Spot the difference

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Spot the difference

Post by Peter-S »

Guess I'd better hope its dry enough to polish the other half tomorrow!
Attachments
DSC_0013.JPG
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Spot the difference

Post by Jasonmarie »

Black does look so good when polished yes I went to do mine yesterday but that wind and rain kept on coming . I did mine today and it was just right .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Looks great Peter!
Black cars do look great when polished and, in my opinion, the colour really emphasises the muscular shape of the Capri.
However, it's a difficult colour to keep clean and shows up the dust more than any other colour.

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 am shows up the dust more than any other colour.
Small dents too, they really catch the light on a black car. It is a great Capri colour though.

I'm interested to know Peter, what product(s) and method you used for that.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 am Looks great Peter!

However, it's a difficult colour to keep clean and shows up the dust more than any other colour.

Andrew.
I found last weekend that red does too :lol:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Black does look good when polished up. The effect you've got there Peter looks deep enough to swim in, well worth the time & effort.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Holy Moses Peter !! What a shine sir !!! Looks amazing.
Peter does this mean you are bringing the Injection to Deal next Sat mate ?? Not seen it for a while :)

Yep I agree Black is a stunning colour for a Capri. Really suits the lines. My previous Laser was Black and jeepers the shine I got on it was amazing....till two days later being parked on the road !! :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Caprifan Rob wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 9:05 am Black does look good when polished up. The effect you've got there Peter looks deep enough to swim in, well worth the time & effort.

Cheers Rob. Looks best from a slight distance and takes a good snap :) As mentioned when you do clean properly you can see the bad bits better as well!
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:48 am Looks great Peter!
Andrew.
Thanks Andrew :)
pbar wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 8:15 am
I'm interested to know Peter, what product(s) and method you used for that.
Bit of a mission really Paul. I'm not a fan of constant cleaning and so last year when the 2.8 was off the road until mid summer it got really dirty from dust that blows from the nearby farm and spiders and other wildlife that used it as a toilet. When I eventually washed it the paint looked pretty dead. A bit of polishing did improve things but I felt a bit of effort was in order this year.
First up and a new experience for me was a clay bar. This flatted the paint so I manually applied some G10 followed by Meguilars Ultimate Compound. For good measure I then gave it a light polish with Auto Glym resin polish then waxed it. The photo is after the clay bar all over and the whole process on the good side. It's taken a while to do the whole car!
Fordoholic Nick wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 5:50 pm
Holy Moses Peter !! What a shine sir !!! Looks amazing.
Peter does this mean you are bringing the Injection to Deal next Sat mate ??
Nick, using your crystal ball and my answer to Paul as a guide, what do you reckon :lol:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Peter-S wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:13 pmNick, using your crystal ball and my answer to Paul as a guide, what do you reckon :lol:
:lol: Hmmm...guessing its the Injection then.... :P

Nice one Peter !! Excellent bit of detailing Sir !! Really looking forward to seeing your gleaming Injection fella...oh and you too of course !!!!
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:13 pm I'm not a fan of constant cleaning.....
First up and a new experience for me was a clay bar. This flatted the paint so I manually applied some G10 followed by Meguilars Ultimate Compound. For good measure I then gave it a light polish with Auto Glym resin polish then waxed it.
It sounds like you're on a slippery slope there, Peter. Car show mirrors aren't far away now! :lol:

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:13 pm
Bit of a mission really Paul. I'm not a fan of constant cleaning and so last year when the 2.8 was off the road until mid summer it got really dirty from dust that blows from the nearby farm and spiders and other wildlife that used it as a toilet. When I eventually washed it the paint looked pretty dead. A bit of polishing did improve things but I felt a bit of effort was in order this year.
First up and a new experience for me was a clay bar. This flatted the paint so I manually applied some G10 followed by Meguilars Ultimate Compound. For good measure I then gave it a light polish with Auto Glym resin polish then waxed it. The photo is after the clay bar all over and the whole process on the good side. It's taken a while to do the whole car!
Thanks Peter. The effort you put in really has given a top notch result. I'm not a fan of forever titivating the bodywork (insert Carry On joke here) either, I do like to give a proper old school wash, and I will think about some titivation, but then I'll go and have fun and drive him instead :)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

pbar wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:40 pm
Peter-S wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 10:13 pm
Thanks Peter. The effort you put in really has given a top notch result. I'm not a fan of forever titivating the bodywork (insert Carry On joke here) either, I do like to give a proper old school wash, and I will think about some titivation, but then I'll go and have fun and drive him instead :)
Claying made a massive difference for me - it's a ballache don't get me wrong, but you only need to do it once/twice a year to get all the crud off after winter and get all the tree sap off after summer, then polish and wax

In all honesty I've not washed the Laser since the turn of the year - I really need to make some effort now if everyone else is
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.