New door and boot rubbers

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

New door and boot rubbers

Post by tazla »

:banghead: i bought new door and boot rubbers off vehicletrimuk
Off ebay a few years ago and they looked and fitted great but since fitting the doors and boot need a bit of a slam i didnt really mind that as at least theyre sealing better than the old ones.i changed them because i thought the wind noise would be quieter .so pissing about tonight adjusting the boot catch as it really needs a good slam .if i slam it any harder im sure il break the glass.waisted a good 2 hours .took the rubber out and she locks lovely :doh: done my fecking head in.anyone bought new and where from and does your boot need a slam once fitted or shall i just put up with it! Cheers mel
Arnoldhar
Car(s): 2.0l mk3

Re: New door and boot rubbers

Post by Arnoldhar »

I had the same problem, in the fold of the rubbers are small holes that are there to let the air out when compressed, the problem is the air cannot get out quick enough, if you make the holes a little bigger with a drill the air will escape quicker and they will shut better, then over time it will get even better as the rubber gets more supple
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Are I know the answer to this question come from our Whistable trip as the east Kent trims fit but it’s a bugger to shut the door and the air holes are in the wrong place .
I am sure Mr pinto Nick took note how many holes you have to make in the rubber but it was Andrew with the black 20s Capri who would know his Forum name is Arnold .
Hope this helps but it’s a common problem .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Arnoldhar wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:37 pm I had the same problem, in the fold of the rubbers are small holes that are there to let the air out when compressed, the problem is the air cannot get out quick enough, if you make the holes a little bigger with a drill the air will escape quicker and they will shut better, then over time it will get even better as the rubber gets more supple
Hello mate you beat me to the post ...
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

Haha when I spoke to east Kent about it they told me the rubber is not there design mould and to change the hole size would cost far to much in tooling so we found our own way around it, get a £1 drill bit. The thing would twist your door
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I bet your ears were burning Saturday as we was talking about your stunning Capri and really hope you can make it to Brooklands .
Arnoldhar

Post by Arnoldhar »

My plan is to be there as long as it not pissing down and theres always Dunton as well.
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

Cheers chaps .excellent info.its really done my head in ! Il let you kno how i get on thanks very much