Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars Series 2

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Salvage Hunters: Classic Cars Series 2

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I just watched the latest episode. They did some great work on the Maserati's paintwork, it's amazing what can be done. What a transformation!
I can't understand the work done to the Morris Minor though. Drew got a set of wide steel wheels custom made so that the car appealed to a younger crowd, then he spent a vast amount of money, £2000, having a wicker effect hand painted onto the bodywork sides. Of course, that makes a lot of sense because young folks are well known for their love of wicker.... :sarcasmalert:
The end result was that the car owed them £10K there or there abouts. Hand painting a wicker design (haven't they heard of vinyl graphics?) is fine if you're doing it for your own taste and you are keeping the car, but why do they insist on spending thousands of pounds on unnecessary work that limits the resale appeal of the car? :headscratch:
Unless I missed something, neither the Morris Minor or the Maserati were shown on the programme as finding a buyer.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yours for £10495 Sir
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1056948
Great find, Jason!
Obviously it hasn't sold yet.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I just watched the latest episode. They did some great work on the Maserati's paintwork, it's amazing what can be done. What a transformation!
I can't understand the work done to the Morris Minor though. Drew got a set of wide steel wheels custom made so that the car appealed to a younger crowd, then he spent a vast amount of money, £2000, having a wicker effect hand painted onto the bodywork sides. Of course, that makes a lot of sense because young folks are well known for their love of wicker.... :sarcasmalert:
The end result was that the car owed them £10K there or there abouts. Hand painting a wicker design (haven't they heard of vinyl graphics?) is fine if you're doing it for your own taste and you are keeping the car, but why do they insist on spending thousands of pounds on unnecessary work that limits the resale appeal of the car? :headscratch:
Unless I missed something, neither the Morris Minor or the Maserati were shown on the programme as finding a buyer.

Andrew.
I think they barked up the wrong tree with the Moggy Minor. They would have been better to have spent their money having the rust in the wings repaired then perhaps something useful on a Minor - a disc brake conversion and a servo. If he still wanted to alter the wheels then a set of period but replica mini lights would have looked nice on it and would have cost a third of what he paid for those banded wheels. Overall I think they spent too much on the car and ruined it into the process and they will be very lucky to get their outlay back.

One thing that always amazes me whenever a Minor Traveller is on a resto programme is seeing these guys in little wooden shacks who make the rear wooden frames for them. They are true artisans. I tried wood steam bending when I was at college and it is a skill, just like anything else to do with wood, that I will never posess.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:One thing that always amazes me whenever a Minor Traveller is on a resto programme is seeing these guys in little wooden shacks who make the rear wooden frames for them. They are true artisans.
Hi Paul, I couldn't agree more.
Another benefit of being a man in a shed is that they don't have the overheads that a big concern would charge. I couldn't believe how little the chap charged for performing so much skilled work.
Paul G wrote: Overall I think they spent too much on the car and ruined it into the process and they will be very lucky to get their outlay back.
:agree: Too much unnecessary and expensive work, simply to achieve Drew's vision of the perfect Traveller. If the car hasn't yet sold, it would appear that the buyer's don't share the same vision at that price.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes the wood work at £100 was so good really , never had ago at wood steaming I know it would come in handy with clocks but don’t think the cost would add any value to the clock only perhaps a grandfather .
Yes looking at the moggys pictures I would have to sort that roof out as that really does need a paint job now as the rest of the car looks ok .

I enjoy the programme also wish there was more about the car and how they fix them up then that little pilchards going on
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: :agree: Too much unnecessary and expensive work, simply to achieve Drew's vision of the perfect Traveller. If the car hasn't yet sold, it would appear that the buyer's don't share the same vision at that price.

Andrew.
Hopefully catch this episode later.
For someone who loves originality, he certainly doesn't show it :? It's not about making a car you like, it's what others will want....
The MGC in last weeks episode would have looked crap with colour coded wheels that Drew insisted on. Luckily Paul went over his head and kept them chrome.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

It appears that the new series has ended already, after only 5 episodes. Although it's not the best car programme out there, it's better than some others and I wouldn't mind seeing more episodes.

I notice that Turbo Pickers, featuring Paul Cowland, is being repeated on Quest. The next airing is Saturday at 6 AM. I haven't seen any Turbo Pickers episodes, I'll definitely give that a go.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

The Salvage Hunters Capri episode is on Quest Saturday June 8th at 7pm, for anyone that missed it or wants to watch again.

I just watched the WD Series 13 Camaro episode, where among many other mods they dropped in a 383 Stroker engine :wub: https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5hx9gi