3.0 Electric fan

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

3.0 Electric fan

Post by D366Y »

Afternoon all!

Just wondering about whether an electric fan was standard fitment (I would guess the one I have isn't) and whether it's really needed and/or the best way to wire it in if I keep it?

I spent most of Saturday pulling out a mess of wires behind the dash! Aftermarket alarm wired into the indicator loom, as well as the aftermarket air horn also aftermarket radio which has a run off the ignition into an old electrician's joining box thingy which then also has another wire running out to go off to the electric fan - nightmare!

Need to find a better way to get a new radio in place and sort out a permanent live and ignition live - It seems that someone has added in a later loom because there are speaker wires for four speakers as well as a later radio type of wiring but I can't get a reading off a multi-meter for either the red wire or red/yellow wire that is there...

Help please?!

Thanks
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: 3.0 Electric fan

Post by Paul G »

Is that Spaghetti Carbonara or Spaghetti hoops in there? My Laser was bad with two aftermarket alarms DIY wired in there but that takes it to a new level!

Seriously Danny I would, with the help of wiring diagrams, remove the lot and start again. Most of the Ford wiring is wrapped in loom tape except obviously where it comes out to connect to anything and you may well have to undo some of this tape to find out where people have wired in this crap. I'm no electrician to put it mildly but just working carefully away at it I got rid of the crap and could then start again with what i wanted.

Don't worry about speaker wires, air horns or electric fans, the 3.0S would have had none of these when it was new and you can properly wire these things in, using relays, at a later date if you want them.

The radio feed wire for ignition live is a yellow wire which comes out of the ignition switch, the earth was a braided wire going to the bulkhead and the original speaker was in the dashboard. People often take a permanent live off the feed for the clock or the cigarette lighter.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Paul G wrote:Is that Spaghetti Carbonara or Spaghetti hoops in there? My Laser was bad with two aftermarket alarms DIY wired in there but that takes it to a new level!

Seriously Danny I would, with the help of wiring diagrams, remove the lot and start again. Most of the Ford wiring is wrapped in loom tape except obviously where it comes out to connect to anything and you may well have to undo some of this tape to find out where people have wired in this crap. I'm no electrician to put it mildly but just working carefully away at it I got rid of the crap and could then start again with what i wanted.

Don't worry about speaker wires, air horns or electric fans, the 3.0S would have had none of these when it was new and you can properly wire these things in, using relays, at a later date if you want them.

The radio feed wire for ignition live is a yellow wire which comes out of the ignition switch, the earth was a braided wire going to the bulkhead and the original speaker was in the dashboard. People often take a permanent live off the feed for the clock or the cigarette lighter.
Tell me about it!

I managed to get the alarm off and most of the radio out - what had largely happened is someone found the nearest live wire in vaguely the right area of where they were fitting something (also some flashing LED strobe lights!) and just cut into the loom and tacked it on - clever idea when you're being super lazy but a ball ache when I've got to fix it :lol: I have now managed to largely get it all off and out now, but whoever wired the radio in decided it would be a good idea to take the original live feed from the ignition, cut in a new wire, run that to the radio, and at the same time botch clip another wire to it and run that to the fan on/off switch on the dash and then onto the fan at the front - what a pain in my balls!!

Thanks for your guidance on the wire colours - will have to look again when I next feel up to it :crying:

Main thing I need to do is start taking the engine out to start the front end repairs but will be a big job and seems so daunting!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Very disappointed to read you are removing the wiring to the LED strobe lights, or did I misunderstand?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Noel wrote:Very disappointed to read you are removing the wiring to the LED strobe lights, or did I misunderstand?
:lol: they have come out for now - to be honest only a few of the lights on the strip actually worked!

There were two main sets, one pointing into the footwell from underneath the glove box, and another tucked under the steering column pointing into the footwell. Christ knows what for and I couldn't figure out what they were there for or wired into, but there was a switch someone has cut into the dash labelled "Fuck knows" so quite likely that :doh:

Might put something back in but need to sort out the important wiring first :lol: