speed limiters

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

speed limiters

Post by stevemarl »

Not sure about this, my head says I suppose it will save lives (?), my heart says Big Brother?
https://www.aol.co.uk/news/2019/03/26/n ... id=webmail

Also, once they`ve established a fleet of vehicles that are guided, limited, and effectively unable to crash , surely allowing continued use of antiquated vehicles without ABS, radar, IR cameras etc doesn`t make sense? The next step will be to remove `hazardous` old vehicles from roads: old cars allowed - but only to go to shows and events, if pre-booked?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: speed limiters

Post by Jasonmarie »

I do think this is a great idea as you say if it saves just one life then that’s a bonus , also if the system has a fault like this road it’s ok to drive at 60MPH but in real it’s a 30mph . If they can Hack the NHS computers then they can hack the system easy .

Lorry’s and work vans yes there should be on some kind of Limit , but how many lorry’s pass you at over 70mh in the 3rd lane now . And on the back it says limited to 60MPH .

There be a black box on eBay for £10 on plug this in and you can drive the car faster then 70mph .

What they do bloody need is something to stop people from using there phones at the wheel , if in the Capri my Tom Tom works as a speaker for incoming calls .

:banghead: and now back to some yoga and Buddhist music with a Incense stick .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Plus side of this is at least you can outrun the rozzers in their limited cars! :lol:

I think it's a good idea from a safety point of view but does pose the question of what they expect to happen with older cars in the future...
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

D366Y wrote:Plus side of this is at least you can outrun the rozzers in their limited cars! :lol:

I think it's a good idea from a safety point of view but does pose the question of what they expect to happen with older cars in the future...
I think you can safely bet that the coppers' cars won't be limited.

I thought we were leaving the EU to get away from them imposing laws on us.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

stevemarl wrote:Also, once they`ve established a fleet of vehicles that are guided, limited, and effectively unable to crash , surely allowing continued use of antiquated vehicles without ABS, radar, IR cameras etc doesn`t make sense? The next step will be to remove `hazardous` old vehicles from roads: old cars allowed - but only to go to shows and events, if pre-booked?
That was one of my thoughts too but given they are already relaxing MOT rules for older cars would they then introduce legislation to ban them? My head says it would have to be a gradual process because there are too many 'old' cars on the road but it does have the potential to make older cars suddenly more desirable. Personally I think all this potentially introduces an element of complacency in to driving as there will be less and less that you need to think about.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Bad idea for me. It doesn't stop killing it starts it. Killing driving for one. Killing independence for another. Killing Joy.

Police state. Don't get me wrong, in principle in an idealistic world it sounds good but if we really wanted to save innocent lives then there other ways the the EU could contribute to saving lives. Starting with the axing of liberalism and closing boarders.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote: I thought we were leaving the EU to get away from them imposing laws on us.
I think even if we leave we have to abide by their rules and anything they bring down to be able to stay in the EEA which apparently we want - who knows anymore!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

There are some well considered views expressed in the previous posts, this thread makes an interesting read.
Hopefully older cars will continue to be permitted to be driven on the roads, although I wouldn't be surprised if is a requirement that a speed limiter is retro fitted.
My main concern is that with one area of control of the vehicle taken away from the driver, will some people mentally switch off and not concentrate on what they are doing?

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: My main concern is that with one area of control of the vehicle taken away from the driver, will some people mentally switch off and not concentrate on what they are doing?

Andrew.
I thought that was happening already :headscratch: Coffee cup, mobile phone and then drive, it's all about priorities!!
No real need to concentrate when wrapped up in airbag luxury, as well protected if an accident occurs.

As many drivers can't find their indicator stalk, a better device would be a car that indicates when the driver thinks about turning.
Or if the car picks up a mobile phone signal it won't start until phone is switched off....Can't be that hard with todays technology.

Someone sooner or later will come up with a device that will over ride these featues anyway.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

andyd wrote: As many drivers can't find their indicator stalk, a better device would be a car that indicates when the driver thinks about turning.
Or if the car picks up a mobile phone signal it won't start until phone is switched off....Can't be that hard with todays technology.

