Cutting out when hot

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Cutting out when hot

Post by Allan mcl »

Starting to cut out when hot. After the engine is hot when I slow down and come to a stop the idle drops and then cuts out.starts straight back up can drive for a hundred yards stop and then cuts out again.it will keep doing this until it cools of.i have not adjusted anything.
Help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Allan
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Re: Cutting out when hot

Post by Peter-S »

Check the 'free' things first - are all the electrical connections on the battery and coil properly secure, including the earth connection to the engine block.
What colour are the plugs when it stalls - if they are very sooty it will be over fuelling.
If these checks are OK I would try a replacement coil.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Has it got points & condenser or points replacement ?

When I first got mine it had a lumenition system fitted back in the 90's, found that when it got warm it died & got progressively worse at restarting. Stripped it out & put points replacement system in
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Lord Flasheart wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:00 pm Has it got points & condenser or points replacement ?

When I first got mine it had a lumenition system fitted back in the 90's, found that when it got warm it died & got progressively worse at restarting. Stripped it out & put points replacement system in
Same here, Lumenition in my opinion is expensive rubbish - went back to using points and condenser, although to be fair Lumenition may be more reliable now....
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I went through a spell of my car doing this, exactly as you describe. After lots of investigation and changing things and messing about, I changed the dissy cap and rotor arm and that did it for me.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Could be an air leak? Dropping idle, brakes in use. Spray carb cleaner around the carb and associated hoses and see if a leak is evident.
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

Idle mixture too rich? Ignition timing weights sticking in dizzy? Also check vacuum advance pipe connected both ends? This is an air leak as mentioned above and affects timing as well.

Maybe a simple top end service if none of these faults. New plugs/leads/condenser/rotor arm/cap. Set it all up again, ignition timing first then carb idle mixture. Problem will go away. Definitely.
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

Is your car running points and condenser or has it been converted to electronic ignition?
Wayne
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
Allan mcl
Car(s): Capri mk3 1600 laser,jaguar c.f., daily,Morris minor rarely, mini cooper.

Post by Allan mcl »

Running on points and condenser, both were changed about 500 miles ago along with plugs,cap and rotor arm.dont now why but when it cuts out sometimes the brake warning light also comes on.
Got my head done in.

Cheers.
Allan mcl

What are the best plug and points gap for a 1600 laser with webber, also best btdc.

Post by Allan mcl »

Still having problems when hot, thinking about going back to basics and double checking everything.
Thanks
Allan
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I had a "dying when hot " problem too, turned out to be the tacho ,something inside crapped out when hot ,and effectively shorted the tach sensor wire (from the coil ) to earth and killed the sparks,give it 20 mins to cool down and away we go again. It started as a random single hiccup accompanied with the tach needle dropping ,initially this happened so quick it was almost undetectable . When it crapped out completely I quickly found Scott knows parks ,and after fiddling with the wires round the coil it burst into life but upon getting back in the car I saw the tacho not working ,inspection showed I had neglected to connect said coil/tach wire and when I did the engine died again. I fitted another tach .........yay
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Plugs are 30 thou`. Points should best be set with a dwell meter to 50`, start with a gap of 20thou` & work from there. Static timing for a 1600, with DGAV, is 8`BTDC, (disconnect & plug the vac. advance) again best done with a timing light, PLUS then you can check the advance works as you increase revs.

"I had a "dying when hot " problem too, turned out to be the tacho ,something inside crapped out when hot ,and effectively shorted the tach sensor wire (from the coil ) to earth and killed the sparks,give it 20 mins to cool down and away we go again. "
Good point, that`s very interesting, something you wouldn`t think of. IIRC it`s a green wire feeds the tacho (???), worth disconnecting just to rule that out?
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

All good advice from above, try putting the original condenser back in her if you still have it, had the dying when hot problem a couple of years ago and it turned out to be the 'new' condenser I put in was defective

Mr B
Allan mcl

Post by Allan mcl »

Will need to buy another condenser as the other one was shot as it would not start at all. Can't understand how it cuts out but starts straight back up at turn of the key.

Cheers
Allan
Mr B
Donator
Donator

Post by Mr B »

At first my car would restart after cutting out but it then progressed to not starting up at all until half hour or so had passed, I got so pissed off with the fact it would never bloody do it outside my house that I parked the car up and left it alone for a few days then one night I went out there started her up and left her ticking over then all of a sudden she started misfiring, I thought right I've got you now you basstard and I proceeded to change one thing at a time until finally the condenser was changed and the misfiring stopped - never had a problem since

Wayne