Laser 1600

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Re: Laser 1600

Post by Cosmicbike »

Well the first coat of paint has gone on the OSF wing, a decent colour match but it will need laquer
OSF Wing Pt 3.jpg
The nearside is nearly ready, need to shuffle the car a bit for painting that side.
List of to do's to make it to Brooklands
Paint NSF wing
Fit all front lights
Fit front + rear bumpers
Bleed brakes, maybe fit braided lines
Check fuel lines OK front to rear, look new ish at the carb
Put oil in diff, pretty sure it's dry
Sense check all the rotary bits

I suspect, looking at the diary, the interior will not be in. I suppose it only needs a drivers seat... Worst case I'll have to come in the van :(
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Post by Brooksy »

Coming on nicely. :goodluck:
Nige Image
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Brooksy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm Coming on nicely. :goodluck:
Not bad for a bodge, all that effort will be ripped off come Winter for a proper repair. I forgot I've got the headlights stripped down too, so something else to get done pre-Brooklands :roll:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Cosmicbike wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:24 pm
Brooksy wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm Coming on nicely. :goodluck:
Not bad for a bodge, all that effort will be ripped off come Winter for a proper repair. I forgot I've got the headlights stripped down too, so something else to get done pre-Brooklands :roll:
Hoping to make Brooklands, along with another local owner. Quite a trek from Devon though. :drive:
Nige Image
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Balls.
Car was pushed out of the garage yesterday as it wouldn't start due to flat battery. Despite being on charge all yesterday it still has a flat battery. New one ordered to collect Tuesday.
On the plus side I've jacked up all 4 corners and cleaned up the brake unions ready for the new braided lines to go on, might get around to that before w*rk or Wednesday.
Got lots of painting done too, sadly none on the car, and all around the house...
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

With the able assistants (the kids), the as yet nameless Laser now has braided brake hoses. I think the brakes need another coat of bleeding, the OSF seems to have air and air and air, rear is OK likewise NSF.
Repaired tailgate got a coat of primer tonight, a once over with wet and dry next week and a colour coat. It ain't perfect, but it'll do for now.
On the down side, it's running dog rough again, more engine games coming up.....
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

ARRRRGH..
Hunting on idle between around 700 - 1800 rpm. Fine at 2000 rpm. Air leak maybe? Had carb off, sealed gasket and back on, no change. Vac advance hose off, no change but forgot to test with it blocked.
Need to check brake vac hose plus the diddy one that's on the carb.

Anybody know the vacuum hose sizes of hand?
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Amazing what you find. I had a spare hour this morning, so started the beast. No hunting whatsoever :roll: Until the choke came off, when we got the same behaviour

That hunting is all on it's own. Closing the choke plates by hand, effectively putting the choke back ON, and I got a steady 1600rpm with no hunting.

My first thought was too much air, so a I tweaked the idle jet, but found no difference even turned right in, or 4 full turns out. So I figure that pointed to a blocked jet. Whipped out the idle jet and this is what I found
Inlet Jet Fluff.jpg
If you know how big a .45 Weber idle jet is, there's an idea of the size of that bit of fluff!! A blow through with compressed air, back in and straight up to a 2000rpm steady. Couple of minutes adjusting later and I have a smooth 1000rpm idle with cracking pickup :D :D

Proof and pudding etc, I then went for our longest drive yet, about 4 miles, with a silly grin on my face most of the time. A few rattles as expected (no interior fitted at the moment, just the basics, like a seat..)

Happy bunny, and looking forward to Brooklands now :drive:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Great stuff, glad to hear you found the problem and things are coming together!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Jasonmarie wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:52 pm You can’t beat a laser ..... :beer:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Crikey that makes me feel old, I remember binge watching Bond films (on VHS) when I was supposed to be in college.

I'm loving the Capri now. Another short run out today since the spare kept going flat so I took it to my friendly local tyre man. Super chap we found on the local trading estate a couple of years back. Replaced the valve FOC and didn't try and sell me new tyres or anything. I can't have something for nothing so it cost me a drink, but at least I now have a usable spare.

