Fuel Gauge reading empty

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
JayeJulia
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i

Fuel Gauge reading empty

Post by JayeJulia »

Any ideas,, My fuel gauge stopped working and constantly reads empty. I checked the wiring at the sensor and when I short the two wires, the gauge reads full - so I know the wiring is OK. I suspected the sensor but its reading 85 ohms that I thought may be ok.. when adding 5l of fuel the sensor reading went up to 110 ohm that does not seem right.

The sensor was only a few years old from the Capri Club but now I am starting to wonder if its faulty.. Checking with the meter I am reading about 5v on the main sensor wire.

Any ideas - does anyone have the relative resistance levels that I should read on a good sensor??

Many thanks for any ideas..

JJ
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Fuel Gauge reading empty

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

JayeJulia wrote:Any ideas - does anyone have the relative resistance levels that I should read on a good sensor??
Hi,
On Motomobil's Ebay listing for a sender, it states that the resistance is 10-75 Ohms.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-Capri-M ... SwVMJb~t05
I hope that helps.

Andrew.
Bug
Car(s): Some

Post by Bug »

Just because the wiring is ok, doesn't mean the connectors are getting a good connection.
99% of gauge related issues seem, in the past, to have been due to faulty connections on the sender unit.
Try cleaning them and crimping them a bit tighter? They live in a pretty harsh environment.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Bug wrote:Just because the wiring is ok, doesn't mean the connectors are getting a good connection.
99% of gauge related issues seem, in the past, to have been due to faulty connections on the sender unit.
Try cleaning them and crimping them a bit tighter? They live in a pretty harsh environment.
Sounds like a sender fault to me too. I have found they can have a mind of their own :?
JayeJulia
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.8i

Post by JayeJulia »

Thanks guys,, I had cleaned all the contacts with no joy.. Sounds like I need a mortgage for a new sender at £114 Cripes!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

JayeJulia wrote:Thanks guys,, I had cleaned all the contacts with no joy.. Sounds like I need a mortgage for a new sender at £114 Cripes!
You should think yourself lucky, until recently they were not available.

There is a thread on here about reconditioning your own, the person who posted that had success with it, and I think also offered to do other people's too.