Ford capri 1977 3.0s resto

Use this forum to post you cars pictures, history and modifications.
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Re: Ford capri 1977 3.0s resto

Post by tazla »

Thanks chaps much apreciated .quick washed and shes done for now ImageImage
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Looks great Mel :cheers:

Are you still living in the same area that you moved to last year?
tazla

Post by tazla »

Hi andy sorry for the late reply i didnt see a reply .dozy cnut i am.
Ive just moved half a mile up the road .still in truro loving it.in the garage every night tittyvating.i took the car out last week and it was coughing and farting so i started checking the usual suspects.and it was a charging problem. Brand new altenator not working .and no ignition light either.so i unplugged the plug off the back .tested it.tested the wiring.then had the clocks out and the bulb was blown.i changed it and boom! fixed.then i thought after all that id google it and apparently if the bulb doesnt work the altenator doesnt .the blue wire goes from altenator to back of dash and it exites the charging system .well something like that haha.you only asked if im living int same area haha. :headscratch:
andyd

Post by andyd »

tazla wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:02 pm Hi andy sorry for the late reply i didnt see a reply .dozy cnut i am.
Ive just moved half a mile up the road .still in truro loving it.in the garage every night tittyvating.i took the car out last week and it was coughing and farting so i started checking the usual suspects.and it was a charging problem. Brand new altenator not working .and no ignition light either.so i unplugged the plug off the back .tested it.tested the wiring.then had the clocks out and the bulb was blown.i changed it and boom! fixed.then i thought after all that id google it and apparently if the bulb doesnt work the altenator doesnt .the blue wire goes from altenator to back of dash and it exites the charging system .well something like that haha.you only asked if im living int same area haha. :headscratch:
Thanks for the reply Mel.
I don't get to Cornwall as much as I did, but hopefully our paths will cross at some point :cheers:

Interesting fact about the alternator system, never knew that but it sort of makes sense.

:goodluck:
tazla

Post by tazla »

Hope so andy.il try to get to some shows a bit further up country a d meet up some time
andyd

Post by andyd »

tazla wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:29 am Hope so andy.il try to get to some shows a bit further up country a d meet up some time
:cheers:
There are several shows around Exeter area if you are interested next year. We have another chap that drives up from Cornwall to attend a few.
tazla

Post by tazla »

Definately andy .only problem with cornwall is the local capri club has a bit of a click and i went to a show with them all and no one spoke to me all day.never came over to me or looked at my car .strange as when i was up north it was different.but hey ho might just be me.so ive been to a few shows on my own.so yep that would be nice.ive got a ticket to show my car at a big cornwall show this year and the capri club down here go to it.that will be fun haha.i dont give a flying shit to be honest .
Any way can you spot the difference
Image Image
andyd

Post by andyd »

tazla wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:26 pm Definately andy .only problem with cornwall is the local capri club has a bit of a click and i went to a show with them all and no one spoke to me all day.never came over to me or looked at my car .strange as when i was up north it was different.but hey ho might just be me.so ive been to a few shows on my own.so yep that would be nice.ive got a ticket to show my car at a big cornwall show this year and the capri club down here go to it.that will be fun haha.i dont give a flying shit to be honest .
Any way can you spot the difference
I remember you saying you felt a bit left out :(

Can't understand why clubs do that, I have spoken to some of the members in Duchy Capri Club and they seemed ok :?

I believe they now take any 80's Ford not just Capris.

You are more than welcome to join us when you can, and bring a cup the kettle is always on :D

In the new year I will PM you some show dates so you can decide :cool:

Have studied the pics but can't see any real difference, apart from number plate lights look a different colour or is that the angle of the sunlight? And it being spotlessly clean in the second pic :headscratch:
tazla

Post by tazla »

Cheers .the two chaps who organise it are nice chaps and busy lads at the shows so cant really chat.il put it down to being new on the scene .
Yep number plate lamps changed.the old ones were chipped broken and painted so i realised i had a good original set so changed them.the fixings arent right so i need to find out which are correct and thanks for the heads up on shows :)
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

The beast is certainly looking the business. :lowrider: :cool:
tazla

Post by tazla »

Thanks all.righty ho im going to try and sort my doorcards out.
The doorcard seals were all cracked and shrunk so i ordered new ones .they arrived and i stapled one on.trial fitted and it doesnt sit nowhere near the glass.the door cards warped Imagethe lip where it hooks onto the door is warped out . so i soaked them through for a couple of hours or so Imagethen clamped the top lip so that hopefully it sits straight.Image Image il let it dry out then staple the new rubber on and hopefully it might work and the rubber hits the glass . :roll:
tazla

Post by tazla »

This should have been the first pic you can see the lip that hooks over the top of the door is on the piss .where i think it should be straighter.mmm ImageImage
andyd

Post by andyd »

Did you sort the door cards Mel?
tazla

Post by tazla »

No! Fecking fuming with them they are better but still not right they did go back a bit but its the door cards being 40 year old and soaking them with water weakens the hardboard when they dried out they were weaker.the hardboard springs back .they werent bad and i thought thatl do and when i put the door pull back on it sprang em out again.so three black screws along the top of door card spaced out even and bollocks to it ! Most door cards are the same with age so il have to make do.cant say i havnt tried suppose.Imagepost a pic il have to wait and see if a mint set come up :roll:
andyd

Post by andyd »

I suppose this is the problem when you do a job where old parts are still in place. Screws look ok, but I understand your frustration.

:goodluck:
tazla

Post by tazla »

True andy.i think they look crap to be honest but thats the next mans problem i suppose.not much gappage though haha.Imagewhere is the nearest pnc atm
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Don't know if they are deep enough but would something like these be any good if you are not happy with the screws

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products ... lsrc=aw.ds
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
tazla

Post by tazla »

Hi peter they are not long enough .great idea though .im not happy with the screws but the doorcard was half an inch away from the window in the middle and you could see the original staples and brown hardboard from outside looking in .
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

It might be worth asking Martin what he has got in the way of long trim clips knocking around somewhere as they would do the job and not stand out.

I know what you mean about the hardboard on door cards weakening, I had the same years ago with some warped door cards on an old Sunbeam which were nigh on impossible to find replacements for. I soaked the backs in diluted PVA glue a couple of times and held them in shape with weights to dry which seemed to toughen up the decaying hardboard enough to keep their shape.
tazla

Post by tazla »

Hi everyone ive shown say they look ok and leave em but they havnt a clue to be honest.i think im onto a mint low mileage cars door cards il believe it when i see it .i find out next week if theyre a good set.doubt it !