Super unleaded or just unleaded

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Super unleaded or just unleaded

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I have a small question , now my heads have been converted to unleaded back in 2011 also in 1996 it had a inline fuel converter what are sold on the Capri club .
My last trip to Tickover I had a new fuel line put in and the old converter removed what has helped so much with stating as if I left the car for a week she would need a few turns of the key to get going . And now she is fine .
But my question is I still use super unleaded and use the mills oils as it stops the ethanol from gumming up the Webber .
So who else uses super unleaded or just leaded ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Super unleaded or just unleaded

Post by andyd »

Standard unleaded with a lead additive :cheers:
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

To be fair the ethanol is just alcohol, it`s not really going to gum up your carb, apparently it just dissolves it.... :( Seriously.

Super unleaded has a higher octane rating so in theory would enable you to run more ignition advance but it`s a waste of money really, as Andy said regular unleaded is fine.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: my question is I still use super unleaded and use the mills oils as it stops the ethanol from gumming up the Webber .
So who else uses super unleaded or just leaded ?
For what it's worth, here are my thoughts on the subject.
Miller's VSPE Power Plus claims to increase the octane rating of fuel by two points, so it effectively turns regular 95 RON unleaded into 97 RON, which is equivalent to some brands of super unleaded petrol.
If that is correct, I would suggest that super unleaded is an unnecessary expense if you're adding VSPE+ to your petrol.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

My Capri doesn't have unleaded valve seats and I use Penrite lead substitute ( used to use valve master but it got expensive and hard to find here )otherwise I lost 1 thou of ex valve clearance every 1000km. Our regular petrol is 91 and Crapi don't like it at all ( I have 9.75:1 cr) so I use our super which is 96 and I have set timing at 6 Deg btdc but it still tinkles a bit ( without the Penrite it tinkles a lot), specially with the trailer on behind. BP here sell 98 at some fuel stations (none near me ) and a tank full of that everytime I visit Cromwell and the old slapper hoiks up her skirts and flies home, not so much as extra power but it just runs so much better, no tinkle just seems to run smoother and thats still at 6 Deg btdc, I would use it all the time but I can't get it locally and (of course) it cost more. It loves av gas ...100 Oct and all that yummy lead....nice grey pipe too . In NZ we can buy leaded 100 Oct "Motorsport " fuel but you can only fill containers not your car , and last time I had to provide a few details and sign for it
Hamish
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Interesting answers I might start running on normal unleaded and see how things go and still using the mills stuff . :beer:
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

In my 3.0 Essex I tend to alternate between regular 95 unleaded & Tesco's 98 Ron super. About every other fill up of regular 95 Ron I add a splash of valvemaster plus.

So far it seems to work well. That's with the original non unleaded heads too
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi all, (Jason)

I'm a bit sad here, as I've worked out what mine runs best & worst on and I do have to say it definately runs better on Super Plus with the slightly higher octane.

So best for me is BP Super Plus, it loves that and really gets down the road well, smooth and quick. Second is Shell Super Plus, pretty much nothing in it, but it might be just a slight bit slower on tickover, then the Esso Super Plus, again pretty close but there is a slight tickover, thing!!!!??? (but again this could just be in my head) When I have tried normal Unleaded I have noticed pretty much an immediate difference, lumpier and not the train power I usually have....

I'm running Unleaded, Big Valve Heads at 12' Ignition advance and I do cover quite a bit of milage, with zero Pinking etc.... I do keep the Dissy, Arm and leads checked & cleaned regularly (also oiling the Felt pad under the arm). Then also checking the Mixture with a meter up each exhaust (around 2.8, funny that...) and the timing & valves every Year... It can be stood for 2 weeks when I'm on Holiday and starts straight away on the button everytime!!! I also put a small bottle of Lucas Upper cylinder lub & Injector cleaner in every 3rd or 4th fill up, which I beleive helps keep the fuel system nice & clean... Well you did ask what we do!!! :xd: :xd: :xd: Hope this helps Jason, but its really what ever yours runs best with, with your driving style... All the very best all, cheers,

John...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Cheers John yes mine really does run well on shell super , it was only when nick filled up the other week he said that he used normal unleaded and it got my brain cells working . I run my last Capri on super unleaded that always as you said went well .
My next fill up for the Capri club show May 12th I might try just normal unleaded for the run up there and will let you know how she went when I am there . Looking forward to seeing yours with the work that’s been done mate .
Jason
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Just normal unleaded for me Jason, and car runs great.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes lots of people use just unleaded what seems the norm , also I think the super is £1.28 a litre still cheaper that diesel but normal unleaded must be £1.23
My mpg is around the 30mpg and 34mpg on a good run .
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes lots of people use just unleaded what seems the norm , also I think the super is £1.28 a litre still cheaper that diesel but normal unleaded must be £1.23
My mpg is around the 30mpg and 34mpg on a good run .
Our local Esso was £119.9 for standard unleaded at the start of April. I have seen it gradually creeping up, and yesterday it was £128.9 :shock:

Supermarket fuel from now on.