Swapping final drive in diff

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Swapping final drive in diff

Post by tazla »

Good evening chaps . Not had much input recently as ive been busy and i wish everyone well. So If i fit a shorter final drive in my rear diff (its a 2.8 lsd rear axle) the car is a 3.0 essex engined 4 speeder.will there be a good noticable change in accelleration or am i wasting my time.anyone been there and done it.thanks mel
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Swapping final drive in diff

Post by Caprigear »

The LSD axle is the same ratio as the standard 3 litre (3.09 -1) if you fit a shorter diff then you will improve acceleration but at the cost of the top end and you'll find the car is revving higher at speed. Personally I would leave well alone.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

Hi mate,

I have tried this before and wasn't that impressed to be honest, a better option would be a 2 litre diff combined with a 5 speed box from a 2.8, better acceleration and good top end as well, the problem is finding a decent 2.8 box (2.8 box is much weaker than the 4 speeder) and of course you will need the elusive 70's bellhousing to connect the whole lot to the Essex, they do come up on eBay every now and then though, Burton power sell an ally bellhousing but it's bloody expensive.

Mr B
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
tazla
Car(s): Mk2 3.0s stardust silver

Post by tazla »

Cheers chaps.il leave it then.when i first got the car it had a new 2.8 gearbox with it but i sold it :roll: as i wanted to keep things original.i think u have to cut the tunnel for the 2.8 to fit which i dont really want to do.thanks mel