Starter to coil

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jeepman
Car(s): Ford GPW Jeep. Ford Capri 2.0 Ltr Laser

Starter to coil

Post by jeepman »

Hi everyone. My question is this . On the 2.0Ltr Laser does the black and yellow wire from the starter to the coil ( both push on rubber headed plugs ) do just that, go from the starter to the coil, or is there another feed joined to it somewhere in the loom. The coil can't just get it's power from the starter can it ? I want to convert my auto loom to a manual loom with the starter on the opposite side. Thanks.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Starter to coil

Post by stevemarl »

Hi,
i`m guessing that what you`re looking at is the ballast bypass wire: when the starter is operated the wire feeds full battery voltage to the coil (bypassing the ballast resistor) to help starting. The coil`s normal supply, from ballast R, is separate, if that helps?
jeepman

Post by jeepman »

Thanks for that Steve. So, when the starter is cranking it supplies the coil with power, when it stops cranking it stops providing power and the coil has it's own (lower) voltage power from the ignition system to keep the car running. Would that be the case. Also, where does the twin green cable push on rubber plug go ? and what is the small single push on plug lower down for, on a little spur of it's own. Thanks again, Steve.
jeepman

Post by jeepman »

Hi again. I think iv'e sorted everything now. Just trawled through the Q & A's and found some good answers and it all makes sense now. Thanks again, Steve.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Ok that`s good, TBH I can`t remember off the top of my head the wire colours etc....
I do `think` the rubber connector pushes onto the coil negative: one lead going to the points, the other supplies a pulse to the tachometer. I can copy the circuit diagram tomorrow if that`s any help? Although sounds like you`re sorted.
jeepman

Post by jeepman »

Hi Steve, sorry for the delay. Yes, I'm all sorted thanks, until the next time that is !! All the best, Steve.