Classic ford magazine

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Classic ford magazine

Post by Jasonmarie »

Spotted this in this months classic ford magazine also mention to our Steve’s book .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Re: Classic ford magazine

Post by Pas28i »

Great design effort, very talented!

Would be an interesting competition for everyone to show their ideas.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

The problem is, the ethos, mindset and nounce which the Capri had, and which the designers gave it, just does not apply today.

It was the car for the everyman to have something special, a bit different, an image to show he thinks differently, to take risks, have fun, the chance for the average guy to be affordably flash.

The car stood apart in the crowd. People were impressed, and still are as they mouth 'Ford Capri!' and point as we drive past them. That doesn't even happen to modern day Ferrari drivers, so no new Capri will have what the legend still has.

Just like when your favourite group makes a comeback after years away and there's something missing, or they make a big movie version of your favourite classic TV show and it's not as good - I'd rather they just left it alone.
Mr B
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Four 3 litre Capri's and 2 Mark 1 GXL's

Post by Mr B »

pbar wrote:The problem is, the ethos, mindset and nounce which the Capri had, and which the designers gave it, just does not apply today.

It was the car for the everyman to have something special, a bit different, an image to show he thinks differently, to take risks, have fun, the chance for the average guy to be affordably flash.

The car stood apart in the crowd. People were impressed, and still are as they mouth 'Ford Capri!' and point as we drive past them. That doesn't even happen to modern day Ferrari drivers, so no new Capri will have what the legend still has.

Just like when your favourite group makes a comeback after years away and there's something missing, or they make a big movie version of your favourite classic TV show and it's not as good - I'd rather they just left it alone.
Totally agree with you, I use my Capri everyday for work and the amount of look's she gets considering she is a bit tatty are unreal, it does not matter what brand new car's are near by its my Capri that gets the look's and comments like 'now that's a proper car' or 'I knew she was 3 litre she sounds full of vengeance' those comments make it all worth it and I really don't think Ford will ever recreate that kind of car again.
If an honest man is wrong and after demonstrating that he is wrong he either stops being wrong or stops being honest
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Yep agree. It's of its time and too much time has passed to force an evolution.

Nice feature on a Fiesta 1300S this month.
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

It looked like a generic modern car to me but hey, ho. Autocar had a more spirited go over Xmas. The well-known journalist there, Steve Cropley saw a Capri as a slinky all-active SUV-coupe. I exchanged a few emails with him over it later and said that I think, as some said here, made drivers feel special - indeed the tagline of The Car You Always Promised yourself was perfect.

Bonus points then for those that have the book what the first draft of that tagline was?....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Steve Saxty wrote:Bonus points then for those that have the book what the first draft of that tagline was?....
I think it's the not quite as catchy "The kind of car you'd always promised yourself if you could afford it". :D

Andrew.
Steve Saxty
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri author, ex Ford designer and two times Tickford owner.

Post by Steve Saxty »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Steve Saxty wrote:Bonus points then for those that have the book what the first draft of that tagline was?....
I think it's the not quite as catchy "The kind of car you'd always promised yourself if you could afford it". :D

Andrew.
Give that man a prize for having trudged through the book! The original copywriter lives near me and, for those that have the book, you must love that pic of the GBX-windowed prototype. He's got his parents and flatmate standing in for Jackie Stewart and his parents in the test ad. That shot had never been seen before and so I was amazed when he dug it out.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Mr B wrote:
pbar wrote:The problem is, the ethos, mindset and nounce which the Capri had, and which the designers gave it, just does not apply today.

Totally agree with you, I use my Capri everyday for work and the amount of look's she gets considering she is a bit tatty are unreal, it does not matter what brand new car's are near by its my Capri that gets the look's and comments like 'now that's a proper car' or 'I knew she was 3 litre she sounds full of vengeance' those comments make it all worth it and I really don't think Ford will ever recreate that kind of car again.
:agree: Always nice when your car gets a compliment.
Most recently "That's gorgeous" from the woman behind the counter in the Esso petrol station :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

What she was eating a Grinstead pasty :lol: ?

Sorry could not help that one Andy
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:What she was eating a Grinstead pasty :lol: ?

Sorry could not help that one Andy
:poke: :wave:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

andyd wrote: Most recently "That's gorgeous" from the woman behind the counter in the Esso petrol station :)
What was the other person counting Andy ?? :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...