Auto 'box positioning wrong?

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Auto 'box positioning wrong?

Post by D366Y »

More auto problems today!! :cry:

Just had the engine basically rebuilt with more or less all new parts, driving it back I pulled over as thought the gearstick wasn't in the right place so pulled over to check... when in park it's fine, but when I move the lever to R nothing changes and there is no pull, move to N and it goes into R, into D and it's into neutral, and down to 2 and I'm guessing I'm finally into drive??

I figured this surely isn't just a case of just topping up the ATF...??

As always thanks for your help!!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Re: Auto 'box positioning wrong?

Post by Mc Tool »

Nah , sounds like someone either didn't adjust the shifter linkage correctly , or did but didn't do up the locknut. Was it like this when you 1st picked up the car after repair or did it show up some time later ? Either way you should take it back to the repairer asap, probly no biggie but it needs sorted :)
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

:agree: Take it back and get them to adjust the gear change linkage as Mr Mctool says. Don't know why they should have touched it unless they pulled the box out with the engine or they let the box hang on the linkage and stretched it all.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Cheers guys for the help - what a ballache!!

It was like it as soon as I got in the car from picking it up so will call them tomorrow and try and sort it, not sure if the box came out as well as the engine to be honest... I was hoping it was just gonna be a quick easy fix rather than taking it back to them!

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Well yeah ,depends on your skill level as to weather you think it quick and easy or not. I think it should be a doddle, but you would have to get well under the car so there's jack's and blocks involved , and basically adjust the linkage......thing is , you shouldn't have to do it and I think it's a poor show that the car left the shop like that ,they obviously didn't road test it after the repair. If that was me and I wanted to be a bit anal I would get under the car and have a butchers to see if the linkage is loose or bent (as mentioned by Paul G) (if it's loose I'd probly just fix it and have a moan at them) if it's bent or damaged I'd take it back ,say nowt and see what bullshit they hand you after fixing it . :drive:
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
D366Y
Donator
Donator
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Post by D366Y »

Mc Tool wrote:Well yeah ,depends on your skill level as to weather you think it quick and easy or not. I think it should be a doddle, but you would have to get well under the car so there's jack's and blocks involved , and basically adjust the linkage......thing is , you shouldn't have to do it and I think it's a poor show that the car left the shop like that ,they obviously didn't road test it after the repair. If that was me and I wanted to be a bit anal I would get under the car and have a butchers to see if the linkage is loose or bent (as mentioned by Paul G) (if it's loose I'd probly just fix it and have a moan at them) if it's bent or damaged I'd take it back ,say nowt and see what bullshit they hand you after fixing it . :drive:
Haha good point! I've spoken to them this morning, they said they'll adjust it if I drop the car in again so need to sort getting it back there around work!

I'd be tempted to have a butchers if it was a guaranteed easy 2minute job but otherwise I completely agree I shouldn't have to do it! Apparently they did test drive it and knew it drove lovely but obviously didn't care enough to check the gear positioning...