Whining Noise

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Whining Noise

Post by Cosmicbike »

Debz (as she's now known) was pressed into action this morning for the dump run, the old shower screen won't fit in Festa and I'm not allowed to take the van to the dump.
Anyway, today was her longest run at 15 miles round trip. I noted a 'whining' noise most of the time we were moving but couldn't pinpoint the source over the various rattles.
I don't believe it's engine related, when stationary no noise or through the rev range.
Dropping out of gear and coasting with the clutch either in or out the noise continues until a near stop, which suggests drivetrain? I gave the front hubs a good yank around when I did the brake lines and they felt OK.
I'll pop her rear end up later and check the rears, but it they are iffy then it's half shaft bearings I guess, and from previous experience when they fail the back of the car feels wobbly which I haven't noticed.
I haven't check the gearbox oil level so that may be worth a looksy.

Any other pointers please?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Whining Noise

Post by Paul G »

Propshaft centre bearing.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Paul G wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:34 am Propshaft centre bearing.
Thanks, I'll add it to the list
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Well that's learnt me nowt.
Both rear wheels are solid, tiny bit of backlash across the diff but I suspect that's normal.
Propshaft bearing seems solid, I can't get any play in it side to side. As above, small amount of backlash into the diff.
Gearbox seeps oil out of fill hole with car level (that's great fun doing that isn't it, I need a smaller head :lol: )
Just have to turn the radio up I guess.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Have you got a woman in the boot :lol: :wave:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Yeah , I was going to say are you sure it's the car ( we have jokes about that sort of thing here ) :xd:
Most likely either the diff pinion bearings or the tail shaft / layshaft bearings. A whine usually implies a bit of speed involved and wheels turn slow so their bearings usually rumble.
I bought a 2nd hand t9 supposed to be low miles but it sounded like a concrete mixer, but by then I had sold the 4 speed so I was stuck with it ......done another 40,000 miles and it ain't got no worse :roll: ,so don't panic :D
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Mc Tool wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:05 pm Yeah , I was going to say are you sure it's the car ( we have jokes about that sort of thing here ) :xd:
Most likely either the diff pinion bearings or the tail shaft / layshaft bearings. A whine usually implies a bit of speed involved and wheels turn slow so their bearings usually rumble.
I bought a 2nd hand t9 supposed to be low miles but it sounded like a concrete mixer, but by then I had sold the 4 speed so I was stuck with it ......done another 40,000 miles and it ain't got no worse :roll: ,so don't panic :D
andyd wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:22 pm Have you got a woman in the boot :lol: :wave:
Whilst no passenger seat was fitted, I'm reasonably confident I left SWMBO at home ;)

I'll not worry too much, she only has to do a few hundred miles maybe and get to Brooklands before coming off the road, maybe I'll find something then.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Cosmicbike wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm Propshaft bearing seems solid, I can't get any play in it side to side. As above, small amount of backlash into the diff.
THere won`t necessarily be play as such, bearing races can make horrible scraping, humming noises without any perceptible play. Only way is to take it out and roll it in your hand for roughness. This is by far the easiest option, it`s an easy job*. As Mr McTool says though, it could also be the pinion bearing or the mainshft in the gearbox as they all turn at the same speed.

* EDIT: I`m assuming you mean the prop centre bearing
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:31 pm
Cosmicbike wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:58 pm Propshaft bearing seems solid, I can't get any play in it side to side. As above, small amount of backlash into the diff.
THere won`t necessarily be play as such, bearing races can make horrible scraping, humming noises without any perceptible play. Only way is to take it out and roll it in your hand for roughness. This is by far the easiest option, it`s an easy job*. As Mr McTool says though, it could also be the pinion bearing or the mainshft in the gearbox as they all turn at the same speed.

* EDIT: I`m assuming you mean the prop centre bearing
Noted. I'm used to using a listening stick for bearing rumble, but didn't fancy laying under the car with the wheels spinning..... In keeping with the 'nothing major until after Brooklands' theme, it'll have to wait.