Replacement dash

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

Replacement dash

Post by Brooksy »

Has anyone purchased/fitted the replacement dash top (for a late model) available from the Capri Club?
I'm considering a replacement for mine and I'm just curious as to whether anyone has seen/bought/fitted one? I know that it fits on the existing metal frame, GRP material, speaker holes need drilling etc but would appreciate any comments re quality/ease if fitment etc. Thanks.
Last edited by Brooksy on Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Capri Club Dash Top

Post by Jasonmarie »

There’s a great story from Andrew on here it’s supposed to be a nightmare to do .

Here’s the link viewtopic.php?f=17&t=47380&p=311243&hil ... op#p311243
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

:cool: cheers Jason. Sounds like it's one of those :cigar: jobs then!
Nige Image
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nige,
As Jason has pointed out, I unsuccessfully attempted to fix a CCI repro dash to a frame.
However, don't let my story put you off....
In my opinion, the CCI dashtop is worth considering, and once fitted you'd be hard pushed to tell the difference between the reproduction and standard items. Also, worrying about a cracked dashtop will be a thing of the past. You can even justify the cost of £165 by offsetting the saving of not having to buy a £40 dash cover.
Here is "my" attempt, as fitted to Mark's (now Lee's) 280. It's a credit to Mark's handiwork! 8-)

Obviously, to complete the project you will need a donor dashboard frame (poor condition dashes aren't too hard to get hold of) and tons of patience..... :D Be aware that it isn't easy, even the CCI website states that it "needs major work to fit". As I said though, a good standard of fit can be achieved with a little fettling.

I hope that helps, and please keep us updated with what you decide to do.

Andrew.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Thanks for your reply Andrew. Should have searched the topic beforehand but I'll blame that on being a bit tired after a busy night shift followed by a short sleep!

Just been reading through your original post and also the subsequent members posts! (respect to you all for undertaking such a task).

Presently, I have all of my dash out along with the instruments/fascia/steering wheel/heater blower/stereo cassette. As you said in your original post, I found it easier to drop the column before removing the instruments fascia.

Whilst my dash is ok, it's cracked in the area of the speaker holes and it's had localised repairs in the past. I'm still considering the CCI repro dash/possible recover/better original replacement. Watch this space.

Nige Image
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nige,
Having had time to reflect on the failed CCI dash project, I think I would definitely have another attempt at it if I ever needed to.
I would prefer to locate a mint original if possible, although they are scarce now and therefore highly sought after.The CCI repro would definitely be my second choice as a replacement to a damaged dash, and is much more aesthetically pleasing than those horrid leather covers that are sold on Ebay.

If the cracks in your dash aren't too bad it may be possible to repair some of them. Nick has successfully repaired some cracks he had in his and resprayed the whole dash in Halfords flexible vinyl paint, the finished job is superb. There's a thread in the projects section somewhere detailing the work, however, I can't seem to find it at the moment.
Having said that, the damage around the speaker holes on your dash looks like it might be difficult to repair to a satisfactory standard.

Andrew.
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Update.

I've managed to buy a decent 2nd hand dash and it reasonably local too!

Apparently, it has been wrapped up and storage for some time, which has no doubt helped it survive as well as it has. There was a tiny narrow split where the two sides of the dash join. The frame is also in very good condition but I've added a thin piece of hardboard to the underside of the perforated/holes section, to help reinforce it.

A quick visit my local screwfix and £3.49 later, I have some dark grey sealant. A thorough but gentle clean of the dash and careful application of the sealant and the dash is ready to be installed (tomorrow all being well).

Before
After
Nige Image
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Looks good Nige, and a good find especially fairly local too :cheers:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Cheers Andy. Yep struck lucky there really. I didn't want to risk bidding/buying one further afield, only to have it damaged in the post/courier. Not cheap mind but no surprises there eh!

Glad toy managed to get your Capri out and running in the sunshine! :cool:

Will PM you re a cuppa/catch up next Tues afternoon? :cheers:
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Here's the little hardboard reinforcement that I carefully glued under the speaker holes.
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Brooksy wrote:Here's the little hardboard reinforcement that I carefully glued under the speaker holes.
All they are not speaker holes they are for the ford stereo to breath as it gets really hot . If you don’t use the headunit that’s fine but it really builds up heat . I do belive that’s why they go there first because the heat is coming from both sides .

Sorry to be a pain but thinking you could re drill the holes so air can pass though :beer:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Jasonmarie wrote:
Brooksy wrote:Here's the little hardboard reinforcement that I carefully glued under the speaker holes.
All they are not speaker holes they are for the ford stereo to breath as it gets really hot . If you don’t use the headunit that’s fine but it really builds up heat . I do belive that’s why they go there first because the heat is coming from both sides .

Sorry to be a pain but thinking you could re drill the holes so air can pass though :beer:
Thanks Jason and you're not a pain! Good to know before I do ahead and install and for future reference!

Now where's my drill :cheers:
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

It is a bad design really as I was quite shocked when I removed my old headunit from my old Capri back in the early 90s as it was so hot , the guy who installed my new unit said that they got so hot . Like old radios and TVs in the day when they would be so hot . I had my lastest radio and thought Christ there was something wrong due to the heat it gave off also the heater blows hot air up there what does not help .
Looks like you got a good 2nd dash what as Andy said is rare . There’s only Steve’s dash on here I have seen that looks new .
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Brooksy wrote:
Will PM you re a cuppa/catch up next Tues afternoon? :cheers:
:wave:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

I've altered the design so that now there's just a narrow support that covers the section between the holes. It's not blocking any of the holes underneath now.

I've put most of it back together today and just have the glove box to put back. I think my back has had enough for today! :nopity: (not as flexible as I was 20+ yrs ago).

Last edited by Brooksy on Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Looking good , hope to catch up with your fine laser soon and see the dash .....
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

Jasonmarie wrote:Looking good , hope to catch up with your fine laser soon and see the dash .....
:cheers: :wave:
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Re: Replacement dash

Post by Brooksy »

Finished installing the glovebox, lower mid/drivers side trim, steering column shroud and the fragile black plastic pedal assembly trim.

Thankfully, everything has gone back together as it should although the heated rear window wasn't working/amber switch light not showing when on. :doh: After checking the bulb/connection/wires, the culprit turned out to be the fuse on the relay. All sorted now.

:drama:

Nige Image