Dash filler

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Bobpool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1986 2.0 Laser
Ford Probe 2.5 V6

Dash filler

Post by Bobpool »

I've removed the Dash from my Capri and it has two long cracks down it. Question is what do I fill them with ? I do have the leather cover to go over it once it has been filled.Thank you for your help.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Re: Dash filler

Post by Brooksy »

Hi
Before I replaced mine, I checked out a few YouTube videos on this topic. There are also some cheap dash "repair kits" available via online auction sites but not sure on the quality.
Some kits contain the filler that's designed to withstand flexing and vibration plus different "grain" stamps (to try and replicate the dash grain).
Other than that there are covers or try and source a better second hand one but these are scarce and can be pricey.
Good luck.
Nige Image
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I used a flexible filler that was sold for dah and plastic bumper repairs. it worked really well.

As a trial I sprayed the dash with a couple of coats of dark grey Halfords flexible trim paint which brought it up well. Because I had applied quite a bit of filler though around the damaged speaker holes in addition to the cracks I felt the difference in texture between the rough textured dash and the smooth repaired areas was a bit too evident for my liking.
I'd already by now bought a leather cover so fitted this (a bit of a task).

If it had just have been a couple of cracks I'd have probably given it a 3rd coat of paint and not bothered about the leather thing.
Bobpool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 1986 2.0 Laser
Ford Probe 2.5 V6

Post by Bobpool »

I’ve purchased a plastic filler for the repair.Thank you.