Someone sooner or later will come up with a device that will over ride these featues anyway.
I think that's actually not a bad idea - a signal jammer built into the car so you can't get incoming calls/texts while you drive
Apparently some guy in the states fitted one to his car so while he drove around people's phone wouldn't work and his logic was that they would therefore concentrate on driving - the US government fined him $50k for doing it though :lol:
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi all,

Terrible idea!!! How often does the throttle get you out of a sticky situation that braking would have put you into, this is taking control of the car away from the driver which is a bad thing. How many people here use their cruise control in road works on the motorways, so you don’t speed creep and end up getting a ticket and if you do, you know how mind numbing this is and it’s very easy to close your eyes for a bit. This is doing this to all long journeys, crazy!!! I drive a truck from time to time, a legal uk truck which is limited to 56mph, all you do is get in, put your foot to the floor and, boaring, very easy to switch off completely.

You want safer driving, more coppers on patrol stopping all the unlicenced drivers, get them off the roads, never had a lesson in their lives!!!

Anyway, having read into this a bit more, thank God this system can be switched on or off as the driver wants. Even when switch on, a firm push on the throttle will also override this briefly for safer overtaking.... So it is another safety system you choose if you want to have it active. But, it is a step closer to it becoming mandatory to have it active all the time.... I did only find this mentioned in one place, so fingers crossed it’s true, happy motoring everyone... :lowrider: :lowrider: :lowrider: :lowrider:

Cheers for now,

John...
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

[quote="Taff50ish"]Hi all,

, thank God this system can be switched on or off as the driver wants.

As far as I understood it, from the tone of what I`d read, this was supposedly a fixed mandatory limit: the fact is you can opt to put speed limits on yourself now, so unless it IS mandatory it`s really a non-story. But then again that wouldn`t be the first time.... :xd:
The idea of a temporary over-ride is also interesting - what determines this? What happens if you`re half way past the artic and the computer decides you`ve had enough boost?

The thing that troubles me about all this is..... it`s an indefinable `human` thing, really hard to pinpoint or quantify, a need to be able to make decisions and determine one`s own path? I have no problem for eg with CCTV, as far as I`m concerned I don`t do anything nefarious and would NEVER be caught `in the act`: more likely they would increase my safety from muggings etc. So, why not extend that to chipping the population? Have everybody chipped so they can be tracked at all times: if there`s a crime, anyone possibly involved would be identifiable.
(Chip would need to be inserted into the brainstem so couldn`t be removed with a hot razor blade.....) Crime would become almost impossible, that`s unquestionably a good thing. BUT would most people accept that they could be tracked all the time, their movements followed 24/7? Logically it`s a no-brainer.... but there`s something about being human that would find that unacceptable. To me it`s another step to removing the randomness of humanity, the things which make us able to be great and creative. not just a flock of consumers to gobble up the latest i-phones and Sky channels.
Whatever happened to the hippy dream....
Steve
aikmanmosquito
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, a few other cars that aren't Capris

Post by aikmanmosquito »

This is the worst idea possible! Yes there are those shouting about saving lives, but limiting cars to set speed limits isn't the answer! banning bad drivers from the roads is!! People think driving is a God given right, but it isn't! SO many people don't deserve to be on the road!! This is step one on the road to total control by the authorities, next they'll have access to the car and prevent it from starting on set days due to emissions etc, and don't get me started on electric cars!! There's too many problems concerning them to list! Having travelled in Europe extensively, then yes, the days of your classic are limited, the government will bring an all out ban on them! It's not as far away as you think!
Europe is trying to banish all older cars off the road and they're slowly doing so by bringing out more and more unfair and nonsensical rules into the mot that are forcing good usable cars off the road! I have three classics, so speak from your side of the fence, but trust me, Big Brother is here and due to the majority of the people in this country being so full of apathy, then the government have and will continue to do as they please and alter our lives beyond all recognition. As Jeremy Clarkson said at the end of one TopGear programme, the days of good, fun driving are coming to and end!!