Pinto Without Viscous Fan?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Pinto Without Viscous Fan?

Post by Cosmicbike »

In the process of stripping down the somewhat modified pinto 1600 lump from my recent purchase in an effort to solve the smoke, I noticed that the cooling fan is bolted directly to the water pump shaft, so no viscous coupling. Is this a normal thing? Strikes me as OK for the Summer, but less good for the Winter!
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Re: Pinto Without Viscous Fan?

Post by 340truck »

Think it's an age thing....older pinto's didn't have a viscous fan. If overheating or overcooling has not been a problem then stick to "if it ain't broke don't fix it" unless you are desperate for the 1or 2 extra horses (or probably nearer 1/2 a horse if any at all) the viscous will release.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Solidly fixed fans were the norm for many years on Pinto engines. Anyone tells you something different just put it down to a viscous rumour. :banghead:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Not_Anumber wrote:Solidly fixed fans were the norm for many years on Pinto engines. Anyone tells you something different just put it down to a viscous rumour. :banghead:
:lol: :applaud:
Now that was a good pinto joke .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its a very old joke, you know the type that goes round and round.

Time for me to belt up and cool off now.
Cosmicbike
Car(s): Ford Capri 1.6 Laser Resto Project

Post by Cosmicbike »

Not_Anumber wrote:Solidly fixed fans were the norm for many years on Pinto engines. Anyone tells you something different just put it down to a viscous rumour. :banghead:
I'll get your coat ;)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Some of you might remember when i changed my water pump about 5yrs back a few weeks before the 45th at Brooklands, and at the time I asked the very same question as my fan bolts directly onto the pump too and I was expecting to see the viscous. To this very day I have thankfully had no issues at all with this set up. The funny thing is I 'presumed' beforehand without checking and bought myself a lovely new viscous spanner only to find I did not need it. Still to this day it sits on my garage shelf in an unused condition...just in case I ever need it :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
2litreScapri
Car(s): 1983 2.0S - Daily Driver

Post by 2litreScapri »

You got me needing to check at some point, I thought mine always had a viscous coupling because I can stop my fan with my hand when the engine is running, but I have an older Pinto . My water pump has been changed during my engine rebuild so maybe they got a late Pinto one.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Post by Not_Anumber »

Either that or you have a very strong hand. :headscratch:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Imagine if you would have tried the hand thing and it didn't have that viscous coupling, goodness me :doh:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

2litreScapri wrote:I can stop my fan with my hand when the engine is running
pbar wrote:Imagine if you would have tried the hand thing and it didn't have that viscous coupling, goodness me :doh:
:shock: Its ok Paul, Kris does alot of mixing on his decks at home so he is used to playing with things that spin with his hands :lol: :lol: :lol:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...