Automatic loom

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
jeepman
Car(s): Ford GPW Jeep. Ford Capri 2.0 Ltr Laser

Automatic loom

Post by jeepman »

Well, here was i thinking it would be a simple case of re routing ! I'm converting from auto to manual and still using the auto loom. I unwrapped the loom to put the starter wires to the other side of the engine where the starter is on a manual and found that the black spade connector cable ( which i thought just went straight to the ignition switch ) goes to the auto relay first. The red from the relay then goes to a 4 way connection to 4 other red wires which then all go to the main black loom bulkhead plug. My question then is, which one of these reds do i connect the black spade connector from the starter to ? The push on connector from the starter to the coil is is fine. Or, another way to word it could be ' how do i remove the auto start relay and inhibitor '. Hope this makes sense, Steve. P.S.it's probably been covered before but can't seem to find anything
jeepman

Re: Automatic loom

Post by jeepman »

Or do i just join the black going in to the relay to the red going out of it and leave it at that as i think the other 2 small cables to the relay come from the inhibitor which isn't needed.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Easiest is probably to connect the 2 wires which went to the inhibitor switch together so that the relay stays open when it is powered up. Equally you could always extend that pair of wires to a hidden switch to reuse the feature as a simple anti theft device
jeepman

Post by jeepman »

Now that's a good idea ! But would that mean leaving the relay visible ? To hide it could i join the two power wires ( in and out ) within the loom and then re-route the two smaller wires to a hidden switch ?
jeepman

Post by jeepman »

I just thought ,that wouldnt work would it because joining the two small wires is to activate the relay in the first place ! To lose the relay entirely ( which is what I want to do ) is joining the in/out wires to the relay the way to go and just tape off the other two.