Ignition Ballast resistor - Cologne V6

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
STEVEW
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.3S
Project

Ignition Ballast resistor - Cologne V6

Post by STEVEW »

Hello everyone,

I’m a recent member to the forum and I have a query about the electrical circuit of the coil.
According to the, “Principal of Operation” in the Ford Capri workshop manual (re-print),
‘Under normal operating conditions the 12v feed to the coil is reduced by a ballast resistor wire to 6v.
During starting however, the ballast resistor wire is by-passed allowing full battery voltage to be fed to the coil.’
There are three small diagrams describing how the three phases of the system works: ignition “off” / ignition “start” / ignition “on” [run].
These diagrams indicate there are two feed cables to coil terminal "15" (+), one feeds 12v directly from the starter solenoid: the other feeds 6v via the ignition switch and the ballast resistor.

The car is a 2.3S with a Cologne V6 engine, which has a Bosch coil and, what looks like, an external Beru ballast resistor, which has the Ford logo on it. Everything looks standard except the silicon spark plug leads.
My problem is, this car has only one feed cable to coil terminal "15" and that’s through the ballast resistor, which suggests to me the system is running continually on 6v.
Does anyone else have a car with a system like this?
And, does anyone know how it works?

Thanks in advance.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Ignition Ballast resistor - Cologne V6

Post by Mc Tool »

Got a volt meter? Check it out and see what it's actually doing. Normally the low voltage feed from the ignition switch would be a length of resistance wire rather than an actual ballast resistor , makes me think some one has had a fiddle. Is the ballast right at the coil, if not it may be that the 12v feed and the low voltage(should be more like 8-9volts ) join up some place else (they run in parallel ) and then to the coil ,this is a ford trick . Some circuit diagrams are schematic (means they are technically correct but the joins ect might not actually be.where the diagram shows them ) I have seen in the past where someone ,unable to find the ballast coz they were looking for an actual resistor not a bit of wire , had fitted a resistor as well as the wire and the coil was only getting (approx) 4v to run and 8v to start. See what it's actually doing....might be ok
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello McTool,
Thanks for the reply.

As you say, I will check the difference in voltage across the coil during starting and running. However, I can’t do this yet as the exhaust manifolds are off – that’s another story!

I don’t think anyone has changed anything from original. The car was built in October 1982, probably for the German market and the ballast resistor looks like a “genuine” Ford (Beru) part. So I think at some time during production they changed the system.

I’m beginning to wonder if the “wire-like”
ballast has a fixed resistance thus the need of the second cable supplying 12v directly to the coil for starting and the ballast resistor I have is variable hence, no second cable.

Someone gave me a contact phone number for Bosch Germany so I may have more info next week.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

The "wire" resistor is a fixed resistance . On my crapi the Res wire comes from the ignition switch to the coil ,it's not the whole length just a section in the middle of a normal copper wire ,the 12v from the starter joins this Res wire inside the harness by the left inner guard , and goes to the coil from there. Do the 2 wires on your ballast disappear into the harness , or can you see one go directly to the coil.
Thing is with schematic diagrams is that they will show how things are connected electrically but they often don't show where the actual physical connection is ( this can be a real pain in the arse if you don't realise ) ie , your coil has only one wire going to it, where in actual fact there is 1 wire from the ignition switch pokes out of the harness and goes to one end of the ballast ,the wire from other end of ballast goes back into the harness ,joins up to the wire from the starter inside the harness and then goes along inside the harness for a bit and then pokes back out of the harness at a different place and goes to the coil+ , so what you see is 2 wires comming out of the harness with a ballast on them and somewhere else 1 wire comming out of the harness going to the coil+ ( phew ) once you have go that sorted in your head try to figure where the feed from the coil - for the tachometer comes from :xd: coz that splits off inside the harness too , not at the coil like the diagram shows .Being proficient with a multimeter really helps figure things out.
Bod9084
Car(s): I have got a 1981 3000s and I have just got my self
A 1987 2.8i thay are both red
I had my first capri when I was 17" it was a 3000GTXLR
I have had a lot of fast fords vans all ways put bigger engine in
I also have had motor bikes I have a 1200 Suzuki bandit

Post by Bod9084 »

Hi yes it’s about 4foot long and is looped into the loom
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Hello Mctool and Bod9084,

Thanks for your input.
I’ve been bouncing round different ideas with my brain cell.

Consequently, it has dawned on me that this " Ford resistor", connected onto the coil power supply terminal "15" and mounted on the coil clamp screw, could be an original Ford radio surpressor manufactured by Beru.
(A quick google of, "Ford radio surpressor" and bingo! A picture of a similar item which was from a Ford Taunus was pictured.)

As, on this 2.3S, it is connected into the LT ignition circuit with Ford 90°connectors I assume the car was supplied with a radio from new or at least fitted at a Ford dealer.

All this indicates that the actual ballast resistor is, like other Capri models, lurking in the loom!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Ah , I did wonder about that, good that you have it sussed :)
Bod9084
Car(s): I have got a 1981 3000s and I have just got my self
A 1987 2.8i thay are both red
I had my first capri when I was 17" it was a 3000GTXLR
I have had a lot of fast fords vans all ways put bigger engine in
I also have had motor bikes I have a 1200 Suzuki bandit

Post by Bod9084 »

I have got to look for a loom for some one I think I have one of the leads you nee I’ll try to find it
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

"As you say, I will check the difference in voltage across the coil during starting and running "

You dont actually need the car running to check this, just check the voltage with the key first in the ignition position and then held in the starting position. Unplug the small lead from the starter if you dont want the starter actually turning .
STEVEW
Project

Post by STEVEW »

Thanks for the advice, "Not_Anumber".