Leaking petrol when full tank

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
essexstu
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection 1982

Leaking petrol when full tank

Post by essexstu »

Hi guys

Filled the tank of my Injection the other day and car smelled of petrol. Seems there is a leak and particularly when going round a right hand bend as fuel leaks to passenger side of car.

I'm going to get under the car (with a bright candle obviously) to have a good look. Anything I should be looking for that will be the likely reason for the leak. It's not pouring out but there's enough to see petrol on the tank and create a mighty stink. The more fuel used the less smell so must be something at the top of the tank.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Re: Leaking petrol when full tank

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Not sure about a 2.8 tank but when we refurbed my 3.0 one, after prepping & painting it, it was corroded / pitted around the breather pipe on the top surface of the tank which when filled leaked.

Had to have the tank removed & had it repaired properly
essexstu

Post by essexstu »

Ok cheers, that would make sense. I'll check that area then. I assume the only way to know is to drop the tank down.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

The breather pipe on mine is on the top of the passenger side, you can feel it whilst it fitted to the car, but iy has to come off to be fixed.

All fuel removed & more importantly it has to be completely dry inside & vented free of fumes before being brazed / welded to be repaired properly
essexstu

Post by essexstu »

I see that new tanks can be bought but they are not cheap. Also the tank for the injection is different from other Capri models (it would be wouldnt it). Anyone know the difference? Does one have a return and not the other?
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Could be the sender unit seal.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

+1 seal around the fuel sender is the most likely culprit.

The tanks for the 2.8i effectively had a swirl pot built into them to prevent momentary fuel starvation whilst cornering. (Cars with carburetors dont need this).

CCI are selling new 2.8i tanks and its worth checking the usual vendors for serviceable 2nd hand ones.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote:+1 seal around the fuel sender is the most likely culprit.

CCI are selling new 2.8i tanks and its worth checking the usual vendors for serviceable 2nd hand ones.
Martin (Capri Gear) on here has the tanks, that's where I got mine recently with a new sender unit and seal too.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

If Martin sells you a tank you can be sure it will be excellent.