Temp gauge issue

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Synn
Car(s): Ford Capri LS MK3

Temp gauge issue

Post by Synn »

I've noticed recently that my temperature gauge has stopped working. I have had the dash out to work on the dash lights so I have a feeling i may have knocked/damaged it. It seems like the needle doesn't want to move at all.

Just wondering how easy it is to replace/repair the clock? the rest of the gauges work fine (fuel's a little erratic but thats normal right?) which is better to do? Thankfully I do need to take the dash out again soon so i'd like to be able to work out what I need to do before I take it out and get it all done in one swoop
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Temp gauge issue

Post by stevemarl »

The gauge is just fixed to the cluster unit/PCB by two small nuts, which also are also the electrical connections. Martin at Caprigear will have a new gauge. If, as you say, the fuel is working normally that suggests the voltage regulator is OK so I`d just give a final check to the connection to the sender near the distributor, and also check that there is 5v on the lead when disconnected from sender (open circuit in sender). Also short the lead to body, (briefly to avoid damage): if gauge shoots up it`s the sender.
Synn

Post by Synn »

stevemarl wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:42 pm The gauge is just fixed to the cluster unit/PCB by two small nuts, which also are also the electrical connections. Martin at Caprigear will have a new gauge. If, as you say, the fuel is working normally that suggests the voltage regulator is OK so I`d just give a final check to the connection to the sender near the distributor, and also check that there is 5v on the lead when disconnected from sender (open circuit in sender). Also short the lead to body, (briefly to avoid damage): if gauge shoots up it`s the sender.
awesome thanks i'm not sure when i'll be able to get it out but i'll check that... Hopefully it's not anything too complicated... for some reason i thought i had broken something when i removed the light caps to illuminate the gauges properly... fingers crossed its one of the things you mentioned though
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

It`s a one piece printed circuit board and they do, with age, become a bit fragile so it`s quite possible that a bit of the track has been damaged while you were changing bulbs. Hopefully not, but it can be repaired with a bit of copper tape and solder, or even silver conductive paint.
Synn

Post by Synn »

that's good to know, I've plenty of solder etc so if it does come to that I'm hopefully prepared for it
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Synn wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:55 pm I've noticed recently that my temperature gauge has stopped working. I have had the dash out to work on the dash lights so I have a feeling i may have knocked/damaged it. It seems like the needle doesn't want to move at all.

Just wondering how easy it is to replace/repair the clock? the rest of the gauges work fine (fuel's a little erratic but thats normal right?) which is better to do? Thankfully I do need to take the dash out again soon so i'd like to be able to work out what I need to do before I take it out and get it all done in one swoop
Don't discount the possibility that the connection to the sender on the side of the engine has come adrift or needs a clean. It's an easier check than under the dash.

The fuel gauges can be erratic most often because the sender in the tank has worn over the years or the connections to the sender on the side of the tank need a good clean. They pick up a lot of crap off the road.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Synn

Post by Synn »

actually thinking about after you guys have said that.. it might be worth a check tomorrow before I head out (for the engine side) my oil breather had come off before my last MOT and i've only really noticed it since around that time... will check that tomorrow morning before we head out