heard it all now....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: heard it all now....

Post by stevemarl »

pbar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:39 pm
As a country we won two World Wars, a snowflake attitude wasn't, and counldn't, be allowed. We have a cup of tea and get on with it. It is a mindset we need to get back.

Yep!
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:06 pm One last one, literally.
It really annoys me when you get someone on TV talking about how something `literally tore me apart`; ` I was literally climbing the walls/ dying of thirst/ ` et cetera. Not to mention I`ll give it 110%.

Was just thinking about what Paul said about Starsky and Hutch etc in the `70s, I don`t remember them actually making much, if any, impact on the language, not like now, inverting meanings, (sick, wicked etc) I think the whole `street culture` rap etc has had a huge and negative input. Mostly that, for boys to be clever is uncool, thug is the way to go. (This was identified in some kind of Government white paper into why certain kids were failing - it was uncool to be clever!) Whole new issue that.
The last 30 years or so rap and it's attitude are a major contribution. White kids who are wannabe gangsters with their homies speaking broken english! No hope :cigar:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:15 pm
The last 30 years or so rap and it's attitude are a major contribution. White kids who are wannabe gangsters with their homies speaking broken english! No hope :cigar:
It amazes me that, we have all the PC stuff, `me too` et cetera, which is quite right, and yet it`s OK for women to be routinely referred to as bitches and whores in `street` culture? What is going on??? A big fat sweaty rapper surrounded by lithe, sensual young `babes`: seriously, the world really is going down the toilet.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:06 pm
Was just thinking about what Paul said about Starsky and Hutch etc in the `70s, I don`t remember them actually making much, if any, impact on the language, not like now, inverting meanings, (sick, wicked etc) I think the whole `street culture` rap etc has had a huge and negative input.
You got it Steve. We briefly mentioned 911 before (the group and how young people may think that's our emergency number), popular music has a massive influence on Nationwide/International young people. And by it's nature (played all over the world in an instant), spreads rapidly. Rap music, as bad as it is, is popular and has influenced a generation or two of young people to be down on the street, moody, cool and violent.

Musical movements have always been like this, but even the most 'dangerous' one, Punk, had a comical side to it, was bright, colourful and energetic, you had to be motivated to be a part of it.

Rap is downright moody, sombre and just plain aggressive. I mean Rappers shoot each other, what?

Music in general has been this way for far too long now, downbeat, gloomy and miserable. Young people will get drawn into it.

Give me the 70's Glam Rock years, vibrant, full of life, brash and happy. That's why I still iive there. Cum On Feel The Noize!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

stevemarl wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:46 am Guilty as charged! (must admit I had to google that.......)
I think it`s to suggest that the sentence has ended but the subject/thought is still ongoing, if that makes sense? Never really thought about it b4. (see what I did there?)
I want to change my plea - not guilty! I feel I`ve been treated a little harshly; did a quick bit of research into what an ellipsis was (I had no idea) and I don`t think I was far off the mark with "it`s to suggest that the sentence has ended but the subject/thought is still ongoing, "

From Wikipedia:
Depending on their context and placement in a sentence, ellipses can indicate an unfinished thought, a leading statement, a slight pause, an echoing voice, or a nervous or awkward silence. Aposiopesis is the use of an ellipsis to trail off into silence—for example: "But I thought he was …" When placed at the beginning or end of a sentence, the ellipsis can also inspire a feeling of melancholy or longing.

As I said, I`d honestly never heard the term, had to google it, but I`ve probably picked it up from reading literature, newspapers,etc (NOT the internet) which is I guess how people naturally learn language? Anyway, I claim it was an aposiopesis ... :D,

Totally agree about the 70`s 80`s, probably the best time for creativity, diversity you name it. everything from Sabbath, Led Zep through Slade, Bowie to Kate Bush and the Clash. and Pink Floyd (Van der Graaf Generator in Deb`s world :D ) Hard to believe the riches laid before us in one decade. I know I can listen to it all on CD and believe me the absolute *JOY* we`ve experienced lately rediscovering Queen`s back catalogue whilst blasting around the sunny B roads of Cheshire - absolute pure joy! But I don`t LIKE living in the past, I do miss hearing new records on the radio.... Oh I wish I could go back and start again... (whistful, longing aposiopesis)
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:54 am but I`ve probably picked it up from reading literature, newspapers,etc (NOT the internet)
That's what you think Steve!

I stand by the fact that it is vastly over-used and usually incorrectly. Far be it for Wikipedia to be erroneous! ;) And this over-use has been due to constantly seeing it on the internet/forums I think.
Last edited by pbar on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:13 pm This is something I thnk Pbar`s touched on previously. Just watching the Chase: 1st contestant is an `early years practitioner` - which in the real world translates to a nursery nurse.
I don't watch Pointless, but apparently yesterday there was a contestant calling himself a Mixologist. When questioned about it he said he mixes cocktails behind a bar.

