Sunroof woes

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
rob_scott92
Car(s): 1985 2.0 ford capri laser

Sunroof woes

Post by rob_scott92 »

Hi guys,

Unfortunately ive got dreaded sunroof problems.

The sunroof always operated correctly untill i had the bodywork done last year. The guys that took it out didnt mark anything up and subsequently didnt put it back together properly so now when the roof slides back to its closed position, it doesnt lift up enough at the back to make the seal. Ive attached a couple of photos of this without the seal as i thought this might be holding it off.
[img][IMG]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee ... 171201.jpg[/img] [/img]
[img][IMG]https://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/ee ... 171212.jpg[/img][/img]

Unfortunately taking the car back to the garage that did it is not an option, its obvious they cant be trusted to do the job properly and plus, they messed me around quite a lot so we're not exactly on the best of terms... :evil:

Any help appreciated, i've been through a helpful thread on here showing how to remove/replace the roof. But not much on hows best to adjust. If the sunroof had never worked i wouldnt be bothered, but the fact that it now wont seal properly means i would really like to sort it.

Thanks
Rob
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Re: Sunroof woes

Post by Cosmicbike »

Well if you give it a couple of weeks I might know the answer, as mine is doing the same thing! Initially when moving back to the closed position it sits flush, but a tiny amount of pressure on the rear edge makes it drop, as does shutting the tailgate..I'll be having a fiddle before long, so be really good if someone here knows the answer..
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

These sunroofs are let’s say not a 5 minute job or a battle that is won every time I would recommend hours perhaps days of sweet tears getting Tickover to sort it for you or our Martin at Capri gear as they can do that job in there sleep .
Yes my daughter said please get the sunroof fixed dad so I ask Gus and it was all sorted in less then a hour .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
rob_scott92

Post by rob_scott92 »

It certainly does seem to be a bit of a dark art. Finding the time is a problem but i have had it in and out a fair few times over the last couple of weeks.

I shall soldier on, then if i am ever passing by tickover i will definitely drop in and get them to sort it. :xd:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

The Haynes manual shows the adjustments for the sunroof , have a read up and it should become apparent on how to do it but one thing I can confirm is that if you're using pattern sunroof seals they are shit and won't help at all in trying to make the roof work properly.
rob_scott92

Post by rob_scott92 »

Bit of an update then,

I had a look through the haynes manual and i adjusted the bits at the back in order to raise it. Without the seal on it didnt really seem to make any difference. I put the seal back on and tried again. Martin is right, them seals are naff, makes it very difficult to tilt the sunroof with it on, might just need to be closed for a bit to squash the seal. Either way, ive taken the cappa up to scotland and managed to get there without the sunroof dropping.

Other thing ive noticed, the garage havent put back the link hose on the fuel tank...onlu noticed when i brimmed the tank :evil: