Gaz shocks

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Gaz shocks

Post by Mc Tool »

Does anyone have any experience with Gaz adjustable shocks on their Capri ? I bought some GAI 4130 strut inserts for the front end of my Capri and I have a query about the adjustor . I bought these of Burton's ( along with 3 grands worth of stuff for Capri ) and when they arrived it was immediately apparent that someone had at least tried to disassemble them as the apex on the flats of the large nut/seal assy were rounded off,after a bit of communication with Burton's who refused to acknowledge the damage to the nuts despite being supplied with good detailed pix clearly showing the damage invited me to send them back at my expense ,and said that if they thought they were ok ,would not return them unless I paid for that too.
The main issue is that the blurb claimed there was 36 position adjustability where as mine are stiff ( so much so that the supplied plastic knob is only just up to the task of turning the adjuster ) and have no click/positions . It doesn actually say that there are "click" positions but one would assume there being 36 positions you would be able to feel them. When I asked Burton's about this I was told that he (the person I was in email contact with) didn't know and couldn't find out , he then referred me to Ralley Design and said I should ask them ( who had nothing what so ever with this dilemma ). Any how ,does anyone out there have any experience with these strut inserts , do they have detectable click positions or is the stiff
positionless adjustment normal. For what it's worth I cannot detect any difference from one end of the adjustment to the other.
I have an arsey feeling that someone has taken advantage of the fact that I'm on the other side of the world and sent me the duff ones, and the fact that Burton's were so indifferent only backs that up. Anyone able to put my mind at ease or confirm my fears?
Thanks
Hamish
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: Gaz shocks

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Mc Tool wrote:The main issue is that the blurb claimed there was 36 position adjustability where as mine are stiff ( so much so that the supplied plastic knob is only just up to the task of turning the adjuster ) and have no click/positions . It doesn actually say that there are "click" positions but one would assume there being 36 positions you would be able to feel them. When I asked Burton's about this I was told that he (the person I was in email contact with) didn't know and couldn't find out , he then referred me to Ralley Design and said I should ask them ( who had nothing what so ever with this dilemma ). Any how ,does anyone out there have any experience with these strut inserts , do they have detectable click positions or is the stiff
positionless adjustment normal. For what it's worth I cannot detect any difference from one end of the adjustment to the other.
Hi Hamish, sorry to hear your problem fella and the very poor customer service from Burtons :(

I have had no experience with adjustable Gaz shocks but am in total agreement with you that surely you would have the 36 'settings' confirmed by a click of some kind. Just done a bit of reading up and found this might be helpful ?? Go down to step 11 which clearly says the multi point adustment is via every clockwise CLICK of the adjuster knob. How else are you supposed to adjust the different settings without a click or similar to denote the different heights so you can duplicate it on the other side. Does sound like you unfortunately may have duff ones as you say especially as you can see visual signs its been tampered with. Not sure how stiff the adjustable knob should be mate.
Yours sound very stiff. Anyhow here is the link. Check out secton 11.

https://www.gazshocks.com/setup/fitting-advice

You might already have read this but i just wanted to link it to confirm the adjustable knob should tell you as you go down/up through the settings. Hope this helps and hope you get it sorted. I have always had a good service from Burtons but then again I have never had to return anything yet !! Good luck mate. Surely Burton will see they are faulty and replace them post included...but my guess is you just want it sorted !!

All the best Hamish

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Thanks Nick
Just to follow up, I wrote again grizzly email to Burton's (Keith Turner ) with a few pix ,he forwarded it to the Gaz people who said that ( da da da De da )they appear to have been damaged upon assembly (ooooh,hand assembled...I thought I could smell quality :wank: :xd: )and as for the click adjustment....they deleted that some 10 years ago as it caused some issues with peeps not detecting the clicks and over cranking the adjuster and thusly damaging the insert. So it would appear that all is indeed well ,so , thanks to Keith and Burton's for sorting that.....no coincidence that the 2019 Burton's catalogue turned up in the mail yesterday........kid in a lolly shop :lol:
Hamish
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Hamish

Thanks for posting this update for us mate. Great news Burton finally accepted and are sorting this out for you after obviously having sent damaged shocks to you. These errors do happen but they should have been more understanding right from the start. You are not going crazy after all fella :lol:

Thanks for the info re why there are no audible clicks. Suppose it makes sense why they decided to do away with this feature. Living so far away from Blighty suppose its difficult for you to deal with any issues you have from suppliers over here. I am guessing parts like these shocks must be difficult to source in NZ mate ??

What is the Capri spares scene like out there ?

Anyway Hamish glad it looks like you will get a replacement set sent out. Burton have always given me a great service and yep they do supply quality stuff. I too have just received their new catalogue :)

All the best mate

Nick
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Ah ,no , they ain't replacing them, apparently this is acceptable ,and if the only issue is a bit of nut damage,assuming they actually work properly , I couldn't be arsed sending them back. The apex's of the nuts are machined off a bit so they can fit under the retainer and the damage is minimal , just that it indicated to me that some penis fingered dullboot had been in there (possibly in an unsuccessful attempt to rectify the damage done by over tightening the adjuster and jamming it as per the warning In the inst , I initially believed this to be so because of the missing clicks ). According to the Gaz man adjustment is by counting 1/4 rotations of the adjuster , which is easy enough. The only thing bugging me now is that there is more damage to the nuts in the undoing direction than the tightening direction ( how do I post a pic , or I could pm you my email and you could respond to that if your keen for a look )
I get most Capri parts from either Burton's , or Rimmer's for the Rover engine , and some bits of either eBay or trade me (NZ on line auction web site ).
I see more Lambo's ,Ferrari's Aston's and even Mclaren's than Capri's round here ,I wouldn't have seen more than10 different Capri's in the whole south Island in the last 10 years and I have never seen 2 together. I would love to get window glass ,a foam rear spoiler (the guts have rusted out of mine ) good bumpers (Inc corners ) and a whole centre console (black ). There are a few parts on trade me but you gotta be quick for anything decent .
Cheers Nick
Hamish
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi Hamish

Thanks for emailing these pics to me to post on here for others to see. Yep you can deffo see where someone has had a go at those Gaz shocks mate but thankfully you say they are still perfectly useable to save you all the hassle. Glad all seems ok fella.

Now....onto the matter of the Rover V8 you are fitting. Wow !! Thanks for the pics. Looks stunning. Gonna be amazing fella....

Thanks for the pic of your Capri too Hamish. Looks lovely mate. Nice one.

Anyhow thanks for agreeing for me to post these pics for others to see. Its hard to believe that V8 will fit !! :lol: Great stuff :)

All the best mate

Nick

PS Keep us posted on this very exciting project
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That is a very nice looking Capri, and the engine looks as though it's had a lot of time spent on it to make it look as good as it goes.
I'm not sure why, but the Capri is not what I expected from Hamish. I always assumed there would be some sort of Mad Max influenced modifications..... :lol:
As Nick says, it's an exciting project and I look forward to reading more about it as work progresses.

Andrew.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Mad Max ? Nah , that's Australian.....I'm Kiwi ...we bowl over arm...... and leave the sheep alone. :lol:
Probly the only visible mods to my Capri will be (in order of importance ),get rid of the tartan upholstery ,lowered 2" , 15 X 7 superlites , and 4 pot Willwoods on 285mm vented discs....and maybe BMW headlights , same colour paint job with some black bits here and there.