So he works behind a bar. What's wrong with just saying that then.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Paul,
Must admit the OED does seem to back up what you`re saying. but on one level I stand by Wikipedia`s version as it does seem a really useful tool in helping express nuanced meanings? Particularly the aposiososysisisis or whatever... Surely that`s a good evolution of language rather than the butchering, brutalised de-constructed way it`s going generally nowadays?

I think `that`s what you think` is a little harsh; I know I`ve spent much more time reading `paper` than I ever have on the internet (I`m really old remember!) I`ve probably added more ellipses to the internet than I`ve taken from it. :D
pbar

Post by pbar »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:51 am
I think `that`s what you think` is a little harsh; I know I`ve spent much more time reading `paper` than I ever have on the internet
I meant that the internet has a way of infiltrating our thoughts, that we don't realise it's happening. It does with me anyway. Interesting point about time spent reading 'proper' written word as opposed to the internet. I would have said the same as you, but thinking about it I'm really not so sure, never seem to stop staring at a screen these days, like most of us I guess.

Nice to see you back here and so active again :)
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Nice bunch of people here.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:22 pm
stevemarl wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:06 pm
Was just thinking about what Paul said about Starsky and Hutch etc in the `70s, I don`t remember them actually making much, if any, impact on the language, not like now, inverting meanings, (sick, wicked etc) I think the whole `street culture` rap etc has had a huge and negative input.
You got it Steve. We briefly mentioned 911 before (the group and how young people may think that's our emergency number), popular music has a massive influence on Nationwide/International young people. And by it's nature (played all over the world in an instant), spreads rapidly. Rap music, as bad as it is, is popular and has influenced a generation or two of young people to be down on the street, moody, cool and violent.

Musical movements have always been like this, but even the most 'dangerous' one, Punk, had a comical side to it, was bright, colourful and energetic, you had to be motivated to be a part of it.

Rap is downright moody, sombre and just plain aggressive. I mean Rappers shoot each other, what?

Music in general has been this way for far too long now, downbeat, gloomy and miserable. Young people will get drawn into it.

Give me the 70's Glam Rock years, vibrant, full of life, brash and happy. That's why I still iive there. Cum On Feel The Noize!
70's Glam Rock and Hard rock, Early 80's (NWOBHM especially) I feel lucky to have experienced that music :guitar:

Stick with what I know, and if/when something new and interesting comes along then all good. Not holding my breath though.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

andyd wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 am
70's Glam Rock and Hard rock, Early 80's (NWOBHM especially) I feel lucky to have experienced that music :guitar:

Stick with what I know, and if/when something new and interesting comes along then all good. Not holding my breath though.
I couldnt agree more. Every now and then I keep trying to branch out and listen to new bands but most of the real discoveries are bands who have been around for years that i just hadnt thought of listening to before.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:51 pm
andyd wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:59 am

I couldnt agree more. Every now and then I keep trying to branch out and listen to new bands but most of the real discoveries are bands who have been around for years that i just hadnt thought of listening to before.
Far from a new band (2003) But the last Albums I bought were from these guys around 2010/2012 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2IyX5LXGyg

Saw them supporting Iron Maiden in 2011 :cool:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Listening to them now. Excellent. Great to see the late Lemmy in the video. I bumped into him once in the Marquee club in Wardour Street, he'd just turned up to watch a band with everyone else, was happy to chat to everyone and went home on the tube.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:49 pm Listening to them now. Excellent. Great to see the late Lemmy in the video. I bumped into him once in the Marquee club in Wardour Street, he'd just turned up to watch a band with everyone else, was happy to chat to everyone and went home on the tube.
Very AC/DC I'm sure you'll agree. Good driving music!!
They don't take themselves too seriously, and talk about the same things as what the old 80's bands did, Sex, Rock n Roll and good times :cheers:

New bands all have something to say :sleepy: :sleepy:

Nice one meeting Lemmy wish I did, he was a very intelligent guy and lived most of his 70 years to the full :D Sadly missed!!

His book White Line Fever is a good read.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Very AC/DC- though the last I saw AC/DC live Axl Rose was covering vocal duties in place of Brian Johnson. So more like AC/D... Their support act Rival Sons was well chosen though and have become increasingly well known since.

A new band id very much like to see live one day is Greta van Fleet. very Led Zeppelinesq
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

stevemarl wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:00 am Nice bunch of people here.
Very kind of you to bring me into this thread Steve :wave: :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:31 pm
Me too :)
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:50 pm
andyd wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:31 pm
Me too :)
:wave:
This was the last concert I went to.
Had to drive to Birmingham indoor arena. Bit too far really, but alot of bands don't come down this far now. Many did in the 70's/80's though.
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

I would say my biggest pet hate is “I was like...”. It is absolutely everywhere. I’ve noticed if you chew gum you are particularly prone to it.

Example being “Tanyaaaaahhh kissed my boyfriend, I was like well angry..” etc

I’ve noticed the beeb news online quoting people who say it, hardly helps to educate the nation. I didn’t get an A in English but this says to me who’s illiterate. :speakenglish:

You weren’t like anything. You were angry!

As for the bands, now you sound like old farts!