2.8 rotor arm

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
rumone

2.8 rotor arm

Post by rumone »

hello all!what rotor arm do i need for my 2.8 ?the one i have removed as 6400 on the side!is that something to do with the restrictor?nto sure which one to put in it!saying that i have only had this on a couple of months and its snapped the little piece off inside!wondering if the shaft is slightly bent?
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: 2.8 rotor arm

Post by Caprigear »

The original ones had a 6100 rpm limit, it seems that the only ones available now are 6400 rpm, not that it makes any difference.
rumone

Post by rumone »

which one do i look for without the limiter on it?
340truck
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Rat - GONE
2.8 - GONE
Volvo - GONE
Only 2 Zetec SE Fezzas left now, 1.6 ghia gone. Mk 1 Focus replaces, sticking with 1.6 Zetec SE

Post by 340truck »

The limiter is there for a reason........ :roll:
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

rumone wrote:which one do i look for without the limiter on it?
I think the Granada 2.8 rotor arm didn't have a limiter fitted, however the 2.8 is a fragile motor and doesn't like being rev'd that highly. Best to stick with a standard one or end up with a big engine bill :(
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

Mine is limited to 4500rpm. :roll:

Nearly placed myself through the windscreen after I was revving the motor out, having replaced it 5 years ago from the conventional limited version I had in there previously. Thought there was something wrong with the motor, as in it was losing power at high rpm. But soon found that it did the same in every gear at the same rpm point and realised the situation (well 1st, 2nd & 3rd, as 4th and 5th are a bit high on the mph).

I am not sure whether there is any modification you can do to the 6000+ rpm versions but I could delimit mine back to standard. I actually haven't bothered based on the comments above. I pussy foot the thing about anyway, therefore, 5000+ rpm won't be seen in it by me - so probably no point in delimiting it beyond its threshold now.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

You don't need to rev the knackers off the engine to achieve peak power. Many years ago I put my Turbo Technics onto a rolling road and peak power was reached at 4800 RPM, after that the power curve dropped off slightly.
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi All,

I'm finding this post very interesting. I replaced the Limiting Rotor arm some years ago now (when as you say, it nearly put me through the windscreen when it cut in at approx 4500rpm) and have always repalced it with a non limiting arm since. The car starts and runs perfectly, no pinking etc and pulls like a train, but it does still run out of puff at approx 4800rpm anyway, (not a violent cut in power as it was with the limiting arm) so I never really do go above this anyway. Just my two peneth, cheers for now all,

John...
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

In our wild and reckless youth a friend of mine and I blew up no less then 2 2.8s on the very basis there was no rev limiter rotor arm fitted.

Makes a big mess when an engine throws a rod on a motorway!..
Have ALWAYS fitted limiters since then. Partially as I’ve slowed down now but also spare engines are not under £100 delivered to your door anymore.

Olly W