My lad came along for the ride, had to go in the back as still no passenger seat fitted. He was intrigued by the little thing that pops out when you press the other end. He'd found the ashtrays :xd:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Cosmicbike wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:34 pm Crikey that makes me feel old, I remember binge watching Bond films (on VHS) when I was supposed to be in college.

I'm loving the Capri now. Another short run out today since the spare kept going flat so I took it to my friendly local tyre man. Super chap we found on the local trading estate a couple of years back. Replaced the valve FOC and didn't try and sell me new tyres or anything. I can't have something for nothing so it cost me a drink, but at least I now have a usable spare.

My lad came along for the ride, had to go in the back as still no passenger seat fitted. He was intrigued by the little thing that pops out when you press the other end. He'd found the ashtrays :xd:
Glad you're enjoying your Capri.

It's great feeling when you find a person/business that's trustworthy and offers to help you out. It also encourages you to return to them in the future and thereby help support these little independent businesses. Often, if it wasn't for them, we'd be stuck.
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes seeing that does make me old they were the better years of mr Bond Mr James Bond. :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

More money today :lol:

Aside from the NSF tyre which is a reasonably new Dunlop, the tyres are all cracked and 1 was worn smooth on the inside, so I've been looking at tyre options and prices over the last week or so. My local man can get the 185/70/R13 tyres in at similar prices to the internet, but then on one of my many trawls I came across a set of wheels with near new wheels with tyres on, made an offer and collected today. All good, and a set of wheels with tyres for less than a set of tyres would have cost. Slightly lower profile (60's vs 70's), but look OK.
New Wheels.jpg
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

:cool: Looks sweet!
I don't think the tyre size will change your life to be honest - just make the speedo slightly inaccurate
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Well it's been a while. Lots going on so the car has seen little action. I got tired of driving my T5 campervan to work and using it to ferry DIY crap around as it was getting to the point where there would be damage (8x4 ply sheets in the back and lightweight ply furniture don't mix). So I decided to try and get hold of one of my other all time faves, a Volvo 240 estate. The right one came up in January, with issues, 3 weeks MOT and in need of TLC. The focus has been on getting her running nice, and we're nearly there. 1993 injection, MAF/O2/IAC etc is a PITA, give me carbs anyday.
Volvo.jpg
Aside from a drive out a couple of weeks ago, the Laser hasn't moved. But, that's all about to change. I have in the post a pair of front wings, a battery tray, parcel shelf. So it's all stepping up, and Debs is finally getting some focus. Going to have to have one last blast before the wings come off, and when she re-emerges she'll be in 2 litre guise, and maybe a different colour.....
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Nice 240 estate, always had a soft spot for them. I had an early V70 for a while but I think the rear wheel drive Volvos are probably a better experience.
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

Can't believe it's been that long since Debs had any attention. The Volvo (Grace) is now pretty sorted and serving her purpose. Pretty she is not, but I'll tidy her in time.
Meanwhile, the spare room is now housing a pair of pattern wings for Debs. Before I strip the current ones off I'm going to strip to bare metal and see how many bad bits there are. The fronts where they attach to the valance are shot, and the headlight area none too good. I may try and fix them rather than remove, but will play it as it goes.
I did get a bit of time to play yesterday, so started stripping the 2.0 pinto I bought last year. Looks OK so far, needs a fuel pump and water pump, also no dizzy. I may remove the fuel pump from the current 1600 as I think they are the same, not sure about the dizzy though? If the 1600 and 2000 dizzys are the same I'll swap when I drop the new lump in.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

I'm pretty sure the dizzys are the same? Can't think of any reason why they'd be different??

Cheers
Danny
Cosmicbike

Post by Cosmicbike »

D366Y wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:36 pm I'm pretty sure the dizzys are the same? Can't think of any reason why they'd be different??

Cheers
Danny
Me neither, and a bit of internet digging suggests the same, so I'll take that approach. Who knows, maybe within a year that flywheel I collected from you will be in use!! :lol: