ESRT 32PS radio cassette player info.

Please restrict your questions and replies to Capri related technical issues!
Brooksy
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1987 2.0 laser (fair weather car)

ESRT 32PS radio cassette player info.

Post by Brooksy »

Apologies if this is something most of you already know about but I thought I'd share a bit of info on the ESRT 32PS.

I'd noticed that my cassette tapes were playing slowly so set about doing a bit of research. The drive belt on my unit was replaced not long ago and it didn't appear to be slipping. I'd read about adjusting the play speed via the potentiometer on the motor. I managed to find it and made an adjustment that has resulted in the tapes playing at the correct speed; always preferable. :)

After removing the unit and carefully bending the side tabs outwards, remove the bottom metal cover. Taking care not to touch or damage the internals, you should see the motor to the right. (see photos).

There is a small access hole on the motor that is covered by an equally small black rubber dust cover. (see photo). I used a small crosshead screwdriver and pushed through the dust cover, which has a crosshead design. (I disconnected the unit first, adjusted then reconnected to check). Turn clockwise to speed up and anticlockwise to slow down. Mine only needed a tiny adjustment and took a couple of attempts before I was happy.
Nige Image
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: ESRT 32PS radio cassette player info.

Post by Jasonmarie »

That’s a great piece of advice I bet your” walking on the moon” (The police ) & now when out your tapes “Don’t Stop” & you can “Go your own way “ ( Fleetwood mac ) the other tapes look like U2 & Eraser? Won’t go there with that one :lol:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Nice one Nige, mine wasn't great when I tried it so maybe a job for you here while I make the coffee :wave: :lol:
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

:lol:

Well spotted Jason!
Yep, Fleetwood Mac, Police and the other two are New Order and Joy Division. I do have a few others too but they're ones I'm not so proud to own shall we say :oops:
Jasonmarie wrote:That’s a great piece of advice I bet your” walking on the moon” (The police ) & now when out your tapes “Don’t Stop” & you can “Go your own way “ ( Fleetwood mac ) the other tapes look like U2 & Eraser? Won’t go there with that one :lol:
Nige Image
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

andyd wrote:Nice one Nige, mine wasn't great when I tried it so maybe a job for you here while I make the coffee :wave: :lol:
Hi Andy

Of course, no probs. I know you V6 chaps have the burble of your engine/exhaust soundtrack but sometimes it's nice to put on the old cassette too ;)

I know it's only a little thing fixed but I'm glad I've sorted it; I'm definitely no auto electrician! :lol:

:cheers:
Nige Image
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

This is excellent advice mate. Did not know about this 'speed adjuster' on this radio. Alot, inc myself, tend to automatically think the pully is on the blink when the speed is incorrect. What a brilliant bit of info :applaud:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

This is excellent advice. I did not know of this 'speed adjuster' on these radios. I would guess like myself alot of people would presume the drive belt was as fault when the speed was incorrect. This is brilliant info. Nice one. :applaud:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Brooksy
Donator
Donator

Post by Brooksy »

:cool:
Fordoholic Nick wrote:This is excellent advice. I did not know of this 'speed adjuster' on these radios. I would guess like myself alot of people would presume the drive belt was as fault when the speed was incorrect. This is brilliant info. Nice one. :applaud:
Nige Image