Rear Shocks Upgrade

Use this forum to post threads of ongoing Capri projects and restorations.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Rear Shocks Upgrade

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi chaps,

As title I finally decided to upgrade my rear shocks yesterday. Having already fitted single leafs with 1.5" lowering blocks and was still running on the old dampers I wanted to fit new gas ones to replace these old oil ones I reckon they must have been on B112 for at least 12yrs now and am sure were not doing my new set up the justice it deserves. These new shocks were the last items to need replacing on.my full suspension resto. So I got onto Tickover and treated myself to a pair of the Spax Adjustable Gas Shocks they sell. Very nice shocks indeed. They are adjustable for ride performance from soft to very firm with 28 settings to be had.

Had not replaced shocks before but John popped over to keep an eye on me. Thanks for your help John as ever and great to see your Dad too !! New shocks went in fairly easily although getting the bottom of the shock into the axle bracket was tight and needed a bit of tugging and pulling to get it in but job done and a good one.

The weather and my back tooka turn for the worse :lol: so will get B112 out for a test drive after work today. These Spax Shocks have 28 settings so am starting at one of the softer settings then increasing by four clicks if needed till I am happy.

Anyway nothing too exciting but a few pics...

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Rear Shocks Upgrade

Post by andyd »

Looks good Nick :)

Always good to have a mate at hand for advice.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Thanks Andy. Very nice shocks these mate. The old ones have been on for at least 12yrs but the top nuts were in very good condition considering I hear tales of rusted nuts etc
Its pretty fiddly getting them off via the small inspection window but a darn sight easier than if you follow Mr Haynes who pretty much tells you to strip out half the rear of the car to get to tnem :lol: :lol: But this prob eases the stress of not dropping the fixings down the back of the trim behind sests !!
andyd wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:29 amAlways good to have a mate at hand for advice.
Yes Andy. John is always ready to be at hand to help no matter. Hes a top man !!! Was good to have him around yesterday. I nevet stop learning from him ;)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Well done there Nick she looks amazing glad John was there as it really does help . You can really have a play now with how stiff you want it . :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Good work by the lacquer red boys, as always. Your car definitely looks as stunning on the underside as it does on the overside! :D
It will be interesting to see how you get on with these Spax shocks, as I tried them a few years ago but had some issues with them.
Comparing the photos of the Spax with your original shocks, they all look to be about the same diameter, whereas the Spax are like matchsticks when compared with 2.8 shocks. That might help to explain why I had problems with them that you, hopefully, won't experience.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So this is the video of when Young Nick made the fall to Spax
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer: