you all think that anyway ) that’s the 2.8i should be £20k and our lasers should be around the £12k mark .
What’s your thoughts ?
Hi Jason,
My personal view is that the prices of the cars seem to have stabilised for the time being, and because of that I think you might have difficulty getting the insurance company to agree to those values. That being said, it depends on the car and the insurance company.
I would place the value of a typical (if there is such a thing) 2.8 at £12-16K and a Laser at £7-9K. Obviously exceptional cars would be valued higher.

By the way, I see you're paying for a Flickr Pro subscription now.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes you could be right on the figures it’s hard to get prices right sometime .

Off topic , O yes but I have not paid for anything , but I looked at my name on there and it says PRO after it . I had not used it for years until I started looking at your pictures and was unpressed and since started using again . All how would you pay for Pro ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:All how would you pay for Pro ?
The subscription auto renews, I assume by direct debit or by credid card. Could you have signed up for it years ago and have been paying for it since?
It costs $4.17 (£3.18) a month, so not a big amount but a waste of money if you are not using the benefits that come with the service.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I had a look lastnight and could not work it out it’s loaded on my I pad and that’s the only device . My only thought is it’s to do with Yahoo and BT use Yahoo Plates Forms and perhaps it comes free with BT .

It’s in Marie’s Name as well so when I asked her she did not know what I was talking about .

I am going to use the main computer today to see if that has anything to do with the Pro . I looked on line at any standing orders or direct debits and can’t see anything .

It’s strange ?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:I think and hope you don’t think I have gone mad ( you all think that anyway ) that’s the 2.8i should be £20k and our lasers should be around the £12k mark .
What’s your thoughts ?
Hi Jason,
My personal view is that the prices of the cars seem to have stabilised for the time being, and because of that I think you might have difficulty getting the insurance company to agree to those values. That being said, it depends on the car and the insurance company.
I would place the value of a typical (if there is such a thing) 2.8 at £12-16K and a Laser at £7-9K. Obviously exceptional cars would be valued higher.

By the way, I see you're paying for a Flickr Pro subscription now.

Andrew.
This is an interesting point because I've agreed the value on both of my (distinctly average-at-best) cars at £7k - not sure how the accepted it - even at the time I thought I was over-egging it a bit, but I guess it depends on what the agreed value is actually for and whether it's of any worth? The insurers always say that the agreed value isn't the amount they will pay out if it is written off, and in a different conversation I was told that a car is written off if 69% of the cars value needs to be spent to repair it. Whether that % is accurate or not I'm not sure (the source isn't usually very reliable!) but maybe that just means that if I agreed the value at 10k, and 7k needs to be spent after a crash they will write it off, and then decide to actually only pay me 4k because thats what they say/think the car is worth?
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s interesting Dan as I always led to belive they paid out what you say it’s worth . See the problem is and I hope we never come to even have this conversation is if something did happen what would they pay ?
Also I do wonder what our cars are really worth as the work we all put in to our cars is worth more then Money .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote:This is an interesting point because I've agreed the value on both of my (distinctly average-at-best) cars at £7k - not sure how the accepted it - even at the time I thought I was over-egging it a bit
If the worst happens, I would hope that you would get the full agreed valuation out of your insurance company. After all, they have agreed that is what the car is worth.
I'd say your agreed value is there or thereabouts. How much would you have to spend to buy another comparable car? I would say it would be around £6- £7K, then you'd have to buy the extras, stereo, exhaust etc. on top of that.

Andrew.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Picking up on this again from last year ........Just done the annual dance with the AA, this years renewal price £218 !!!!

Called the renewal number, picked the option to discuss my renewal / thinking of leaving us, £159 a tad more than last years £146 but with 3 cars & a motorbike between me & SWMBO it had to be done.

It pays to call them folks ;)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 am
Exactly. I have never insured a car without speaking to someone on the phone about it, and virtually every time done what you have with your breakdown cover and haggled a lower price.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:33 am
Lord Flasheart wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 am
Exactly. I have never insured a car without speaking to someone on the phone about it, and virtually every time done what you have with your breakdown cover and haggled a lower price.
:agree:
I always call when possible regarding anything. Can't be bothered with Emails as often questions/answers can be misunderstood.

As rewards for loyalty no longer seem to exist, you have to constantly battle for good deals now :(
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I'm preparing for this discussion this year round! Should hopefully be a little cheaper as I will be insuring it for fewer miles plus CCI membership (the cost of which was mostly repaid in discount on some parts I needed so any insurance bonus is a plus!). Footman James offer breakdown cover for £50 per annum with their policies and this is now provided via the RAC. Cheapest equivalent RAC membership directly that I can see is £125.

