Leaf spring front bolt

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jrooney1991
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser - Back on the road!

Leaf spring front bolt

Post by jrooney1991 »

Afternoon all,

After a bit of a steer around leaf spring bolts. Managed to suss the rear set up but the front bolts were cut etc out to the point of destruction so I now can't look at them. The new bolts (from CCI) are the right length but have to go through three 'skins' of metal rather than just a nut either side of the leaf.

Does anybody know if bush or spacer goes into the chassis rail cavity (seen as a white hole in the below picture). I can't work out how the leaf is pinched properly as without something in the rail, one side of the leaf wouldn't be pinched up against a bolt nut/head and floating?

My explanation is horrible I know, but if someone could take a picture of their front leaf bolts both sides it would help me greatly!

Sadly the old bolts were taken out by some willing friends, but without forethought! Honest guv! :doh:

Image[/img]

[/img]
James Roooooooooooooooooooney!

http://www.clappedouttoclassic.blogspot.co.uk

Have a quick look at my Capri's ongoing restoration! You might teach me something!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Leaf spring front bolt

Post by Paul G »

The hole through the chassis is sleeved at the factory. The steel centre sleeve in the front spring bush allows the bolt to be fully tightened and should not be fully tightened until the weight of the car is on its wheels.
jrooney1991
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser - Back on the road!

Re: Leaf spring front bolt

Post by jrooney1991 »

You're right! A bit different to any other car I've worked on with leaf's, but all worked, many thanks!
James Roooooooooooooooooooney!

http://www.clappedouttoclassic.blogspot.co.uk

Have a quick look at my Capri's ongoing restoration! You might teach me something!