Repairing Ford Rubber Spoilers

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Repairing Ford Rubber Spoilers

Post by Cosmicbike »

I have been fortunate to have picked up a genuine Ford turbotail today. It's been stored for a while, and needs stripping into parts and a couple of repairs made. Does anyone know what's best for repairing these rubber type spoilers? It's got a small chunk missing, and has had a repair in the past. Are there any available fillers that will actually stick, and won't stick out like a sore thumb once it's been refinished nicely in black?
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: Repairing Ford Rubber Spoilers

Post by Not_Anumber »

Try to get hold of Arya2.0S as he has repaired turbo tails and also made a replica
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Mines custard too , the steel inner form has rusted ....almost completely .....lumps of rust fall out if ya poke it :poke:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Mine was covered in about five layers of paint and primer.
When I got it it was dark purple, under that was primer, and under that was metallic blue and more primer.
It was cracking and flaking off, but the spoiler itself was intact.
I've been slowly working on it for nearly two years, and I'm only now getting round to repainting it in black plastidip to give it a finish that looks original as I've had to strip all the paint by hand with sand paper so I couldn't save the original finish.
In my experience, there's not much out there that can help.
I've found this thread useful, not a turbo tail but same material.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=109898
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

Cheers folks. It's currently soaking in WD40 as most of the assembly bolts have rotted away. One I get it in pieces and clean I'll have a closer look at repairs.