By the way, just for anyone who hasn't done this - I had a moment a while ago when I realised that I hadn't got all the 'modifications' listed. Although for me this is simply a K&N filter and a Sportex exhaust (and a 34ICH carb instead of a VV), I did a bit of reading up and discovered that even if wholly unrelated to the accident, it's possible to have the insurers refuse to pay out if you haven't declared such things. It put my premium up by £15 but at least I'm fully insured. I have agreed value of £7.5k.
pbar

Post by pbar »

tejb1 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:02 am I had a moment a while ago when I realised that I hadn't got all the 'modifications' listed. Although for me this is simply a K&N filter and a Sportex exhaust (and a 34ICH carb instead of a VV), I did a bit of reading up and discovered that even if wholly unrelated to the accident, it's possible to have the insurers refuse to pay out if you haven't declared such things. It put my premium up by £15 but at least I'm fully insured.
That's very interesting, I bet many on here have done modifications much greater that those and haven't thought they where important enough to warrant declaring them.

It doesn't surprise me that insurance companies do all they can to wiggle out of paying when you need them to. Insurance is supposed to give you total peace of mind, it's anything but that.The system needs a complete overhaul.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

My insurer Brentacre don't charge for minor mods (Exhaust, Wheels etc) but you have to inform them of the changes, and if you have an agreed value you have to keep pics updated so they know what it looks like.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:28 am It doesn't surprise me that insurance companies do all they can to wiggle out of paying when you need them to. Insurance is supposed to give you total peace of mind, it's anything but that.The system needs a complete overhaul.
It's like that in most industries I think - Insurance is clearly the biggest scam going IMO. I paid £500 for both cars this year which I was well chuffed with considering I'm still 24, but I know that as soon as anything happens the first thing they'll try their best to find any and every loophole possible to not pay out, which questions why on earth I should have to pay for it at all.

I get that if you crash in the US without insurance then whoever you crash into will just sue you for the money, but I think if we implemented that over here then surely that would mean you drive a lot more considerately to make sure it doesn't happen and you don't have to fork out a load of cash to cover the costs of repairs? Not advocating it, just curious as to why it's a legal requirement here but not everywhere in the world...
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
pbar

Post by pbar »

D366Y wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:13 pm Not advocating it, just curious as to why it's a legal requirement here but not everywhere in the world...
Interesting post Danny. And I too have often wondered why and at what point in time motoring insurance became compulsory. Other insurances you have a choice with, your home, your holiday, your phone, etc. are all up to you. But with motoring it's illegal to not have it. Does seem bizarre when you think about it.

But then again would we want to drive in a country where we could easily be hit on the road and have our cars wrecked and therefore just lose it. The system of suing would not be so great in the UK, what can you do with someone who isn't working or on benefits for example, if that's the case you've just had it, it's tough.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

There just seems to be an assumption made in the insurance industry that uninsured drivers aren't worth pursuing as they probably haven't got any money. I find that thinking odd as even if they are broke at the time they wont always be so there should be something put in place to collect money from their employment same as child support payments or any other earnings attached court order works.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Something else about insurance that does my nut in is that if you ever are involved in an accident, even if it is deemed not to be your fault (for example someone driving up your backside when sat stationary) you're insurance premium goes up the next year through no fault of your own.

At what point of me becoming a victim did I suddenly become more dangerous to insure?
Did the crash make me want to crash into things more often?
Am I so mentally scared I'm inevitably going to crash again?

I really don't get it
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:39 pm But then again would we want to drive in a country where we could easily be hit on the road and have our cars wrecked and therefore just lose it. The system of suing would not be so great in the UK, what can you do with someone who isn't working or on benefits for example, if that's the case you've just had it, it's tough.
Also, I agree that it's a tough decision on how it should work but I think we have to agree eventually that no one is really getting their money's worth from the current system. I wouldn't mind if it were all dirt cheap, but in seven years of driving I've had to pay close enough ten grand (from the five years of amounts I've remembered its £6900) to drive around and never claim on my insurance once
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 am Picking up on this again from last year ........Just done the annual dance with the AA, this years renewal price £218 !!!!

Called the renewal number, picked the option to discuss my renewal / thinking of leaving us, £159 a tad more than last years £146 but with 3 cars & a motorbike between me & SWMBO it had to be done.

I too have just had my renewal reminder. £259.57. Time to do the dance, I think....

Andrew.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:38 pm
Lord Flasheart wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:05 am Picking up on this again from last year ........Just done the annual dance with the AA, this years renewal price £218 !!!!

I too have just had my renewal reminder. £259.57. Time to do the dance, I think....

Andrew.
Blimey, is that renewal just for breakdown cover or actual car insurance ??

My original £218 was for just for breakdown cover for me & my wife (I only pay £185 to insure Biscuit with Coops), either as drivers or passengers in any vehicle, full relay, complimentary home start & a free key cover etc, that came down to £159 when the music stopped ;)