What Car Is This

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

What Car Is This

Post by pbar »

Can anyone determine for sure what car is in this video, make/model/year?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzCRFDZDyJY

Just wondering what one of the greatest rock musicians ever is driving around in.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: What Car Is This

Post by Paul G »

It's obviously a Toyota but difficult to determine which one. Not a prius, maybe an Auris or a RAV 4. The air vents could be a big clue for a real anorak; they're different to most Toyotas I've seen.

What peed me off was the greedy git wanting loads of autographs - blatent profiteering if you ask me.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

I was going to say Celica, but don`t suppose they`ve made them for years? *Ex* Queen bassist?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:15 pm I was going to say Celica, but don`t suppose they`ve made them for years? *Ex* Queen bassist?
They stopped making Celica's back in 2006 so doubt that's it - I was gonna guess Auris
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:04 pm It's obviously a Toyota but difficult to determine which one. Not a prius, maybe an Auris or a RAV 4. The air vents could be a big clue for a real anorak; they're different to most Toyotas I've seen.

What peed me off was the greedy git wanting loads of autographs - blatent profiteering if you ask me.
As many of the comments in the link said, that's taking the p*ss getting him to sign that many guitar scratch plates :evil: Many would have told him to bugger off!!

Ask for an autograph, shake his hand and say thankyou is all you have to do :)
stevemarl wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:15 pm I was going to say Celica, but don`t suppose they`ve made them for years? *Ex* Queen bassist?
John Deacon :cheers:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Look at the way the window lower edge in the rear door sweeps upwards. Definitely a second generation Aygo.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm Look at the way the window lower edge in the rear door sweeps upwards. Definitely a second generation Aygo.

Andrew.
Considering he is worth around £130 millon, that says alot about the guy driving a modest car. He may have other cars, but fairplay to him.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

[/quote]

No, I know who he is, it was the `ex` bit: isn`t he still?
andyd

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:03 pm
[/quote]
:lol:
I knew he didn't play with them now but didn't realise for how long :shock:

Tells you all you need to know https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Deacon
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:03 pm

I know Wikipedia isn't the most reliable but apparently he hasn't performed for them since 1997 at which point he retired from music, he even chose to be absent from their hall of fame induction.

As recently as 2014 Brian May said that Deacon is very quiet, tries to stay out the limelight and they have very little contact with him but he is still somewhat involved in the band's finances
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Oh, right, didn`t know that. I thought he was still maybe playing when they re-united, had no idea he`d quit. I mean without Mr Mercury & Mr Deacon. it`s not really Queen in my eyes. I mean I`d pay just to see Brian May alone, `cos he`s a genius, but he`s not Queen though

EDIT: Wow 1997! Incredible - I had no idea !
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

stevemarl wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm Oh, right, didn`t know that. I thought he was still maybe playing when they re-united, had no idea he`d quit. I mean without Mr Mercury & Mr Deacon. it`s not really Queen in my eyes. I mean I`d pay just to see Brian May alone, `cos he`s a genius, but he`s not Queen though

Couldn't agree more - apparently Deacon took Mercury's death the worst and didn't want to continue so played three times after his death and that was about it.

The frontman now is very impressive but it's not just the same
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:32 pm
stevemarl wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm Oh, right, didn`t know that. I thought he was still maybe playing when they re-united, had no idea he`d quit. I mean without Mr Mercury & Mr Deacon. it`s not really Queen in my eyes. I mean I`d pay just to see Brian May alone, `cos he`s a genius, but he`s not Queen though

Couldn't agree more - apparently Deacon took Mercury's death the worst and didn't want to continue so played three times after his death and that was about it.

The frontman now is very impressive but it's not just the same
FM has been gone 28 years :o I can still remember hearing it on the radio at the time.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:28 pm Look at the way the window lower edge in the rear door sweeps upwards. Definitely a second generation Aygo.

Andrew.
Spot on Andrew, I didn't even look at this model!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

As said, what a gent. Even though he looks like he's about to go out somewhere, he's still willing to patiently sign all those scratchplates. I wonder what the person filming would have done if JD had signed a couple then refused to sign the rest? In my eyes, that would be a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but would that person have sold the footage to a tabloid who may have made a sensationalist story about how JD had thrown a strop? The reason I say that is because if the person in question had been a real fan, he would have asked for one, maybe two, signatures because he wouldn't have wanted to intrude. To ask for so many signatures reeks of somebody who is only interested in making some money out of the situation, one way or another. By the way, signed scratchplates are selling between £55 and £999 each on Ebay, depending upon the artist.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew.
I had a little bet with myself that you would know it Andrew :) Thanks and thanks to all for the replies and help, appreciate it.

Not what you would expect from someone worth a hundred million-ish, does anyone actually count it when you reach those kind of figures.

MInd you, as stated he had retired from the limelight 20 years ago. I used to have a couple of Queen members autographs, still have one of Mercury.

A little fact - back in Queen's heyday Deacon wanted to buy a Capri, his car of choice. But Mercury put him off proclaiming it wasn't rock star enough!

I've 'followed' Deacon's progress for some decades being a big music/Queen fan, had no idea the video would be of such interest to some of you. But, check this out, it is of similar ilk -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0rfgZvvM8

It is incredibly sad at timecode 20 seconds.

Thanks again.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:03 pm

Andrew.
I had a little bet with myself that you would know it Andrew :) Thanks and thanks to all for the replies and help, appreciate it.

Not what you would expect from someone worth a hundred million-ish, does anyone actually count it when you reach those kind of figures.

MInd you, as stated he had retired from the limelight 20 years ago. I used to have a couple of Queen members autographs, still have one of Mercury.

A little fact - back in Queen's heyday Deacon wanted to buy a Capri, his car of choice. But Mercury put him off proclaiming it wasn't rock star enough!

I've 'followed' Deacon's progress for some decades being a big music/Queen fan, had no idea the video would be of such interest to some of you. But, check this out, it is of similar ilk -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN0rfgZvvM8

It is incredibly sad at timecode 20 seconds.

Thanks again.
Not a life I would want being hounded when I went out, but yet again selfish individuals only considering what they want :(

And he should have bought a Capri :D

:cheers: